Brewer Fanatic

D-Backs Eyeing Wily Peralta?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Maybe

or

Not

Well, if true, Arizona has some decent young arms - Shipley, Bradley, Blair. But you would think they would want to keep those players.

3B Jake Lamb has five years of control left - he looks pretty solid. Not a big power guy (maybe 10-15 HR), but exceptional glove, decent OB kind of guy. But then AZ would have to play Tomas at 3B - not sure they want that.

I'd really love the idea of a really good infield - Arcia and Lamb would be a great starting point.

Honestly if I am trading with D-Backs I want a Braves deal. They take Garza and all his salary. We take Aaron Hill and his 12 million then they throw in a young talented arm like Cody Reed who is a big body 19 year old who gets ton of Ks (currently throws low 90's has touched 94-95)

Hill over the last 2 years is a .240 hitter with a .285 OBP in last year at contract. He can play all over the infield (valuable to Stearns) and 3B. I think it is very worth it to eat his contract over Garza's. We at least have some use to him, all Garza is doing is wasting a spot for Lopez, Hader, Houser, or Wagner

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

If it is going to be Peralta, Lamb and Reed will work for me. Depends on how high DBacks are on Drury. He is a guy who has hit a lot in the minors and wouldn't be a bad target if you are going for a minor league arm over Lamb (Shipley or Blair)

By the time we are competitive again, he will need to be paid. I personally prefer not to trade him yet. Last year he was hurt so value is down and I want to see if it is possible for him to really become the starter we hoped he could be. As of now he has shown to not be much more than a middle-back end of rotation guy. He will give you a 4.20 FIP a 6.5 K/9. He is essentially a big body, ground ball pitcher. He will be 27 in May so it is getting close for him to prove his worth.

I hardly say Lamb is simply giving Peralta away. He just turned 25, isn't Arb Eligible until 2018, FA until 2021. In his first real season he was able to get on base by hitting .263 with .331 OBP (not too bad). Not to mention he was Fangraphs runner up for top defensive 3B in MLB.

Is minor league CAREER (247 Games) .321/.408/.552 (.960 OPS) smoked 84 2Bs 10 3Bs 37 HRs and 195 RBIs

We have pitchers coming soon while we have no 3Bs coming for the next 3-4 years at the earliest in our current system. Peralta hasn't pitched in a way that make him really that important to our future. Lamb at least gives us control of an average offensive bat with gold glove caliber defense.... I would make that trade in a heart beat

Peralta was about a 1.5 mph off on his fastball last year and hardly struck anyone out. Even Wily at his best (2014), so far, is a contact manager who is barely above league average.

If a team, with a higher playoff odds over the next 3 seasons where Peralta is still under control, is willing to overpay for a league average starter with the velocity for more, I'd jump on it. If a team is just looking for a buy low opportunity, wait and see if the new pitching coach and management can turn him around. I suspect any reported interest is the latter.

Peter O'Brien, Aaron Blair and Jake Lamb for Lucroy and Peralta.....Too Much?

Not enough IMO. I would be asking for a package starting with Bradley and Drury for just Lucroy. Blair's ceiling is that of a #2-3 pitcher. I would be looking for a possible ace pitcher for any package involving Luc. Peralta is an interesting player since he is coming off a down year. I would not be selling low on him if I was Stearns and be asking for a return comparable to standard package for a mid-rotation starter with 4 years of team control.

Not sure why they'd want Lucroy as Wellington Castillo was pretty productive for them last year. But for Peralta AND Lucroy, I'd want Blair, Lamb, Socrates Brito, Enrique Burgos and Castillo. I'd throw in Villar to help even it out a bit.

Lamb for Peralta straight up? Maybe. Lamb looks like a good fit, but is he enough of an upgrade over Villar to give up a guy that won 17 games in 2014?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like Lamb. Even if he's as some say, 10-15 HR and good OBP he's a good lefty to have. Looking at his minors numbers and the fact that he's still pretty young, I think he could hit 20-25.

The more I see about Lamb, the more I like him.

He's struggled against lefties thus far in the majors (hitting on .179 on 67 ABs). But that's a pretty small sample. In the minors, he's generally hit lefties pretty well. And as I said above, I love the good reports on his glove. I think we ignore defense too much.

As for Peralta for Lamb -- it's tough, but I'd probably do it. I like Wily, but I don't love the guy. Still, I'd have to feel really good about Lamb to give up Peralta if I was the Crew.

Not sure why they'd want Lucroy as Wellington Castillo was pretty productive for them last year. But for Peralta AND Lucroy, I'd want Blair, Lamb, Socrates Brito, Enrique Burgos and Castillo. I'd throw in Villar to help even it out a bit.

Lamb for Peralta straight up? Maybe. Lamb looks like a good fit, but is he enough of an upgrade over Villar to give up a guy that won 17 games in 2014?

Heard that they are giving O'Brien a shot to start this year at catcher

The Dbacks are certainly an attractive team to trade with...Montgomery would know a lot in that system. So the B/C players after A would likely be better than usual B/C players.

