Brewer Fanatic

Padres/adding salary

The Padres have dire situations in left field and shortstop and have a very pricy but interesting guy in Tyson Ross (23 quality starts last year) that has been attracting a great deal of interest. A deal of Segura and Khrush Davis for Ross might be of some interest even though he does not fit our profile...we have the salary space and he might be a VERY attractive piece. We just happen to match up very well with the Padres needs.

No way I'd give up Davis for Ross straight up, much less with Segura for a guy who's only under control for 2 more seasons. Davis should contend for HR title the next few seasons and he's under control 2 years longer than Ross. I'm not completely sold on Santana being able to step right in for Davis at this point either. He's got to prove it over a full season.

If you're doing something like this you still need prospects coming back.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

How about Matt Garza, Khris Davis and Jean Segura for Tyson Ross, OF Hunter Renfroe, and SS Franchy Cordero?

The Garza/Ross deal exchanges big contracts (and Garza may rebound a bit in Petco Field). Renfroe plugs into right field, allowing Braun to go to left. Cordero becomes a high-offensive ceiling guy with a lefty bat at shortstop, which around 2018 could make for some interesting options (he moves to second, third, or the outfield).

Why another OF? We have Santana that needs a real long look this year. And not in CF.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not sure that trade make sense for either side. Adding Segura is not going to fix anyone's problem at SS. Ross is a fine pitcher and not expensive like some of you are making him out to be. Not to mention the Padres don't really want to trade him because they at least want to pretend to compete.

Why another OF? We have Santana that needs a real long look this year. And not in CF.

Actually, I can live with a Braun/Santana/Renfroe outfield if the deal I suggested were made.

Santana has played 24 games in center as a major leaguer, 21 of them starts, and only 7 full games, per Baseball Reference. In theminors, he played another 12, with 11 starts. So, professionally, he's had 36 games in center field. That strikes me as a small sample size. Why not give him all of 2016 in center, and get a larger sample, especially given that he seems to have good OBP skills and a power bat?

Santana's got the chance to post some very good OPS numbers over the next few years. If he's in center, he'll get overvalued by someone, and can be flipped for better prospects than if hes a corner OF or a 1B (should the Brewers decide to take that course of action). But let's not obsess over a potent offensive player's issues on defense. Eight years ago, I think the Brewers made that mistake with Ryan Braun, and rather than have the hot corner be a non-issue for the next five-plus years, they got a revolving door there with Bill Hall, Casey McGehee, Aramis Ramirez, and others. I'd rather not see the Brewers make that kind of mistake again. When you have a plus bat at a position, DON'T MOVE HIM!!!! With Santana, center field is not a problem that needs to be urgently addressed, just as third base was not a problem that needed to be addressed after the 2007 season. If Maverick Phillips looks to be very good then either trade Santana or move him to another position, but I don't see the urgency of moving Santana from center field.

That said, I don't think the Padres are a good trade partner for the Crew, especially with Khris Davis involved. I wouldn't even deal Davis unless I'm blown away (a Davis-Santana-Braun outfield for 2016 doesn't sound too bad to me, either).

Since the Padres are going to try and compete (I'd likely rebuild completely if I were them) they have an immediate hole at SS and 1B, as long as they play Meyers in LF-which id do before sliding him all the way down the defensive spectrum. They also have a young catcher in Austin Hedges sort of blocked at the bigs. He'd be a good target in exchange for Lind and Segura. Segura is solid enough defensively to hold down SS for their youngsters coming up.

The Brewers could start hedges in AAA until Lucroys traded mid season

Which team is rebuilding and which team is building for a Playoff push? In any trade, I consider the team getting the best player overall to be the winner so long as the price isn't crazy. Ross, w/o a doubt is the best player in trade. Why do the Padres give up his talent for anything less than Arcia or Phillips to start a trade? And then if the Brewers are being forced to give up that type of prospect, why in a rebuild are they acquiring Ross?

The idea is crude for both teams. As it's a sideways move with no plan for the future. I'd say the Brewers by far win because trading Ross midseason, next offseason, or next mid season will bring back a far better return than Davis/Segura...Unless the original trade involves Arcia or Phillips which you just don't do if you're Milw.

How much does Petco field play into his numbers being what they are?

As to LF troubles for the Padres. CF is really their big problem. Kemp and Myers should be your corner OFs. BJ upton can hold down CF with Myers and Hunter Renfroe probably just gets his shot after the team gets its 7th year of 6year team control.

Yes, I'm not high on Segura but SS is the Padres Blackhole to fill. There's been talks previously of both Segura and then Sardinas. I'd expect of all likely trades to happen Segura to the Padres is the most likely. Maybe you can nab a young lower type of prospect with a higher ceiling like Enyel De Los Santos, Dinelson Lamet, or Jose Castillo.

Padres got Margot in trade who's listed as a CF. He's only got AA experience but with Renfroe I wouldn't be surprised if the team played the hotter batter and let Myers/Upton at CF and keep the other in AAA. Doesn't leave a need in OF.

Edit to respond:

How much does Petco field play into his numbers being what they are?

Seen the guy pitch. It helps but unlike Odrisamer Despaigne, He has pitching talent. For whatever reason, he's been awful vs AL teams. 3 worst ERA teams against 14Gms:25.2 49hits 38runs 13.33ERA.

Remove those games He's at 3.18ERA for career. Those 3 teams are Red Sox, Orioles, and Rays.

I'll be very curious to see if Stearns sees Santana as a longterm option or even values him as a prospect that highly. Rumors were that the Astros were happy to get rid of him and Stearns comes out of that Astros front office think tank. Santana strikes out a heckuva lot and is more of a "3TO" type offensive player, which doesn't fit into the trend of MLB Sabermetrics these days (high contact hitters are being prized more), or how the Astros have been building their team. (See the Astros non-tendering Chris Carter as further evidence of that type of mindset).

The Brewers already have enough of those 3TO guys (Khris Davis) and Stearns' trade for Villar seems to fit more into the Royals/Astros viewpoint of strong defense high contact versatile players.

Santana really doesn't project as a CF either

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'll be very curious to see if Stearns sees Santana as a longterm option or even values him as a prospect that highly. Rumors were that the Astros were happy to get rid of him and Stearns comes out of that Astros front office think tank. Santana strikes out a heckuva lot and is more of a "3TO" type offensive player, which doesn't fit into the trend of MLB Sabermetrics these days (high contact hitters are being prized more), or how the Astros have been building their team. (See the Astros non-tendering Chris Carter as further evidence of that type of mindset).

The Brewers already have enough of those 3TO guys (Khris Davis) and Stearns' trade for Villar seems to fit more into the Royals/Astros viewpoint of strong defense high contact versatile players.

Santana really doesn't project as a CF either

I don't think the Brewers need to go ALL the way in an Astros/Royals mode. The real issue is going to be figuring out how to keep ace-type pitchers. The better option maybe to assemble the killer bullpen, and go for a bunch of #2/#3 starters as opposed to trying to find those #1 starters, who will end up either being traded (like Gallardo and Greinke) or walk as free agents (like Sabathia) because someone will offer them $25 million plus per season.

A passable CF with the ability hit 35 homers would be a nice chip to have next offseason - or to use as a building block.

Archived