Brewer Fanatic

Pedro Alvarez (also Chris Carter)

1B/3B LH power hitting Pedro Alvarez is a non-tender candidate for the Pirates.

He seems like a perfect type player the Brewers should take a chance on.

Lind is on the way out soon and we have a hole at 1B/3B, as well as a lack of LH bats.

Alvarez, 28, is young enough to still reach his enormous potential, IHMO.

Thoughts?

I think it could be a good buy low guy but it seems as though he might be a better fit in the AL with the DH.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He can't play defense at any position and offensively will only provide you with homeruns - sounds like a classic Melvin guy.

He has pretty good offense past the homeruns. However his defense is so bad I can't imagine the Pirates tendering him a contract and I don't see a chance of an NL team going after him. Not even Doug Melvin would play him in the field.

Another problem is that he's another guy that is terrible against left handers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Another problem is that he's another guy that is terrible against left handers.

The Brewers have plenty of RH hitters in their lineup. They could use some thunder from the left side. Problem with Alvarez is he's historically bad defensively at 1B to the point that Pittsburgh wants desperately to move him so I can't see the Brewers taking him as alternative to Lind. He's merely bad at 3B where maybe his power would overcome his weak glove but I don't think Stearns will want to make life harder than it needs to be on his young pitchers with a defensive stiff like Alvarez in the infield.

No, I think we are going to see Villar on opening day at 3B unless they are facing a lefty in which case Perez could be at 3B and Villar at 2B.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Alvarez needs to go to the AL to DH. He's just awful in the field. Last year Fangraphs ranked him as the 2nd worst fielder in baseball (behind Matt Kemp). In 2014, he was around 10th worst (while playing 3B).

The guy is what he is - he hits .230-.240, walks about 10% of the time, smacks 25-30 HR, plays awful defense.

He's a DH.

He can probably improve his HR and BA numbers by getting out of Pittsburgh, which is tough on lefties. I think he'd fit well in Baltimore if they don't resign Davis (Trumbo can play 1B, Alvarez can DH).

He can't play defense at any position and offensively will only provide you with homeruns - sounds like a classic Melvin guy.

He has pretty good offense past the homeruns. However his defense is so bad I can't imagine the Pirates tendering him a contract and I don't see a chance of an NL team going after him. Not even Doug Melvin would play him in the field.

What part: the barely .300 OBP or low .230's batting average?

What part: the barely .300 OBP or low .230's batting average?

I am absolutely opposed to the Brewers trying to get Alvarez, so I'm definitely not an apologist, but the guy had a 787 OPS last year. The average MLB first baseman had a 790 OPS, average DH a 737 (!) OPS. His Braun-at-third-esque fielding abilities completely negated all of that offensive value, but if you take him out of the field, he's at least an average DH. He would have been an improvement for all but 6 AL teams there last year.

If Doug Melvin was still the Brewers GM, I would put it at a 50/50 chance that the Brewers bring in Pedro Alvarez. He'd be a perfect "Melvin'esque" player in that pseudo "win now" pathology they preached in recent years.

If I am reading David Stearns correctly, there is no chance they bring in Pedro.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

If Doug Melvin was still the Brewers GM, I would put it at a 50/50 chance that the Brewers bring in Pedro Alvarez. He'd be a perfect "Melvin'esque" player in that pseudo "win now" pathology they preached in recent years.

If I am reading David Stearns correctly, there is no chance they bring in Pedro.

I highly doubt that. No one Doug ever had was that bad fielding at their position. Pedro Alvarez is a clear cut DH that should not play in the field. No not even Yuni B...not even Yuni B at 1B was close to as bad as Alvarez is.

No not even Yuni B...not even Yuni B at 1B was close to as bad as Alvarez is.

Oh Yuni B.

Yuni had a -6.6 WAR (not a typo, negative six point six) from 2008 to 2013 while earning over 14 million dollars during that time. That still just blows my mind.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Oh Yuni B.

Yuni had a -6.6 WAR (not a typo, negative six point six) from 2008 to 2013 while earning over 14 million dollars during that time. That still just blows my mind.

Career -2.5WAR player

Oh Yuni B.

Career -2.5WAR player

Houston also non-tendered Chris Carter.

I thought to post here rather than start a new thread because they're pretty similar players.

If I wasn't so lazy I would start a thread for him. Chris Carter can pretend to play 1B much like Fielder. Pedro Alvarez can't and this thread is meaningless. I could see the Brewers going after Carter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't even know how it's possible to be -2.3 Defensive WAR at 1B in 119 games, but Alvarez did it. His defense was (as others have stated) so tremendously bad that he virtually negated his entire offensive value, and posted a 0.1 WAR, despite a .787 OPS. He was, for all intents and purposes, a replacement player last year.

Just say no.

Lord have mercy, Chris Carter last year .199/.307/.427 w/ 24 HR's. Russell Branyan would be proud.

Yeah. Last year was bad. He was trotted out every day until June. Sat until late August and was not as horrible. The thing was, two years ago, he got hot in late August and crushed homers regularly. Last year.....not so much. I think the Marlins may have a use for him.

This will really depend on what Stearns sees in a guy like Jason Rogers. If he signs a guy like Carter, the handwriting is on the wall for Rogers in a Brewers uniform. My opinion is that IF a guy like Lind is going to be traded very soon than Carter could make some sense. My only wish is that he were a lefty, we are so short on those in our lineup. But if we are not competing, who cares? blah.

Archived