Sox get Hamels, Maldonado

Crew gets Cecchini

Philies get Swihart, another Sox prospect

Crew can utilize C at AAA

Crew gets 3B depth

Sox get Ace and C to replace Swihart

Phillies get 2 prospects and salary relief

Thoughts on this as a base?

Why would this be a 3 way deal? In your scenario, it's Maldonado for Cecchini straight up isn't it? Would open up a spot for Centeno if they really liked him. Problem is that if you want to play Lucroy vs. lefties at 1B, it makes little sense for a LH backup catcher. I'd make a play for Navarro, whose bat is good enough to play enough to allow Lucroy to move to 1B against all lefties.

If the Red Sox don't give up Swihart, why would they want Maldonado?

Sox get their Ace, still have C after Swihart is gone

Philly gets their prospects and Swihart, which is supposedly the sticking point in the Hamels trade

Crew gets a young 3rd

Just throwing things out there, crew needs to do something to get a good young 3rd baseman and the only thing of value that I can see depth wise is Maldy or perhaps one of the SS that we recently acquired.....

What he's arguing is that Maldonado for Cechini equals a no-brainer N-O! Brewers would have to throw in a prospect. Something like Taylor Williams or Jorge Lopez. I feel like this proposal is for a hatred towards Maldonado and a love for whatever reason the Brewers AAA C prospect. Where are these guys coming from? Somebody liked a catcher who I never heard of in another thread because of his OB skills? That of what .330s? OB skills to me is .370s+ .330s is average. We lost the good catcher in the organization to the Dodgers via a trade...Shawn Zarraga I believe.

I for one really like Maldonado as a backup catcher. He has defensive skills, and a little pop which to me is fine. To me has a lot of value in trade, but to other teams? I doubt it. Especially for Cecchini who has the future 3b role on a team like Milwaukee. You're fixing a problem for Milwaukee to get a backup atcher. I wouldn't want to help a team in that dire situation unless if was Milw giving up a Hamels in trade...an actual playoff starter for a future poor team's franchise fix at 3b.

Since we will have a big hole at 3B following the 2015 season, Cecchini seems like a good target and has been brought up a number of times. However, I don't really see it happening at this time. The best bet to get him will be mid-season if we're selling and the Red Sox are buying. We would have some good chips at that time, and that's probably our best bet to shore up 3B for the future.

Otherwise, we would probably be looking at the rare prospect-for-prospect trade. He's probably not worth Arcia, but we'd likely have to give up something like Coulter or a couple of our promising guys in the low minors.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We should just trade for Swihart ourselves and either put him at 3B or move Lucroy there.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I agree that Cecchini should be a target (even if management is high on Jimenez as a possible 3B answer).

Does a trade from our strength make sense?

MI (Sardinas) & RP (Kintzler/Broxton/Wooten) enough? Too much?

I know Boston has some middle infield strength already (Pedroia, Bogaerts, Marrero, Moncada) but could one of those or Sardinas be used in future deal for Boston to get Hamels?

I agree that Cecchini should be a target (even if management is high on Jimenez as a possible 3B answer).

I know Boston has some middle infield strength already (Pedroia, Bogaerts, Marrero, Moncada) but could one of those or Sardinas be used in future deal for Boston to get Hamels?

Dont think Sardinas and Kintzler would get it done.

Competant young 3rd basemen are a rarity in baseball these days. I would guess the crew would have to give pitching to get Cecchini and my concern is that he is an overhyped BOS/NYY prospect.

I'd rather the crew get in touch with Jack Z. and go after someone like Stefen Romero from the Mariners who is blocked by Kyle Seager. More of an under the radar guy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cecchini isn't a top 100 guy anymore. Probably more like a 150ish player. Sardinas would probably be enough to get him - a former top 100 guy who hasn't quite developed as expected.

I think people see Cecchini as a fringe regular - at best. I've read some reports that question his ability to be a big league 3B, and he's more likely to be a utility guy - 3B, 2B, 1B, corner OF. He probably profiles best as a 1B - but he doesn't have the pop you want (plus Boston has guys there). That all said, his great 2013 is tantalizing.

If the Brewers are trading away Sardinas I hope they are getting someone back better than Cecchini. While I like Cecchini he just isn't worth Sardinas alone let alone anything added in a package.

