Brewer Fanatic

Brewers I believe will not be traded....

daintrain28

Everyone can agree David Stearns is in full "long rebuilding mode", which means the slew of trades that have taken place are likely just the tip of the iceberg. It'd be easier to decide who'll not be traded.

As I see it, these are the three guys who will not be traded.

Disclaimer: None of these guys are "untouchable," there value just makes dealing them not worth it.

1. Ryan Braun: Any deal for Braun would involve us giving him away. While it is true Milwaukee has a log jam in the OF and needs to make room for highly regarded prospects Bret Philips, Monte Harrison and Clint Coulter, Milwaukee has a hole at 1B and it is one Braun could easily fill.

2. Jonathan Lucroy: People who are in favor of dealing Lucroy point to cautionary tales of slugging catchers like Joe Mauer whose offensive production declined as the brutality of the position took its toll physically on the batter. I'd argue they are missing the point. Luc's bat is simply an added bonus. He's value is what he does behind the plate framing pitches and working with young pitchers. Every big league team wants a catcher like that, very few exist. Milwaukee would be wise to keep Lucroy in town.

3. Scooter Gennet: In Gennet, the team has one of its few left handed bats, a solid defender, and a player with an extremely high ceiling. I really doubt the market will warrant parting with these attributes

Nothing is keeping any of these players in Milwaukee except the potential trade value Stearns could get in return.

1. Braun likely won't go anywhere due to the contract unless Milwaukee takes a low return in terms of talent and agrees to pay a chunk of his salary. That said, if he's productive this year he could be moved at the deadline, bringing back not much in return but getting the contract off the books.

2. Lucroy is as good as gone if the right deal comes along, unless Attanasio refuses to let Stearns deal him. The only reason to keep him is because the Brewers have no one else to catch. That reason makes no sense if you're not trying to win right now.

3. Gennett's days are numbered as a Brewer. Contrary to what was written above, he doesn't have a high ceiling in my opinion. He's a bat-first 2B who is not that good with the bat. I doubt he'll be with the team coming out of spring training. He just doesn't fit the mold of a guy who has positional flexibility, something Stearns clearly values.

Everyone can agree David Stearns is in full "long rebuilding mode", which means the slew of trades that have taken place are likely just the tip of the iceberg. It'd be easier to decide who'll not be traded.

Disclaimer: None of these guys are "untouchable," there value just makes dealing them not worth it.

1. Ryan Braun: Any deal for Braun would involve us giving him away. While it is true Milwaukee has a log jam in the OF and needs to make room for highly regarded prospects Bret Philips, Monte Harrison and Clint Coulter, Milwaukee has a hole at 1B and it is one Braun could easily fill.

2. Jonathan Lucroy: People who are in favor of dealing Lucroy point to cautionary tales of slugging catchers like Joe Mauer whose offensive production declined as the brutality of the position took its toll physically on the batter. I'd argue they are missing the point. Luc's bat is simply an added bonus. He's value is what he does behind the plate framing pitches and working with young pitchers. Every big league team wants a catcher like that, very few exist. Milwaukee would be wise to keep Lucroy in town.

3. Scooter Gennet: In Gennet, the team has one of its few left handed bats, a solid defender, and a player with an extremely high ceiling. I really doubt the market will warrant parting with these attributes

1. Agree, to an extent.

2. Disagree. If we're in full rebuild now, then Lucroy is our best trade chip who will be too expensive/not as effective by the time the Brewers are ready to compete again. I can't see a scenario where the Brewers would be serious about rebuilding but hang on to Lucroy; I think the writing has been on the wall here for a while with Lucroy in Milwaukee.

3. This is the first I've ever heard of Scooter having an extremely high ceiling. Scooter seems like 'just a guy' to me, and his greatest attribute (right now) is his left-handed bat and the fact he's still cheap and can hit right handed pitching.

I'd argue they are missing the point. Luc's bat is simply an added bonus. He's value is what he does behind the plate framing pitches and working with young pitchers. Every big league team wants a catcher like that, very few exist. Milwaukee would be wise to keep Lucroy in town.

I disagree with this part. Defense only catchers are a dime a dozen. Ones that can contribute anything on offense are not. Hell trading Lucroy and going with Maldonado would upgrade our defense if anything. He was always regarded as the better defensive catcher of the two. He is a very good pitch framer and is much better throwing runners out.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Nothing is keeping any of these players in Milwaukee except the potential trade value Stearns could get in return.

