Brewer Fanatic

Dylan Bundy

According to Fangraphs, Braun had a FA value last year of 22.7mil. He's moving from his obvious weaker and detrimental to WAR value RF back to LF. He won't be pegged down so hard on defense value and with an offensive year similar to last his value rises to 25mil+ in FA dollars. The contract is very much a cheap contract and will only become cheaper as another season passes. Taking on an out of options Bundy is not worth Braun sorry. Bundy at this point is like taking back Daniel Hudson and hoping he gives you innings. He's pitched less than 100innings in the last 3seasons. He doesn't even have over 103+IP as a professional in a single season. Starter? good luck. He's a Reliever having no options. I don't even think he could give a team this year as a RP 55innings. We should get him plus prospects for Chase Anderson alone. Because with him having to turn in to a Reliever, he's pitched in 45games his entire professional career. He'll have to pitch in more than 45games to get you 55IP. How's that injury riddled body going to hold up to that? Dylan Bundy is a yes if it costs Anderson, Garza, or Jungmann.

Bundy will have to be DL'd 4 or 5times on 15day where he's getting starts in the minors as a recovery term to have a chance because having him on that 25man is going to be wasting space to the tune of WCW.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to Fangraphs, Braun had a FA value last year of 22.7mil. He's moving from his obvious weaker and detrimental to WAR value RF back to LF. He won't be pegged down so hard on defense value and with an offensive year similar to last his value rises to 25mil+ in FA dollars. The contract is very much a cheap contract and will only become cheaper as another season passes. Taking on an out of options Bundy is not worth Braun sorry. Bundy at this point is like taking back Daniel Hudson and hoping he gives you innings. He's pitched less than 100innings in the last 3seasons. He doesn't even have over 103+IP as a professional in a single season. Starter? good luck. He's a Reliever having no options. I don't even think he could give a team this year as a RP 55innings. We should get him plus prospects for Chase Anderson alone. Because with him having to turn in to a Reliever, he's pitched in 45games his entire professional career. He'll have to pitch in more than 45games to get you 55IP. How's that injury riddled body going to hold up to that? Dylan Bundy is a yes if it costs Anderson, Garza, or Jungmann.

Bundy will have to be DL'd 4 or 5times on 15day where he's getting starts in the minors as a recovery term to have a chance because having him on that 25man is going to be wasting space to the tune of WCW.

Do you think their is a substantial offer on the table right now for Braun?

Bundy by himself isnt worth two or three seasons of Braun, which is what you'd assume he would give you with the balance being a lot of DL time.

I am not suggesting Bundy is worth Braun player for player of course. However, the trade thought really is Bundy plus something plus $95Million for Braun.

Braun had offseason back surgery, and admittedly is a little behind on rehab. Until he proves that the surgery was successful and does not affect his play, no one will trade for him. Well, maybe Dave Stewart, but we already fleeced him.

Once he's proven himself healthy, Braun will have trade value, especially if Attanasio would be willing to eat some of his contract in order to up the return. He's very similar to Tulowitzki, so if (like the Rockies bringing back Reyes) the Brewers are willing to bring back a big salary in return, we could probably get a few promising prospects for Braun.

The Brewers needed to trade an OF to clear up the logjam, and they did by trading Davis. That means they don't have to rush to trade Braun. They can let him prove himself healthy, and look to trade him at the deadline or next offseason, when we should once again have a logjam in the OF, assuming some of the prospects progress and some of the guys on the MLB roster play well.

I personally would like to trade Braun before the final couple of years of his contract, at which point age and a career of injuries will likely have started to catch up with him, and he will probably have lost most of his trade value.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

According to Fangraphs, Braun had a FA value last year of 22.7mil.

That isn't a Free Agent value it is his value based on WAR. Saying he is worth spending $22.7mil a year on because of some fake number based on WAR is inaccurate and flat out wrong.

-Yoenis Cespedes had a value of $50mil+ and got approximately $25mil a year.

