Brewer Fanatic

Luis Sardinas to Mariners for OF Ramon Flores

markedman5
Bats can decide whether it's 50/50, 80/20 or anything else. I wouldn't bring up Reed to play half the time though, I'll say that. If he plays full time in CF, that's fine by me. It's not like it's costing us a trip to the WS this year or anything. In fact, it would be a great move for the future when Reed would probably be the 4th OF to have all that time in CF under his belt.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe it's just me but Reed is just a "guy" for this team going forward. An OF that has minimal power but gets on base, which we have seen not translate in the MLB as well. The fact that our corner OF's are both right handed and should never be out of the lineup make him even less appealing to me. Maybe I'm dead wrong on him but I'd bring him up, he's off to a great start, but caring about whether he is getting enough at bats is something I would do for a guy like Phillips. Reed, not so much. Let him pound away at lefties and a few righties here and there and play all the positions.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Maybe it's just me but Reed is just a "guy" for this team going forward. An OF that has minimal power but gets on base, which we have seen not translate in the MLB as well. The fact that our corner OF's are both right handed and should never be out of the lineup make him even less appealing to me. Maybe I'm dead wrong on him but I'd bring him up, he's off to a great start, but caring about whether he is getting enough at bats is something I would do for a guy like Phillips. Reed, not so much. Let him pound away at lefties and a few righties here and there and play all the positions.

Niewenhuis is just "a guy". Reed isn't a can't miss prospect, but he has a chance to be an everyday MLB player. Pretty much our own version of Liriano or Flores. His power is starting to develop and you can see his ISO grow the last couple years:

2012 ®: .056

2013(A): .114

2014 (A+): .123

2015 (AA): .144 / (AAA): .135

And normally, I wouldn't want Reed in CF regularly, but if Flores or Liriano can do it, Reed should be able to also.

I think it's just another case of being in love with our own prospects a bit too much.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Reed also bulked up too. He seems to take his improvement to the next level seriously.

Flores was really a one to zero tool player in the minors. No power, no speed, average fielder, decent hitter whose main strength was drawing walks.

I agree Reed has a better shot at still being a prospect for the crew. Think you might see him up if Kirk or Ramon falters

I think we're already there, at least with Flores.

After 33 PAs?

He has a very nice swing and is capable of playing CF - there's no reason the Brewers should risk exposing a guy like him to the waiver wire at this point in time.

IS there a reason not to bring Reed up? I'm seriously asking this.

Reason would be bringing him up to play part time and burning a yr of service time in a year that doesn't matter. Only so many ABs to go around between Reed, Flores, and Niewenhuis. Brewers may feel they know what they have in Reed, want to see more of the other two (and Broxton.) Plus Reed isn't really a true MLB CF. Not saying I agree with any of that, just giving you the reasons.

Flores will be all right. He's best in a 4th OF role. The quandary they have is that if Broxton can't hit major league pitching and early returns are not good, then Nieuwenhuis is the closest to an actual CF they have. Problem is Nieuwenhuis strikes out a ton and while he's got some pop, he's not a guy that will hit enough big flies that you can overlook the strikeouts. I see no reason not to give Reed a shot, that is unless you want to dip into AA for a Taylor, who's at least a true CF and a prospect, though not at the level of Phillips and thus not one to worry about arby clock running. Reed, like Flores and Presley is a corner OF who can play some CF. If it's an evaluation year, take a look at him.

Archived