Brewer Fanatic

Chapman to Dodgers for 2 Prospects on hold (Latest: MLB investigating alleged October domestic violence incident involving Chapman)

bill hAll Star

Within the division I'm happy the Reds aren't getting Urias, Seager, or De Leon. if it means getting Holmes. I like Holmes too but he's no different to me than Cody Ponce's potential. For LA to only give up 2 prospects and not their 3 best is remarkable because giving Chapman a QO is going to happen. So then it's just 1 prospect given up. Peraza for Chapman and Holmes for QOpick. Not enough imo for Chapman.

Within the division I'm happy the Reds aren't getting Urias, Seager, or De Leon. if it means getting Holmes. I like Holmes too but he's no different to me than Cody Ponce's potential. For LA to only give up 2 prospects and not their 3 best is remarkable because giving Chapman a QO is going to happen. So then it's just 1 prospect given up. Peraza for Chapman and Holmes for QOpick. Not enough imo for Chapman.

Chapman is great and all, but he is still a reliever on a one year deal that would take a record deal to keep around. Really hard convincing a team to break the farm for that and to be honest they should have traded him long before now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
None of Urias, Seager, or de Leon headed to the Reds. Maybe Holmes, though. Which sucks, because I like Grant Holmes.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/reds-trade-aroldis-chapman-dodgers.html

I think Holmes is going to great. I hate that we'll have to face the guy down the road if he's part of the deal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Remember a few years ago when everyone thought the Reds pitching was going to carry them to multiple division titles? No guarantees in baseball.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Chapman should be starting so if the Dodgers can convince him to do that, they hit a home run in my book.

He is a 2 pitcher pitcher and the drop in velocity from starting would take his dominant fastball down a notch. I would also be concerned with his control.

Well you can scratch the Dodgers trade and any future one. Reports say Aroldis Chapman shot up his house and choked his girlfriend.

I would also like to say how sad it is that someone fired a gun into a wall 7 times and 1 time through a window and didn't get arrested when accused of domestic violence along with it.

This is bizarre. The incident reportedly happened in October. A dozen officers were dispatched, and no arrests were made.

Here's a link:

Police report: Aroldis Chapman fired gunshots, 'choked' girlfriend in domestic incident

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If he gets charged and convicted of even domestic battery he could be facing the Slava Voynov treatment. Voynov, a defenseman for the LA Kings was convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence charges. On July 2, 2015, Voynov pleaded no contest to a reduced misdemeanor charge and was sentenced to 90 days in jail. He received three years probation and was ordered to attend counseling.

On September 3, Voynov was released from Seal Beach Police Detention Center, where he was being held since July 7. Upon his release he was taken into custody by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, where they held him at an unspecified detention facility to await trial in front of an immigration judge. Voynov was held without bond, which is common when ICE thinks the subject is a danger to the community or flight risk.

All of this for a misdemeanor DV conviction, of which I see multiple times a month in my profession - in other words it can be relatively small potatoes, but as a non-citizen it is effectively ending Voynov's career here in the States. If Chapman is charged and immigration treats him the same way he could be headed out of here.

I have no issue with deporting non-citizens that are charged with domestic violence. Just because its "common" doesn't mean we want more of it.

I agree with you, for the record, just pointing out how much a non-citizen has to lose if they cannot control their anger. Chances are though, if no charges are filed now, they wont be, unless a Ray Rice video pops up.

Another report says the Red Sox were targeting Chapman and discovered this incident while doing a background check, and shifted focus to Kimbrel instead.

Which raises a few questions, some more important than others.

When the Red Sox found out about this, did they alert the MLB offices? Were the Reds even aware of this incident since no charges were filed?

It's interesting that the media was tipped off when the Dodgers made this discovery (I'm assuming they discovered it during their background check/due diligence before consumating the deal), yet no one in the media knew about it when the Red Sox were digging into his history. Manfred needs to get out in front of this and have full transparency into at least when they knew about the incident, so they don't end up with a Ray Rice/Roger Goodell nightmare scenario where they pretend to not know about certain things going on. But these things will take some time since it's new territory for them. Have we heard any ruling on Jose Reyes after his DV incident?

Gruber Lawffices

How does he not get sighted for firing a firearm in the city?

Says his Miami-area home so it is possible he lives outside city limits. It also says one bullet went in a field so that might support that claim. He also has a 10,000 square foot house so maybe another sign his house isn't in the city limits of whatever said city.

EDIT: Seems as though he lives in Davies, Florida in a cramped area....so I agree, shocking he wasn't charged for that.

Over/Under he gets traded before season? Over/Under they trade him midseason?

Feel like the first is next to nothing and even the second is pretty darn low. Wonder if MLB will try to suspend him in some manner...though no arrest etc. might make that a bit hard.

I know some teams don't value character that much, but trading for a guy who will get angry and starting shooting up his garage seems to cross a line. To be honest that is a little scary.

I have no issue with deporting non-citizens that are charged with domestic violence. Just because its "common" doesn't mean we want more of it.

I'm not sure how precise you meant to be here, but subjecting noncitizens to deportation merely for being charged with crimes would work a huge change in the law. The Immigration and Nationality Act makes noncitizens deportable upon conviction for certain classes of crimes. Charging and conviction, of course, are two very different things. If you did mean to advocate this change, I would strongly disagree, for all the standard process reasons (and I'm a hawk on domestic violence).

I'm not sure how precise you meant to be here, but subjecting noncitizens to deportation merely for being charged with crimes would work a huge change in the law. The Immigration and Nationality Act makes noncitizens deportable upon conviction for certain classes of crimes. Charging and conviction, of course, are two very different things. If you did mean to advocate this change, I would strongly disagree, for all the standard process reasons (and I'm a hawk on domestic violence).

Completely agree. It would take a conviction in my book.

Says his Miami-area home so it is possible he lives outside city limits. It also says one bullet went in a field so that might support that claim. He also has a 10,000 square foot house so maybe another sign his house isn't in the city limits of whatever said city.

EDIT: Seems as though he lives in Davies, Florida in a cramped area....so I agree, shocking he wasn't charged for that.

Well it is Florida...

Given the lack of physical evidence for the domestic violence, and the lack of an arrest, it will be hard for MLB to do much. Does anybody know what if anything in the CBA covers this?

I'm glad the Brewers already traded K-Rod before this popped up in the news. Chapman probably won't be traded any time soon, and the return late in the off-season won't be all that good. I expect this will have blown over enough that the Reds can get something decent at the trade deadline.

Well it is Florida...

Given the lack of physical evidence for the domestic violence, and the lack of an arrest, it will be hard for MLB to do much. Does anybody know what if anything in the CBA covers this?

I'm glad the Brewers already traded K-Rod before this popped up in the news. Chapman probably won't be traded any time soon, and the return late in the off-season won't be all that good. I expect this will have blown over enough that the Reds can get something decent at the trade deadline.

Yes MLB has the "Actions Detrimental to Baseball" clause where the commissioner can fine/suspend/ban as he sees fit. This is what the players in Biogenesis were labeled with. Any suspension would surely be appealed and I would assume go to the three vote system with a hearing and an independent arbitrator.

Archived