Brewer Fanatic

Luis Sardinas to Mariners for OF Ramon Flores

markedman5
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was performed at every level at a pretty young age, he lost 2014 due to injury. He is a guy who can give you coverage at all three OF spots. While not a power bat, he traditionally has hit for good average, plays real good defense, and gets on base a lot....doesn't strike out a lot. Can never have to many options who give you all of that.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Don't know much about Flores, but I love that he takes his walks and gets on base. .376 OBP at AAA in 150 games - that's pretty solid for a 22-23 year old.

As for Sardinas, I just question if he'll ever be more than a slap hitter. He may just be too slight - but time will tell.

Seems pretty obvious Stearns values flexibility. The past two acquisitions can cover any position outside of pitcher and catcher, making it easier to target best players available regardless of position and still fill out the roster. Seems like a couple nice complimentary depth moves for whatever happens next.

Why does it matter? He is constructing his team. The order means absolutely nothing. This is what other teams are putting on the table right now. Let alone, trading Lind, Lucroy, Braun etc, take extra time with more players you need to look into. He doesn't like Sardinas and wants a solid lefty bat, make the trade. (You) really like Villar and it is only going to cost you Sneed...TAKE IT. You don't sit on trades...."well actually I can't consider your proposals at all right now."

Just because Luis was traded doesn't mean that David doesn't like him. :)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Shane Peterson's Brewer days are all but numbered.

That's not a given, and I hope it doesn't prove correct.

Until he tailed off at the end -- no doubt partly to going from everyday play to bench play again once Santana arrived -- he's one of the few guys on the team outside of Lucroy, Braun, & Lind that looked like he had a consistent idea of what to do at the plate AND could execute. He's nothing fancy, but I think he's a decent player. He certainly was a capable PH, which is a valuable & necessary skill, esp. in the NL.

Seems pretty obvious Stearns values flexibility. The past two acquisitions can cover any position outside of pitcher and catcher, making it easier to target best players available regardless of position and still fill out the roster. Seems like a couple nice complimentary depth moves for whatever happens next.

I was going to say the same thing. They're likely aiming to have flexibility on the roster, especially with the fringe players.

Ramon Flores to Mil

I would imagine this make Shane Peterson expendable.

Not unless Flores can play center field. I don't know anything about him but he is listed as a left fielder.

The fact that Peterson's been in center field doesn't mean he can play CF. It does make Peterson expendable but reports I'm getting on Flores is he isn't going to be ready by opening day. Regardless they needed LH bats and have added two in the last two days. Flores isn't your typical LF or 1B though. Doesn't strike out a lot and took walks in minors.

This is my favorite trade so far. Flores has hit a bit in the minors with solid obp. It's looking more plausible to me that Braun will be traded. Davis, Santana, Flores, Phillips possible OF'ers in 2016. It's like he's back filling the roster so when he trades Braun, or Segura, he doesn't have to scramble for some retread to take their place.

This is my favorite trade so far. Flores has hit a bit in the minors with solid obp. It's looking more plausible to me that Braun will be traded. Davis, Santana, Flores, Phillips possible OF'ers in 2016. It's like he's back filling the roster so when he trades Braun, or Segura, he doesn't have to scramble for some retread to take their place.

Or maybe we've talked Braun into taking a shot at first base?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Good I didn't like Sardinas at all. There was absolutely nothing special about him. Now we have two players that are extremely versatile.

These could be two huge players on our bench when we are competing again. They are so versatile we can afford to take on a good hitting player for our bench without that players lack of versatility killing us(think Rickie Weeks). By 2020 both will be very experienced.

I'd be willing to bet good money that Stearns has talked to 15-20 teams on Lucroy/Lind/Braun and has begun negotiating trades on all of them. Trades like that take a tremendous amount of negotiating time. And sometimes nothing comes of it. In the meantime he is taking opportunities to bring in other young talent when trades present themselves

To think that Stearns is ignoring trading Lucroy/Lind while focusing solely on utility players and longterm prospects is naive.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

While I agree with Boomer5's assessment,

Sardinas was one of those guys who looked a lot better when he was a prospect and less so when he made it to the majors
, and furthermore think that the Sardinas & Sneed deals are a net positive, although not by much, I still don't understand a lot of the "hate" for Sardinas. I think a big part of why his "potential" status dropped is that he hasn't produced much in the majors. but, he's only just 22! Villar was hitting about the same as Sardinas at his age in the majors, and being two years older, its realistic to project Sardinas putting up similar numbers as he did last year at 24. Plus, Sardinas is the much better defender. At 22, Yadiel Rivera was only hitting .250 in A+/AA. At 21 years old, Sardinas was hitting .290 in AAA.

in any regard, these moves don't seem like a real upgrade for the present or future, but rather just moving pieces around. though as with all trades, time will tell- Sardinas/Sneed or Villar/Flores.

Subtly, Stearns has helped make the 2016 roster potentially stronger and younger with these two moves. No it's not a contender but it should be fun to watch and that will draw people to the park. Sorry but seeing Shane Petersons and Elian Herreras in the lineup on a regular basis doesn't do much for me. I have no problem replacing them with Villar and Flores either of whom is young enough with enough ability to yet prove they can be major contributors on a big league roster. Counsell likes to maneuver and now he'll have pieces that fit better and are almost all young.

Flores has gotten on base at a great clip his entire minor league career. As has been mentioned, this provides a lot of flexibility and solidifies the bench.

Curious to see what happens with Lind....sounds like a lot of teams are interested.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Or maybe we've talked Braun into taking a shot at first base?

Sorry, I don't think trading for Flores has anything to do with Braun. It's not like they traded for Bautista and are saying "Well, I guess we need to trade or move Braun."

Even if the trades themselves don't amount to much outside of a proverbial reshuffling of the deck chairs as far as competing long term, I like the fact the guys he's acquired are good at the small ball. You can never have enough guys who make a solid effort to get on base which is something this swing hitting squad has sorely been lacking in recent years.

Subtly, Stearns has helped make the 2016 roster potentially stronger and younger with these two moves. No it's not a contender but it should be fun to watch and that will draw people to the park. Sorry but seeing Shane Petersons and Elian Herreras in the lineup on a regular basis doesn't do much for me. I have no problem replacing them with Villar and Flores either of whom is young enough with enough ability to yet prove they can be major contributors on a big league roster. Counsell likes to maneuver and now he'll have pieces that fit better and are almost all young.

Younger guys with low ceilings do not suddenly make the major league roster better than having older guys with low ceilings for next season. I do think changing the type of player we get can be interesting, perhaps even make a marginal change in the overall team performance, but these two moves don't move the needle much for next season's outcome.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived