Brewer Fanatic

Pedro Alvarez (also Chris Carter)

The only positives I could spin from Alvarez are that I don't care if the Brewers lose every single game, so his defense is a non-issue to me (aside from it hurting out young pitchers - so I suppose that could negate the rest of any point I'm attempting to make). If (really big IF) he can have a really big first half, the Brewers might be able to flip him to a contender and get a few pieces back. I don't know the details of what it would take to get him, but if it's cheap enough I'd be OK with it.

this is a move that the brewers of say 1995 would make. known player, with some power. I would hope that the brewers are smart enough to just let Rogers have a chance to see what he can do.

You could also spin it that this is a move that the Astros, Cubs, and other rebuilding teams of recent years have done. Buy low, flip later. By all accounts, Scott Feldman was a trash #5 starter on a 1 year deal and he was turned into Jake Arrieta. There are plenty of power hitters picked up as buy-low players have extracted great value. Will Alvarez be one of these cases? I don't know. Even if he nets you another "Jason Rogers" in a trade, it's not the worst thing in the world.

What is the advantage of playing Jason Rogers (by the way, he'll get some platoon ABs probably)? I agree that he has some potential, but he's likely a AAAA player. Give me an MLB guy at a (hopefully) discounted price that has some potential. See if you can milk said potential and trade it away, offer a QO, or sign long term if things really go right.

Source: #Brewers interested in Pedro Alvarez to play first base following Lind trade; he is son-in-law of MIL bench coach Pat Murphy.

NO.

Good grief, sure hope that this doesn't happen due to nepotism. Alvarez is steaming garbage in every way. I can just hear the apologists talking about the 'former home run champ'.

I agree, guys. Let's just play Jason Rogers. All he does is hit, including in the clutch.

He reminds me of the type of guy the Cardinals find and drubs us with. And we are like, "where do they find these guys from?"

In fact, Rogers hit a grand salami late to beat them.

Trust in him. He's a hitter. Let's go. If not, what do we have to lose anyway?

I agree, guys. Let's just play Jason Rogers. All he does is hit, including in the clutch.

He reminds me of the type of guy the Cardinals find and drubs us with. And we are like, "where do they find these guys from?"

In fact, Rogers hit a grand salami late to beat them.

Trust in him. He's a hitter. Let's go. If not, what do we have to lose anyway?

So part of a lost season equates Jason Rogers as a "all he does is have clutch hits" type of player? Don't forget the guy is going on 28 years old and has just now sniffed a MLB stadium.

I'm all for giving him some time, but lets not get carried away. Alvarez would be a good buy low candidate that we can flip later for prospects. Who knows, maybe a change of scenery & coaching is what he needs to fulfill the potential he had.

There's less of a gap between Alvarez' defense at 3B and an average defensive 3B, than the gap between his defense at 1B and an average 1B. You'd also get both Alvarez and Rogers in the lineup at the same time.

But with the Brewer rotation having ground ball types, doesn't seem to be a great fit.

Archived