-Justin Upton was worth $28.5mil and only got $22mil at a very young age for a FA.

-Alex Gordon worth $22.3mil and got $18mil.

Not to mention(minus Gordon) these players don't have a bum thumb and a crippled back. If Ryan Braun ended up a FA this past winter he would be lucky to match Gordon's $18mil average and would probably get less due to his injuries.

Braun had offseason back surgery, and admittedly is a little behind on rehab. Until he proves that the surgery was successful and does not affect his play, no one will trade for him. Well, maybe Dave Stewart, but we already fleeced him.

Once he's proven himself healthy, Braun will have trade value, especially if Attanasio would be willing to eat some of his contract in order to up the return. He's very similar to Tulowitzki, so if (like the Rockies bringing back Reyes) the Brewers are willing to bring back a big salary in return, we could probably get a few promising prospects for Braun.

The Brewers needed to trade an OF to clear up the logjam, and they did by trading Davis. That means they don't have to rush to trade Braun. They can let him prove himself healthy, and look to trade him at the deadline or next offseason, when we should once again have a logjam in the OF, assuming some of the prospects progress and some of the guys on the MLB roster play well.

I personally would like to trade Braun before the final couple of years of his contract, at which point age and a career of injuries will likely have started to catch up with him, and he will probably have lost most of his trade value.

I dont see our current MLB OF'ers being much that would make me want to trade Braun per se so its a log jam in numbers if not talent. When you have 8 CF'ers it means you have zero. Until Phillips is up, it will be a revolving door.

I absolutely would trade Braun the second he shows he is healthy because he is a declining asset. Id be happy to take half his contract back in a bad player like a Hill type and roll with two higher end prospects.

Bundy by himself isnt worth two or three seasons of Braun, which is what you'd assume he would give you with the balance being a lot of DL time.

I am not suggesting Bundy is worth Braun player for player of course. However, the trade thought really is Bundy plus something plus $95Million for Braun.

I don't believe there is one currently. Braun has health concerns to consider for his contract. That to me is the pause in creating an offer anywhere near what if I'm Stearns am asking for. I'd guess any trade discussion discussed for Braun was what would need to headline a trade for him. After a reply a top 50+ another top 80-120 type prospect. When you're ready to talk you know my number.

At this point, the discussion ends because Brauns health concerns+contract is too risky until he plays and proves he's less of a health risk.

I don't believe there is one currently. Braun has health concerns to consider for his contract. That to me is the pause in creating an offer anywhere near what if I'm Stearns am asking for. I'd guess any trade discussion discussed for Braun was what would need to headline a trade for him. After a reply a top 50+ another top 80-120 type prospect. When you're ready to talk you know my number.

At this point, the discussion ends because Brauns health concerns+contract is too risky until he plays and proves he's less of a health risk.

Thats part of the problem regarding a Bundy. He has to make the roster or its a fiasco. Can Braun prove he is healthy enough for the O's to make a deal with Bundy being part of it by the end of spring?

Braun just a couple days ago: "I've never been more athletic than I am right now," said Braun. "I can say that objectively because I do a lot of the same things as far as running, jumping, speed-wise, all that stuff. I'm easily as athletic as I've ever been. Overall I don't feel like I've lost anything."

Sounds confident as ever and they are talking about him playing 150+:

Braun has played 61, 135 and 140 games in the past three years. Assuming his back holds up, the goal will be to get back into the 150s this year.

"I don't think you ever plan on anybody (playing) 162," Counsell said. "I always shoot for 150."

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

First of all, no, I do not think there is a substantial offer for Braun right now. He'll have to prove he's healthy before interest would reach a level the Brewers would want.

If a team does wind up matching up for Braun, I really don't think it will be Baltimore, because their farm system is one of the weakest in the business right now. They've been trading prospects for veterans for a few years now, and of course, as their wins went up, their draft position went down.

