Brewer Fanatic

Winter Weather thread, 2015-2016

hawing

Look how far we got without a winter weather thread! November 20. Not bad.

Bummer that it's apparently just HOURS until southern Wisconsin gets at least a moderate serving of snow. I'd expect our SW Wisconsin and any Iowa friends to already be contending with that kind of precipitation.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I don't have the time to hunt anymore, but I can help but think of the horrible opening day people are in store for tomorrow.

Actually...in my experience deer hunting (not going this year due to two little kids in the house), snow isn't a bad thing. Sure, it'll be cold, but a little snow on the ground makes it MUCH easier to track deer. Very easy to see red in show as opposed to gross, mud, etc.

Enough snow to track the deer is good. Snow that makes it difficult to walk isn't.

Warm weather is worse. Not that many years ago, it was in the 60s on opening day, and there were a lot of concerns about meat spoiling.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

As is usually the case with the first snowfall of the year, I'm guessing us that live on the lake will have next to nothing on the ground in the morning.

Seems that wasn't the case this time. Though I don't live right on the lake, but pretty close.

Well I don't have the time to hunt anymore, but I can help but think of the horrible opening day people are in store for tomorrow.

Actually...in my experience deer hunting (not going this year due to two little kids in the house), snow isn't a bad thing. Sure, it'll be cold, but a little snow on the ground makes it MUCH easier to track deer. Very easy to see red in show as opposed to gross, mud, etc.

A few inches is fantastic. However, a half of a foot or more plus it going on right in the morning at it's worst is not a good thing. Storms can get deer moving, but in my experience is is usually just before or at the start.

I heard up north, where I usually hunt, is having a fantastic opening day though weather wise.

As is usually the case with the first snowfall of the year, I'm guessing us that live on the lake will have next to nothing on the ground in the morning.

Seems that wasn't the case this time. Though I don't live right on the lake, but pretty close.

We live just north of the system. Nothing fell from the sky. No rain, no snow, nothing. Has nothing to do with the lake though.

Meanwhile, the rain of the last few days resulted in record rainfalls for both Thanksgiving and for November 26 as a date in Madison and Milwaukee; and the snow from last weekend is gone (even in Lafayette County, which had about a foot of snow last weekend).
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 1 month later...

Seems like the first real winter storm is finally here for most of if not all Wisconsin. In Fond du Lac we were supposed to get a mix of rain, sleet, and snow but as of right now we have gotten nothing but snow.

Not too heavy right now but of course if it keeps going on like this all afternoon and night it will eventually add up.

FDL was expected to get around 4-6 and the totals are ranging from about 9-12. It seems like across the board we got more snow than expected. Maybe the temp just dropped a little more than expected.

I barely made it home last night up about a mile long hill. Once I got to the top a lot of cars were stuck spinning their tires.

The first storm of the year always seems to be a learning experience for the snow removal and salt crews it seems

Community Moderator

These storms with complex thermal profiles are difficult to predict. It doesn't take much to change the precip type considerably. Snow was the better outcome to be honest, freezing rain can create serious problems. Big win for the Milwaukee area if you like snow.

The American weather model (GFS) correctly predicted the colder airmass and farther southeast low track, but the European model is usually more accurate so the forecasters went with the warmer model.

Had about 12" here just west of Oshkosh. One drift in the back yard is 5' tall, the one on the driveway was 3.5' tall. Thank goodness we were able to purchase a new snow blower on Monday morning!!
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

• 2 weeks later...
I just moved back from spending the last 15 years in Phoenix,let me say I'm not a fan of winter already. We had that wet heavy snow last night

Originally from Wisconsin but moved to New Mexico for a job last year and now I am in Iowa. Already miss the weather and golfing in January.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I just moved back from spending the last 15 years in Phoenix,let me say I'm not a fan of winter already. We had that wet heavy snow last night

Originally from Wisconsin but moved to New Mexico for a job last year and now I am in Iowa. Already miss the weather and golfing in January.

Yeah,it wasn't a planned return. Family issues unfortunately

Formerly AirShuttle6104

• 3 weeks later...

Archived