1. Braun likely won't go anywhere due to the contract unless Milwaukee takes a low return in terms of talent and agrees to pay a chunk of his salary. That said, if he's productive this year he could be moved at the deadline, bringing back not much in return but getting the contract off the books.

2. Lucroy is as good as gone if the right deal comes along, unless Attanasio refuses to let Stearns deal him. The only reason to keep him is because the Brewers have no one else to catch. That reason makes no sense if you're not trying to win right now.

3. Gennett's days are numbered as a Brewer. Contrary to what was written above, he doesn't have a high ceiling in my opinion. He's a bat-first 2B who is not that good with the bat. I doubt he'll be with the team coming out of spring training. He just doesn't fit the mold of a guy who has positional flexibility, something Stearns clearly values.

If Gennett plays only against RHP his OPS (just a tad under .800) is upper third among 2B in baseball. His bat is good when used correctly. Sure, positional flexibility is great but his bat plays. And it better play over Villar and his career .652 OPS.

1. I agree. The contract holds Stearns back, but if he does play well he can be dealt at the trade deadline if they think that's what needs to happen. It would be at a loss though, considering the money the team would have to eat.

2. As much as I love Luc, I agree with finn that he is our best trade chip. He is replaceable with Maldonado, at least defensively, if not with the bat, everyday. If they are serious about a rebuild, you have to get what you can for Luc, which I would expect to be a very favorable return.

3. I would maybe use the term "high floor/low ceiling" when describing Gennett. The left handed bat, OPS vs. RHP and the contract keep him around for now. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was part of a package deal.

Scooter does need to rebuild value after his awful start before trading him. I also disagree on Lucroy. If we're basing his value on defense, then Maldonado is not a big dropped in that regard. But Lucroy could also be a Midseason trade after a bad start and concussion.

Lucroy in the 2nd half of 2015 .289/.347/.461

It is hard to imagine his trade value getting higher in the future. What Lucroy could bring back has the potential to be a cornerstone of the future Brewers franchise, especially if a top flight pitching prospect is included.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Gennett is not a very good defender. He has gotten better over the years, however, since he was drafted his ceiling defensively at the very best would be average. Brewers have always loved his bat and once he removed his head from his butt in June/July he went about his business in his usual .300 hitter way. He is very good vs righties. Struggles in every attempt he gets vs Lefties. His okay defense, platoon only offense, his inability to walk, and his K's don't make his stock very high, nor a piece for us to build around.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The only guy I don't think will get traded is Braun. It's not that Braun is bad or we don't want to deal him, I just don't know what he'll fetch with his injury and PED history. In the end, I think we'll have to kick in a bunch of money to deal him. Or take a sub-par return. Or both. If that's the case, then we won't deal. His bat is still good, so may as well keep him.

Doesn't mean we can't find a deal, but I see it as pretty tough.

Arcia. Anyone else is on the table.

True, Arcia is untouchable, but I would put a few more names from AA and below as guys the Brewers are likely to not trade, either. Don't know that they're untouchable but doubt they're 'on the table', either.

Arcia. Anyone else is on the table.

True, Arcia is untouchable, but I would put a few more names from AA and below as guys the Brewers are likely to not trade, either. Don't know that they're untouchable but doubt they're 'on the table', either.

If I were Stearns, Arcia is the only guy I would be extremely hesitant to deal, but even if the right deal came along for Arcia, I'd consider it. On the ML level, I'd be all for getting young controllable talent. The Astros did it the right way.

If the key is controllable young talent, and especially high-end young talent, there's zero reason to trade Arcia. He's precisely what you're trying to acquire and most in the Brewers organization don't measure up to him.

I get the quantity thing -- big-picture-wise I agree -- but quality matters in this equation, too. The biggest issue with the Brewers' farm system post-2011 is the lack of blue-chip prospects. Now that we've got one -- and perhaps at the moment he's our only one (at least that we know of) -- considering trading Arcia seems contradictory and ridiculous, at least to my thinking.

Braun is the only player who will definitely not being traded only because of his contract, although if Stearns is willing to eat a significant portion he could net a pretty decent return. My top 5 to trade would be Lucroy (kings ransom), Lind (fringe 100 or solid prospect), Davis (top 100 prospect), Smith (top 10 team prospect) and Segura (high risk/reward prospect). This should bolster our farm system enough to break into the top 10.

Braun is the only player who will definitely not being traded only because of his contract, although if Stearns is willing to eat a significant portion he could net a pretty decent return. My top 5 to trade would be Lucroy (kings ransom), Lind (fringe 100 or solid prospect), Davis (top 100 prospect), Smith (top 10 team prospect) and Segura (high risk/reward prospect). This should bolster our farm system enough to break into the top 10.

Lucroy and Lind definitely and Segura if they get a good match. I'd like them to keep Davis for the year to show what he can do with a full year of healthy play. A 30+ HR guy with 3 years of control should bring a very high return. Smith seems more like a trading deadline piece. Scooter would also be a guy to trade at the deadline, if he has a good first half.

I think 99% of our minor league players are considered pretty untouchable. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to trade any of them unless it is for other controllable players. Arcia isn't the only one that is pretty safe from being traded. I wouldn't trade Phillips, Hader, Harrison, Ponce, Medeiros, etc etc etc etc

If the key is controllable young talent, and especially high-end young talent, there's zero reason to trade Arcia. He's precisely what you're trying to acquire and most in the Brewers organization don't measure up to him.

I get the quantity thing -- big-picture-wise I agree -- but quality matters in this equation, too. The biggest issue with the Brewers' farm system post-2011 is the lack of blue-chip prospects. Now that we've got one -- and perhaps at the moment he's our only one (at least that we know of) -- considering trading Arcia seems contradictory and ridiculous, at least to my thinking.

No one is talking about trading Arcia. He's not going to be traded.

Lucroy and Lind definitely and Segura if they get a good match. I'd like them to keep Davis for the year to show what he can do with a full year of healthy play. A 30+ HR guy with 3 years of control should bring a very high return. Smith seems more like a trading deadline piece. Scooter would also be a guy to trade at the deadline, if he has a good first half.

I think Davis has more value now, especially to a team who is looking for a power bat but is currently facing budget constraints (i.e. Toronto). Getting a proven player with 30+ HR potential for the league minimum is huge to these types of teams. I say trade him now while his value is high since i do not see him as a valuable enough piece to keep around while we rebuild. Give his playing time to Santana.

The only guy I don't think will get traded is Braun. It's not that Braun is bad or we don't want to deal him, I just don't know what he'll fetch with his injury and PED history. In the end, I think we'll have to kick in a bunch of money to deal him. Or take a sub-par return. Or both. If that's the case, then we won't deal. His bat is still good, so may as well keep him.

I don't see Braun's PED use being a reason why a team will not trade for him. Braun's contract and his injuries are more of a deterrent for a team to trade for Braun than his PED use.

I don't see Braun's PED use being a reason why a team will not trade for him. Braun's contract and his injuries are more of a deterrent for a team to trade for Braun than his PED use.

PED use isn't much of a problem. The fact he isn't marketable like he once was and the fact he is widely NOT loved makes his off the field value next two zero. The PEDs themselves aren't a real issue, but what they created is a bit of an issue.

I am not saying no team isn't going to trade for him just because he isn't marketable, but it sure doesn't make you want to trade for him now does it?

The PEDs aren't an issue for Melky Cabrera anymore, nor Jhonny Peralta, or a host of others. Technically I don't believe they're an issue for Braun, either, rather the terrible character/judgement he demonstrated when he was first let off the hook and the resulting ill will that brought on him from all corners. Time heals many things. Most people believe in second chances. However, some aren't willing to forgive in spite of Braun's time served, which to me is about as productive as continually picking at a scab 'til it bleeds recurringly, drastically slowing healing and creating an unnecessarily larger and often more visible scar than there would've been otherwise.

On topic, for varying reasons, I believe these guys won't get traded this off-season: Braun, Lucroy, Garza, Nelson, Peralta, Jungmann, Thornburg, at least 3 out of Jeffress/Smith/Knebel/Blazek, and most if not all the young guys we got in trades last summer.

The PEDs aren't an issue for Melky Cabrera anymore, nor Jhonny Peralta, or a host of others. Technically I don't believe they're an issue for Braun, either, rather the terrible character/judgement he demonstrated when he was first let off the hook and the resulting ill will that brought on him from all corners.

I'm pretty sure it's the injuries and massive amount of years and money left on his contract that is keeping teams from going after him. As much as the media tries to tell us otherwise, people within the game don't care about PED use past or present. Same thing with Braun's "character" issues. I've never once heard a bad thing about him as a teammate and that trumps anything he's ever done off the field.

Archived