Why does a weak farm system matter? We are trading Braun and his hefty contract not Lucroy. I wouldn't expect Braun to bring back any top tier prospects so their system along with just about any system is perfectly fine. They have a ton of guys I would love to have for Braun.

If you are expecting some Top 50 prospect someday for him you are going to be very disappointed.

Why does a weak farm system matter? We are trading Braun and his hefty contract not Lucroy. I wouldn't expect Braun to bring back any top tier prospects so their system along with just about any system is perfectly fine. They have a ton of guys I would love to have for Braun.

Plush, we're not close on this one.

No, Braun won't bring back a franchise-building prospect, but he should net a solid return, in my opinion, better than what the Orioles would likely be able to put together with the talent they currently possess. Looking at what free agent players are getting, I don't think Braun's contract is as hefty as it once seemed.

None of it will matter unless Braun looks good this season, but I believe he will, then we'll see.

If you are expecting some Top 50 prospect someday for him you are going to be very disappointed.

Of course they have guys you want because you think Braun's value is much lower than what it actually is. You think his contract is much worse than it actually is. He was a legitimate All Star last year and had his health issues corrected. Outside of his suspension he's played in plenty of games and produced mightily in that span. In an age where guys are signing massive annual contracts until they're 38-40yrs old his ends when he's 36. Guys are still productive at that age. His annual dollar compared to others that signed in FA this year is competitive and his contract will look better and better as the years go by. Unless there's a "can't say no" deal on the table over the next 3yrs there's absolutely no reason to trade a forever franchise player like Braun. And he's not a declining asset until his performance actually declines.

And I agree with a previous poster regarding the OF logjam. There isn't one corner OF prospect that is good enough that forces you to trade Braun. Davis was traded for several reasons but a big reason was Santana. That's not the case at all with Braun.

It has been rumored by multiple people/sources that the Brewers would love to trade Braun so yes I think his value is much lower than some seem to think. If he truly had such high value he would be long gone.

And yes I fully believe his contract is above market. This past offseason has proven that. Even best case scenario it is fair market value and that isn't going to get you anything great in a trade by itself.

You cannot look at deals like Heyward and Upton received and say that Braun is above market. I'm not deluding myself into thinking that he would demand a king's ransom in a trade on the open market, but I'm not giving him away either. I'm on board with the rebuild, but at the same time I don't think that you need to slash every big salary that you have just because.

but I'm not giving him away either.

And that is why he is still on this team. Not one single team wants to give up anything for him. The value does not exist.

To be devil's advocate, with that logic, Lucroy doesn't have value either then (which obviously isn't true). Coming off surgery, I'm sure, regardless of how fair his contract is or isn't, teams are going to want to see he's healthy before there's even the possibility of someone making a move for him. Until then, it's hard to speculate interest level based solely on the fact that he hasn't been moved yet.

It has been rumored by multiple people/sources that the Brewers would love to trade Braun so yes I think his value is much lower than some seem to think. If he truly had such high value he would be long gone.

And yes I fully believe his contract is above market. This past offseason has proven that. Even best case scenario it is fair market value and that isn't going to get you anything great in a trade by itself.

Do you have links? I wouldn't mind reading the article(s). It wouldn't surprise me if the Brewers were open to trading Braun if there were mutual interest, but to say the Brewers would "love" to trade him seems like another stretch. BUT, I'll believe it when I read it in the articles.

Why do the Brewers need to get rid of Braun's contract? At this point they're going to end up with one of the lowest few payrolls in baseball. As long as he's providing more value that what he would return in a trade, there's no incentive.

His contract, while large, doesnt have an impact on the payroll in the sense that he wont stop us from signing new players or extending ones we went to keep.

So why trade him? He is a declining asset and possibly severely so. He is somewhat tradable now, he likely wont be in two years when he wont be elite and have two more contract years that would likely provide no value.

The Brewers wont be a play off team if he is 2012 Braun or if he is 2014 Braun. He wont be 2012 Braun on the next quality Brewer team. Therefore his production is irrelevant and if you can load up on one or two higher end prospects, why not do it?

but I'm not giving him away either.

