Brewer Fanatic

Dylan Bundy

Baseball America just released their 2016 Top 10 Orioles prospects and Dylan Bundy is #1

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/baltimore-orioles-top-10-prospects/

Would be shocked if Khris Davis would be enough for him via trade.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Now that Davis is out of the picture, thought I would bring back the idea of trading for Bundy. The Orioles are consistently in the bottom 5 or 6 teams for prospect rankings and also seem to be going for it with acquisitions like Gallardo and Fowler. It also appears it may be difficult for the Orioles to keep Bundy on the roster all year if they are trying to win so would it make sense for the Orioles to make a prospect for prospect deal? From everything I have read they have basically no outfield prospects so would they take a guy in the upper minors like a Taylor or Reed or perhaps a guy in the lower minors with high upside like Harrison in exchange for Bundy. It would be a heck of a lot easier for the Brewers to keep Bundy on the roster and they could slowly ease him into the rotation and have him pitch in the Arizona Fall League.

I was thinking about a Jay Bruce trade. We pick him up and his contract along with a B/B+ prospect in exchange for say Hill or a non-prospect.

We then trade Braun to the O's...........

You aren't going to get a prospect with Bruce. Reds can trade him and his contract for some boring prospects if they want. They actually almost did it if not for some prospects medicals.

I was thinking about a Jay Bruce trade. We pick him up and his contract along with a B/B+ prospect in exchange for say Hill or a non-prospect.

We then trade Braun to the O's...........

You aren't going to get a prospect with Bruce. Reds can trade him and his contract for some boring prospects if they want. They actually almost did it if not for some prospects medicals.

Im going off this and in part that the prospects were low level.

Also from Olney in his column from yesterday, the Reds are having some concerns that they won’t be able to trade Bruce at all. The club has been shopping the outfielder for months, coming close on the Toronto trade and in a deadline deal that would’ve sent Bruce to the Mets, so there’s at least some interest in Bruce’s services. Still, it has to be something of a tough sell given Bruce’s struggles over the last two seasons and the minimum $13.5MM ($12.5MM salary, $1MM buyout of his 2017 option) owed to him for 2016.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/reds-notes-bruce-trades-rebuilding.html

Braun's not going anywhere unless it's an offer you can't turn down. He's still an All Star caliber player and his contract will look better and better with every FA signing over the next 1yr and beyond. Trading Braun then adding Bruce accomplishes nothing as there isn't one corner OF prospect in our system right now that will be equal to or better than Braun and Bruce won't net anything noteworthy

Braun's not going anywhere unless it's an offer you can't turn down. He's still an All Star caliber player and his contract will look better and better with every FA signing over the next 1yr and beyond.

better and better? At this point it only looks worse with every nagging injury. Alex Gordon, who is pretty comparable value wise, got a similar deal to Braun. At best Ryan Braun has a market deal and at worst he is slightly overpaid. Ryan Braun doesn't have a whole lot of trade value.

Really trading Braun comes down to whether they have another use for the money they are paying him and if they find value in his veteran presence on a rebuilding team. When it comes to actually competing Braun will most likely not be of much use on the next competing team.

I know the Orioles just signed Fowler, but would they be interested in a Braun/ Bundy trade? Throw in Heim and Reyes just to take a little bit of the risk out of it. I suppose Braun is a risk too with his back. Maybe Peralta since the Gallardo thing seems held up. I would think if Bundy is looking like he might not be ready, a trade would be a good course of action for a team that is looking to keep up with the Jones'.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

I know the Orioles just signed Fowler, but would they be interested in a Braun/ Bundy trade? Throw in Heim and Reyes just to take a little bit of the risk out of it. I suppose Braun is a risk too with his back. Maybe Peralta since the Gallardo thing seems held up. I would think if Bundy is looking like he might not be ready, a trade would be a good course of action for a team that is looking to keep up with the Jones'.

Braun for Bundy is a very interesting concept. I feel it is an easy decision for the Orioles, but the Brewers not so much. Trading away one of your franchises greatest players for a extreme risk high reward player would be quite the gamble. Though by far the best player we could hope for in a Braun trade.

I like Bundy and all, but the injuries are scary. I just don't know if he will ever last the way he is going. I would love to add an ace type prospect to this team, but I just don't like Bundy's chances. I would rather Braun just be a leader on the rebuilding team.

Braun for Bundy is a very interesting concept. I feel it is an easy decision for the Orioles, but the Brewers not so much. Trading away one of your franchises greatest players for a extreme risk high reward player would be quite the gamble. Though by far the best player we could hope for in a Braun trade.

I like Bundy and all, but the injuries are scary. I just don't know if he will ever last the way he is going. I would love to add an ace type prospect to this team, but I just don't like Bundy's chances. I would rather Braun just be a leader on the rebuilding team.

Its Bundy plus $95M for Braun essentially. Im more luke warm on Braun's contract after seeing JHey's but lets face it, Braun the 850 guy will not be present for the next good Brewer team. I dont think its a stretch that Braun will be a 100 to 120 game guy in year 3-5. His production by then is anyone's guess.

