Brewer Fanatic

Luis Sardinas to Mariners for OF Ramon Flores

markedman5

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I liked Sardinas...but I understand why Stearns might like Villar more. Hopefully the return is something cool.

Sardinas was one of those guys who looked a lot better when he was a prospect and less so when he made it to the majors.

If he is the main piece to Sea, I wouldn't hold my breath on a significant return.

A trade a day keeps the doctor away....

I don't mind this regardless of the return. I am not very high on Sardinas and like Rivera better as a utility bat & defensive guy. Just think he offers more with bat, defense is pretty close. Hope we get good return, he clearly wasn't in Stearns plans for the future at all.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Seems like an older version of Sardinas except in OF. I thought we could get a little more since he was a SS.

Stearns has something up his sleeve or he is just trying to get rid of all the players he doesn't like and start from scratch.

He is a lefty though. That is nice.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

These last two trades are pointless to me. I'd rather have Stearns spending time working on trades that will actually make a difference for this franchise. Make these kinds of moves after you have Lind, Lucroy and anyone else sorted out.

Flores will be 24 in 2016 and put up .308/.401/.454 in AAA ball in 2015.

Venezuelan Winter League in 2014 he hit .347/.435/.505

Not much pop but I like that he gets on-base. He hits lefty

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't think he is shorting his time spent to trade older guys by doing these when they present themselves. If a trade is there that makes sense there is no need to wait because other trade candidates are of higher priority.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

These last two trades are pointless to me. I'd rather have Stearns spending time working on trades that will actually make a difference for this franchise. Make these kinds of moves after you have Lind, Lucroy and anyone else sorted out.

They very well may have them. Long offseason to go here. Might want to just be sorting out the AAAA roster of low ceiling prospects that they'll trot out there this year.

Flores is currently #25 on the Mariners' MLB Pipeline top 30.

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 35 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

Flores doesn't have a carrying tool but he does a little bit of everything except hit for power, so he could carve out a big league niche as a fourth outfielder. Signed out of Venezuela for $775,000 in 2008, he was on track to make his big league debut last season before a severe left ankle injury all but ended his season in June. He reached New York for the first time this May, then went to the Mariners two months later with Jose Ramirez in a trade for Dustin Ackley.

Flores' best attributes are his feel for hitting and ability to manage the strike zone. He sprays line drives to all fields but doesn't have enough strength or power to profile as a regular on an outfielder corner. In an encouraging sign, he posted his highest full-season slugging percentage (.443) last year.

With his average speed and arm strength, Flores is capable of manning all three outfield positions. He has seen the majority of his action in left field, and he also has gotten some time at first base.

I wonder if they're going to give him a shot to play CF?

Why does it matter? He is constructing his team. The order means absolutely nothing. This is what other teams are putting on the table right now. Let alone, trading Lind, Lucroy, Braun etc, take extra time with more players you need to look into. He doesn't like Sardinas and wants a solid lefty bat, make the trade. Your really like Villar and it is only going to cost you Sneed...TAKE IT. You don't sit on trades...."well actually I can't consider your proposals at all right now."

He is trading for guys he has a plan for already, just because they are not future All-Stars doesn't mean they are not worth getting right now. He wants to have the roster look the way he wants the team, what if he wants to keep Lucroy at end of the day? We are going to stop everything just for a Lind trade?

Flores has played

LF 460 games

CF 114 games

RF 100 games

Just labeled OF 91 games

1B 50 games

another versatile guy with good bat who gets on base. Shane Peterson Brewer days are all but numbered.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

ramon flores has no minor league options remaining.

So he's acquired two guys who are fringey major leaguers that have to be on the 25 man roster this season for two guys that don't. That doesn't really make sense to me.

Maybe he's conducting his own Rule 5 draft here. Taking slightly higher-ceiling guys from Seattle and Houston who have excess MLB depth at the positions in return for his guys that the other teams can keep in AAA.

This is pretty wild --

In August of 2009, the Brewers traded (dumped) a tiny portion of Bill Hall's hefty salary to the Mariners for the very forgettable RHP Ruben "Buddy" Flores, not to be confused with today's deal with the same organization for OF Ramon Flores.

Here's our discussion thread from 2009.

(They're not related.)

Archived