And that is why he is still on this team. Not one single team wants to give up anything for him. The value does not exist.

To be devil's advocate, with that logic, Lucroy doesn't have value either then (which obviously isn't true). Coming off surgery, I'm sure, regardless of how fair his contract is or isn't, teams are going to want to see he's healthy before there's even the possibility of someone making a move for him. Until then, it's hard to speculate interest level based solely on the fact that he hasn't been moved yet.

Luc is younger, plays borderline gold glove D at a position of huge need, doesnt have a $95M anvil tied to him. He is many many many times the value of Braun right now.

Do you understand the details of Brauns contract? That he got 10mil up front. 18million is deferred? He makes a total hit of 15million in a year. That's not even worth the QO. Teams are giving up their 1st unprotected draft pick for players that turned away 15.8mil.

Brauns worth that top 50prospect.

Thats part of the problem regarding a Bundy. He has to make the roster or its a fiasco. Can Braun prove he is healthy enough for the O's to make a deal with Bundy being part of it by the end of spring?

See, the fiasco is how will the Os handle Bundy. I'm thinking Sean Nolin he gets waived or traded but not for anything better than a #4SP/Swingman type of reliever. They have 0power in trade talks. You keep Mr. Bundy and his 10-40IP arm on your ML roster or waive him.

Why trade for him? His ceiling? He's dead-weight on a ML 25man for at least 2 seasons. So you waive him and try to outright him to the minors? Wrong he's getting claimed. The more I think of his situation the less I'd consider even trading. But to consider Braun or Lucroy to get him is ignoring Bundys last 4years and trying to relive his draft value as his trade value.

I'm thinking Bundy will be lucky to have 250IP through Brauns 2020contract end. Not 800+ to create maybe equal value or better than Braun.

He is a declining asset and possibly severely so.

How so? If Braun basically repeats his 2015 performance in 2016, which is certainly not impossible and may even be likely, his contract looks even better next offseason. Figuring in deferred money, he's being paid about market rate this year ($15 mil), and he might be paid less than market next year.

He is a declining asset and possibly severely so.

How so? If Braun basically repeats his 2015 performance in 2016, which is certainly not impossible and may even be likely, his contract looks even better next offseason. Figuring in deferred money, he's being paid about market rate this year ($15 mil), and he might be paid less than market next year.

With the thumb and back there is no way he will play even at 2015 levels for the entire balance of his contract. Maybe the next two years but certainly not all 5. Im not a doctor but in the no ped era, players get worse as they get older, not better. Therefore every day we have him, is a day less of production to the market.

See, the fiasco is how will the Os handle Bundy. I'm thinking Sean Nolin he gets waived or traded but not for anything better than a #4SP/Swingman type of reliever. They have 0power in trade talks. You keep Mr. Bundy and his 10-40IP arm on your ML roster or waive him.

Why trade for him? His ceiling? He's dead-weight on a ML 25man for at least 2 seasons. So you waive him and try to outright him to the minors? Wrong he's getting claimed. The more I think of his situation the less I'd consider even trading. But to consider Braun or Lucroy to get him is ignoring Bundys last 4years and trying to relive his draft value as his trade value.

I'm thinking Bundy will be lucky to have 250IP through Brauns 2020contract end. Not 800+ to create maybe equal value or better than Braun.

Bundy is not an elite trade chip. He is just a trade chip and a flawed one. In a package for Luc at best he is the third asset id want back.

Braun is a different category because he is not a major trade chip due to contract and injuries. Id only look at Bundy in a return if it means the Brewers dont pay a nickel of Brauns deal and they get something else of value in the deal.

Why trade for Bundy? He has ace potential, which is something we really dont have in the system. He would probably be Wang for the 2016 Brewers but who cares? The Brewers arent contending for anything but the Number 1 pick so I really dont care if he pitches at all IF it means he is on his way to realizing some of his potential down the road.

Archived