The Dbacks had had a total of 4 30+GS starters in the past 3 seasons total 2 by Wade Miley who was traded away prior to 2015. Pitching has certainly been a crutch on the team holding them back. Peralta would be a very legit SP to acquire on the bounceback by a GM who could use a workhorse for a #3-5 spot in the rotation that team hasn't had. And since it's after a poorer season by Peralta you expect it to not cost a ton in prospects. I'd still look for as good a return as Gallardo's. Who surprisingly was offered a QO, that he declined! Texas will gain a 27-34th type draft pick back so the trade was Gallardo+QOpick for Knebel, Sardinas, and Diplan.

You get more team control for Peralta. And most certainly after 2014 Peralta was the better option for the duo going forward.

They have Lamb as been mentioned, and that most certainly would solve 3b on the Brewers for awhile. What about Peter O'Brien? He has Catching history, 1b history. Not saying he should lead the team post Lucroy at C, but could he be a backup to give Maldonado/Unknown time off or in a pinch with injury? And of course he's at 1b otherwise solving post Lind. May just solve the CIF in one trade. O'Brien, Villar, Arcia, Lamb infield? I could see sending Gennett or Segura to the Dbacks who may prefer them to send the others back to AAA vs having the job w/o competition. Or, what if you sent Villar? but got back a SP prospect as well?

Making a trade with the Dbacks certainly presents far numerous ideas and lots to like. The idea that Montgomery would have knowledge of that system really makes me believe the Brewers would come out ahead in the trade.

I really like the idea of adding Jake Lamb as well but I'm just not sure it's a great trade if it's Willy for him straight up. While Lamb fills a hole for us, Peralta is still young, controllable and a capable pitcher. I know his velocity was down last year but I just feel he should net us a guy like Lamb plus another B-level prospect type. I mean Gerrado Parra netted us Daives and he could very well be a Peralta type pitcher (numbers wise) and Parra was a proven gold glover who can hit righties very well.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Peralta netted us Jake Lamb and Peter O'Brien, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Two guys that can play now, are young, controllable, and could be very good MLB players.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Peralta's control time is starting to run down. 3 more years and they'll get a little bit more expensive. If he ever figures out how to get lefties out he'll be good, but he is likely just a low-level starter that if things go wrong is a replacement-level pitcher. I'd take anything I can get, because he could have to go in for TJ surgery at any time soon and/or never figure it out.

Could we wait it out a year or two and see if he becomes a stud pitcher? Sure, but all you get out of that is improved trade value (which simultaneously diminishes as his control years fade). Let's say he improves to a very good #2 pitcher - he's still an incredible risk to try to re-sign at the end of these 3 years.

All of this risk assessment says trade now if a good deal is offered. The reward down the road is unlikely and not that great.

If Peralta netted us Jake Lamb and Peter O'Brien, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Two guys that can play now, are young, controllable, and could be very good MLB players.

That is probably not a fair trade. Would you give up Khris Davis and Domingo Santana for Tom Koehler?

Just curious but do you think that the trade you just gave me is the same as Jake Lamb and Peter O'Brien?

That's why I made mention of Gennett/Segura or Villar with an added prospect in return. The thing with both and why I like trying to trade with Arz. is that Arizona has Goldy for a very long time blocking O'Brien at 1b. And They signed Yasmany Tomas to play 3b for a long time, blocking Lamb. Okay they want to keep Lamb at 3b as Tomas doesn't look like a fit as a 3b. Well that mean OF, completely blocking O'Brien.

O'Brien though does not gleam #1 player a team would trade for. He's a piece, as his history of where he'll be defensively w/o costing the team more on the field than his bat will provide is undetermined. You don't get Peralta for O'Brien. Now I'm asking for one of the SP prospects plus. The SP prospect you give me would be a higher ceiling than Peralta in Blair/Shipley/even Bradley.

I don't know if I'd rather be stuck with Tomas in my OF when I didn't trade away Lamb and lost Your TOR potential SP prospects. Over Lamb/O'Brien, Tomas floats for the season where you figure out is 3b or OF where you play him? and keep your SP prospects.

I like the bats, but they aren't special. This isn't Brett Phillips/Domingo Santana special. They'd be more like Zach Davies special. Who is solid but not All-Star potential solid. Like the DBacks I'm sure still would feel Tomas' ceiling is. And their SP prospects being.

That is probably not a fair trade. Would you give up Khris Davis and Domingo Santana for Tom Koehler?

Just curious but do you think that the trade you just gave me is the same as Jake Lamb and Peter O'Brien?

Tried to as best I could. 2 "pretty good" prospects with most of their team control remaining.

Just toying around with "similarity scores" on Baseball-Reference. Peralta is almost step-for-step with Carlos Carrasco at this point in his career.

Here's the thing: You have to bet on Peralta having a Carrasco-esque figuring it out moment that gets him into a mid/high 2s FIP pitcher this coming season. That's your gamble.

The rest of the guys on his similarity score are just run-of-the-mill low-end starters like Randy Wells, Miguel Gonzalez, Dillon Gee, and Jeff Niemann.

Overwhelming chances are that he falls in the 2nd bucket. I'm willing to give him half a season to see what he can do but I'm more than likely OK with trading him if the price is right.

Archived