Cecchini isn't a top 100 guy anymore. Probably more like a 150ish player. Sardinas would probably be enough to get him - a former top 100 guy who hasn't quite developed as expected.

I think people see Cecchini as a fringe regular - at best. I've read some reports that question his ability to be a big league 3B, and he's more likely to be a utility guy - 3B, 2B, 1B, corner OF. He probably profiles best as a 1B - but he doesn't have the pop you want (plus Boston has guys there). That all said, his great 2013 is tantalizing.

This is exactly it for me. I understand we need depth at 3B in our minors and a guy we think can be our next there because Aram is gone after this year but honestly, Rogers might be better than this guy. Key word, might. And he is in our own system. Not only do we have him but Jimenz again, might be better than Cecchini and again, he is in our own system. Now, would I like to add Cecchini for some depth and possible have a guy that can play a ton of positions? Sure. But giving up one of our better prospects (Sardinas) for this guy would be a terrible organizational move.

I'd move Sardinas, Lohse or Garza and another prospect for Swihart though. Boston I'm sure would decline but he might be the next Posey.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Listen to Ron Roenicke discuss Jason Rogers at the tail end of his conversation with the media here (go to the 41:45 minute mark). His words are dripping with the implication that he's not a 3rd baseman, he says repeatedly "he's a nice offensive player", and he even mentions that Rogers is a likely trade piece (in so many words...).

Yeah, not too often you hear a manager saying a player could get an opportunity with another team while he is still on your roster. I don't see him filling a role on this team now or in the future if they don't see him ever playing third.

I agree with the two posts above. On one hand, it makes sense that the Brewers have lots of 1B-capable depth right now. However, between guys' injury histories (Lind & even Lucroy), plus the fact that Jimenez hasn't proven squat at the MLB level, it makes no sense to ditch a good bat. So Roenicke's comments are perplexing. The Brewers just normally aren't a team to tip their hand that blatantly, and they're not really deep MLB-ready talent in AAA, either.

The possibility exists that this might be part of a move they're on the verge of making and Rogers would be who they'd clear from the 40-man in order to keep Perez. But it's 2 days later and nothing's gone down, so if that's the answer, it obviously wasn't THAT imminent on Thursday when Roenicke made those remarks. . . . which again makes those comments seem weird.

rogers is a first baseman they tried to move to third; it did not work; dont crucify an athletic first baseman who is below average at third; this is why the trewers are bad defensively across the system; they draft high k, long ball, no D guys; then they move them around like a video game

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Some comments from the Boston Globe's Nick Carfardo about Cecchini in a mailbag article:

"I don’t think the Phillies are scouting Cecchini. In fact I know their evaluators have concerns about Cecchini’s third base play and his ability to convert to the outfield. His bat is of interest to a few teams, but from the people I deal with the Phillies, there’s not a huge interest there."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/03/23/ask-nick-should-dustin-pedroia-feel-heat/0yFtIYMcr7pGZRTYjKtotK/story.html

I like Cecchini's bat, but I've heard the concerns about his defense from several sources.

What about a deal centered around Cecchini for Maldonado (possible others involved from both sides)?

With the news of Christian Vazquez's MRI showing "something" with his right elbow, will the Red Sox be looking for catching help?

1. Article came out this week stating that the Brewers like what they see from new catcher Juan Centeno. “He’s improving all the time from what we’ve seen,” said Roenicke. “When he first came here, he maybe wasn’t comfortable. It’s hard when you change teams, and he’s trying to impress. He’s a nice player; will be a nice backup for us.”

2. Red Sox may want to buy some time before calling up Blake Swihart to take over catching position.

• 8 months later...

Red Sox just DFA'd left handed batting 3B Garin Cecchini. I'm hoping Sterns puts in a waiver claim on him.

He had an off year last season at AAA but still hit .279 with a .372 obp throughout his minor league career and is just 24 years old.

Red Sox just DFS left handed batting 3B Garin Cecchini. I'm hoping Sterns puts in a waiver claim on him.

He had an off year last season at AAA but still hit .279 with a .372 obp throughout his minor league career and is just 24 years old.

Count me in for claiming him off waivers. Plays 3B, 1B and LF while providing a decent OBP.

Archived