Brewer Fanatic

Garin Cecchini

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cecchini looks a lot like a guy who needs a change of scenery.

Two years ago it was said he got away from his game and tried to hit for more power. I don't know if he just lost it last year, but getting away from the Boston system might be the best thing for him.

The guy could hit up through 2013. Took a lot of walks. He had a .404 OBP at AA in 2013 - not a lot of guys do that.

If the club thinks he can be rescued, I'd totally give the guy a flyer. Just know that he might not hit for much power - maybe 8-10 HR. But he could hit for a decent average and get on base.

Cecchini is not supposed to be much of a fielder. Average at best. Boston moved him around a lot - 1B, 2B, OF - to try and get him some ABs. But I'd just put him at 3B and say play your game. Get back to how you hit prior to 2014, and work on your defense as much as possible. If things fail, we just move on.

Would make a lot of sense. Might be one of the reasons he wanted all those 40 man spots open. Could easily pick him up and throw him into the mix with all the other guys we have picked up this off season. I probably wouldn't give him first shot at either 3B or 1B, but I am sure someone will not work out or get injured paving the way for him to get a shot to hit everyday.

Or the Brewers could trade a marginal minor league asset for him. Hernan Perez comes to mind.

Both Perez and Villar were better hitters in the major leagues last year than Cecchini was in the minors and they are all the same age. Defensively it's not even close. Because a guy once was a prospect doesn't make him one now.

Red Sox just DFA'd left handed batting 3B Garin Cecchini. I'm hoping Sterns puts in a waiver claim on him.

He had an off year last season at AAA but still hit .279 with a .372 obp throughout his minor league career and is just 24 years old.

It's worth a flyer, IMO.

It's an extremely small sample size but Cecchini has hit RHP pretty well in his MLB career. .276/.382/.483/.865

I'd actually be willing to trade someone like Troy Stokes for a shot at getting him for 6 years. I imagine the Red Sox would be looking for prospects young enough that they wouldn't have to put them on the 40 man roster.

@WiscoSportsNut

I'd actually be willing to trade someone like Troy Stokes for a shot at getting him for 6 years.

It wouldn't take that much and no way I would do that. I will take a flyer on him, but I am not giving up value for him.

Agreed. Maybe trade Milan Post, Henry Correa, or Francisco Castillo for him. But not much more.

BTW, doesn't Milan Post sound cool as a name?

I'd actually be willing to trade someone like Troy Stokes for a shot at getting him for 6 years.

It wouldn't take that much and no way I would do that. I will take a flyer on him, but I am not giving up value for him.

That's why I suggested Hernan Perez.... I don't know if Cecchini would ever be better than Perez, but I'd gladly take a flyer on an actual 3B rather than yet another nondescript middle IF manning 3B in a continuingly nondescript way.

That's why I suggested Hernan Perez.... I don't know if Cecchini would ever be better than Perez, but I'd gladly take a flyer on an actual 3B rather than yet another nondescript middle IF manning 3B in a continuingly nondescript way.

Perez is too much value for someone the Sox just DFA'd. Heck, I'd like to platoon Perez at second with Gennett.

The Brewers just DFA'd Perez. One DFA'd guy can't be worth that much more than the other.

I'd keep Herrera over Perez and find a way to add Cecchini or someone like him. I don't know that much about Cecchini (I glanced at his stats & saw his nice history until a couple seasons ago) and I really don't care. Perez was a "throw things at the wall and see what sticks" type of acquisition; to me Cecchini would be the same thing, but an actual 3B rather than a utility IF who can play 3B.

Garin is def worth it. We have no options at 3B really as of now. It is a Dominquez no risk, possible big reward. Why not gamble? Talent is there cheap.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Very nice. We are building an IF that could be putrid but also could find some diamonds in the rough. Ya just never know.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived