Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke to Diamondbacks

jjkoestler

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
6 years...waiting on dollar figure.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Interesting. Maybe they don't want Peralta anymore. Either way I wish we had Greinke. Glad to see a different team make a splash though.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Interesting. Maybe they don't want Peralta anymore. Either way I wish we had Greinke. Glad to see a different team make a splash though.

On the flip side if they are in "go for it" mode it might be a good time to target some of their young pitching prospects via trade.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Does this even make them a wild card contender? Even despite the fact that these contracts always end up bad, this still seems like a stupid move for them. No one has ever said Dave Stewart has a clue.

They won 79 games last year. Huge improvement and they have a solid offense. The only question in my mind, outside of the usual bullpen for any tean, is their starting rotation. It isn't all that deep and they could struggle if injuries hit them. I would expect them to go get another solid starter by trade...but that is just me.

At what point do these players start coming back and buying franchises after they are thru playing.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's utterly ridiculous that MLB does absolutely nothing to limit these salaries. It's just gotten to the point of complete and utter ridiculousness.

MLB players make substantially more than all the other major sports (who also make way too much money). I simply don't get it and as I've said before, with each passing season I get closer and closer to not following any more until something changes - which to me seems like will likely never happen.

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 38m38 minutes ago

Can't wait to hear more from MLB now about how teams can't afford to pay minor league players the minimum wage.

If they're going for it, they might be a possible landing spot for Segura and/or Lucroy.

It's utterly ridiculous that MLB does absolutely nothing to limit these salaries. It's just gotten to the point of complete and utter ridiculousness.

MLB players make substantially more than all the other major sports (who also make way too much money). I simply don't get it and as I've said before, with each passing season I get closer and closer to not following any more until something changes - which to me seems like will likely never happen.

Pro sports are billion dollar industries. All that money has to go somewhere. It could go to owners or players. Either way, some group of people is getting ridiculously rich. Until the public stops giving those billions of dollars, nothing is going to change.

Agreed. It is completely out of control. Forecasting 5-10 years, the Brewers need an absolute string of luck to have years of draft picks turn out, make all the right trades and end up with a window like the Royals

What does Goldschmidt get? 10yr $400m?

Try Harper. I doubt goldy gets that because of his age at FA, which will be 33.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At what point do these players start coming back and buying franchises after they are thru playing.

I think when Attanasio bought the Brewers he paid something like $6 million more than the total value of the David Price contract.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It takes two to tango. You aren't just going to put in a hard salary cap and call it a day. The players union isn't going to roll with that.

I also think you guys are making a bigger deal about this than it really is. Yes player salaries are going up, but so is the amount of money these teams are making. Yes other teams payrolls are going up, but so will the Brewers. Others teams had big increases in TV deals and the Brewers will watch theirs increase too.

As long as the luxury tax stays on its current pace(increased slightly every handful of years) I don't expect the playing field to be any more or less uneven. It is pretty clear teams do not want to go over that luxury tax and will stay under it.

It's really hard to predict since the game is evolving so rapidly, but I don't think there is any cause for outcry yet.

1. How exactly would MLB go about with a plan to limit salaries which wouldn't involve collusion?

2. The players are getting this level of money only because the owners are raking in huge revenues via monster cable TV rights packages, along with national TV money and cash from attendance. Maybe at some point the huge boom in TV rights bubble will burst, but right now at least, sports of all kinds be it pro and college are getting massive TV contracts because it's something which most viewers watch live vs recording shows on their DVR and fast forwarding right through the commercials. That fits me to a tee. I DVR nearly every show i like, but watch many sporting events live.

3. As for MLB salaries being higher compared to other sports, that's about to change with the NBA. Starting next season as the new NBA TV contracts kick in, their salary cap will rise dramatically in kind and thus will player salaries. So the top players in the NBA will make 30-plus million a year and the rest of their players will also see salaries rise just as will happen in MLB to where hypothetically just a slightly above average starting pitcher will command 15 million per or more.

The NFL players don't get the same level of money as MLB and NBA players do, but that has a lot to do simply with roster sizes. The overall pie of NFL salary money has to be split between 53 players, but only 25 in MLB and 15 in the NBA.

Archived