I too don't like Bundys chances to ever be an ace, but it is a chance, and other than perhaps Nelson, I dont think there is a guy currently in the system that profiles as a legitimate Ace.

The way I look at it is with the $95M on the books, the Brewers could in theory make 1-2 Diamondback type trades a year for the next 5 years by picking up a bad expiring contract in exchange for taking on a Diaz or a Toussaint type guy.

To take that to the next (admittedly wild suggestion) level for discussion purposes only on use of the $95M asset, that would be Bundy plus the equivalent of 8-9 Toussaints/Diaz's.

Its Bundy plus $95M for Braun essentially. Im more luke warm on Braun's contract after seeing JHey's but lets face it, Braun the 850 guy will not be present for the next good Brewer team. I dont think its a stretch that Braun will be a 100 to 120 game guy in year 3-5. His production by then is anyone's guess.

I too don't like Bundys chances to ever be an ace, but it is a chance, and other than perhaps Nelson, I dont think there is a guy currently in the system that profiles as a legitimate Ace.

The way I look at it is with the $95M on the books, the Brewers could in theory make 1-2 Diamondback type trades a year for the next 5 years by picking up a bad expiring contract in exchange for taking on a Diaz or a Toussaint type guy.

To take that to the next (admittedly wild suggestion) level for discussion purposes only on use of the $95M asset, that would be Bundy plus the equivalent of 8-9 Toussaints/Diaz's.

Of course a lot depends on what they would do with that money. If they would put it towards the team that would be cool...but good chance most of it is just pocketed if he is traded. I really don't care if Braun is here or not. If they are willing to put all that money into the team then I am all for trading him for Bundy or even less than Bundy. However realistically it would end up as Braun for Bundy and more money in Attanasio's pocket. At that point one must wonder if his veteran presence is worth more than the way outside shot Bundy becomes an ace for us. He has a lengthy history of arm injuries and has no options left.

I am not really picking a side just stating the pros/cons of each option.

Diaz was essentially bought for $6.5M.

Even if Mark A pockets 2/3 of the money which could certainly happen if the team is as bad as I have been suggesting durring the Tan....I mean rebuild, such a trade could still be viewed as Braun for Bundy plus 5 Diaz's.

Fowler just signed with the Cubs.

Think they would be interested in a Chase Anderson/others type return in a trade for Bundy? MLB radio said the Orioles were looking for more depth in pitching. Their rotation does not look the greatest.

That's an interesting idea. I'd think Anderson would be very appealing to them.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Even if Mark A pockets 2/3 of the money which could certainly happen if the team is as bad as I have been suggesting durring the Tan....I mean rebuild, such a trade could still be viewed as Braun for Bundy plus 5 Diaz's.

This is good in theory, but falls in the "takes two to tango" category. Just because the Diamondbacks are happy to throw away their top prospects, I think it would be difficult to find a lot of other teams willing to make these types of trades... certainly not enough to eat up a significant portion of the money saved with Braun off the books.

A more likely scenario is that when/if Braun is traded, the Brewers will take on a 1-2 year contract in that trade to offset some of the cost of Braun's contract and therefore net more in prospects. That 1-2 year contract will then be off the books when the Brewers are ready to start adding free agents to the young core of Phillips/Arcia/other prospects.

As to Bundy for Braun, I think that's too much risk to take for the Brewers. If they trade Braun, one of the best players in franchise history, for one player, and that player totally flames out due to injury, fans will be slamming the team for it for the next 40 years. I think it's far better to go for the "Gomez-style" deal with four prospects, at least two of which are very likely to have MLB careers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This is good in theory, but falls in the "takes two to tango" category. Just because the Diamondbacks are happy to throw away their top prospects, I think it would be difficult to find a lot of other teams willing to make these types of trades... certainly not enough to eat up a significant portion of the money saved with Braun off the books.

A more likely scenario is that when/if Braun is traded, the Brewers will take on a 1-2 year contract in that trade to offset some of the cost of Braun's contract and therefore net more in prospects. That 1-2 year contract will then be off the books when the Brewers are ready to start adding free agents to the young core of Phillips/Arcia/other prospects.

As to Bundy for Braun, I think that's too much risk to take for the Brewers. If they trade Braun, one of the best players in franchise history, for one player, and that player totally flames out due to injury, fans will be slamming the team for it for the next 40 years. I think it's far better to go for the "Gomez-style" deal with four prospects, at least two of which are very likely to have MLB careers.

If a Gomez/Fiers trade (one of the best I can ever remember as a Brewer fan) is available for Braun/Anderson the Brewers need to immediately take that deal. I cant imagine it is though unless the Brewers take back a horrendous contract.

Maybe Nelson/Braun and you could get some interesting offers.

I agree. I would hate to trade Nelson on principle, even in what is going to be a lost 2-3 years. That surely would bring back a blockbuster package.

Then even you would have to use the T word ;)

Maybe Nelson/Braun and you could get some interesting offers.

I agree. I would hate to trade Nelson on principle, even in what is going to be a lost 2-3 years. That surely would bring back a blockbuster package.

Then even you would have to use the T word ;)

I would be hesitant to trade him too because of his potential upside, but then again I heard the same about Gallardo/Peralta and neither of them ever became something.

Archived