Brewer Fanatic

Minor league RHP Cy Sneed to Astros for SS Jonathan Villar

And That

interestingly, in this case, the Brewers took on the older player with less control. But each player is performing well, and it's easy to envision this deal turning out to be a win for both teams.

And also if Stearns thought Villar would bring more to Milwaukee than Sneed would (by whatever metric), then it's a win for us despite having Villar under control than Sneed

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on Stearns' statements over the last few months, I think the "timing and extent" of the rebuild are under constant evaluation and reevaluation. On several occasions, he's said that there is no timetable.

This is the part that is all too often overlooked. I don't remember anyone in the organization ever putting a time table on it. I think a lot of people felt a long term rebuild in the vein of Houston or Chicago was inevitable. Which is an understandable, if incorrect, assumption considering they hired a young guy from the Houston organization. But it seemed to me from the get go that the front office was going to let the talent base dictate the length instead of deciding beforehand how long it would take.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think the point might be that there is no blue print for the rebuild. That you just have to take every opportunity to make your ball club better as they present themselves.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The reality is the Brewers can't buy Lester, Lackey, Heywood, and Zobrist. Cubs did and their rebuild still took several years.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think the point might be that there is no blue print for the rebuild. That you just have to take every opportunity to make your ball club better as they present themselves.

I think this is pretty much it. Sure you have some rough ideas about when things will improve, but the nature of the game is so unpredictable. Injuries can have dramatic consequences. And no one really can predict when a prospect will be ready (if at all) - and even then - how long that prospect takes to become decent (look at Jackie Bradley, Jr. - a few years ago he was a top prospect. Then he hit sub-.200 - and last year at this time people were saying he might be a backup type. Now he's looking like an all-star. It just took some patience.)

The team hopes Lopez and Hader develop as top flight starters - but you just don't know when, if, etc.

The Cubs saw Arietta develop into a Cy Young pitcher - something no could have predicted. It helped move up their window of contention.

You just gotta take the good with the bad, adjust as best as possible, and stick to a smart, solid plan.

I think the important thing is to improve the overall talent level of the organization with contracts that can be controlled. Whether this talent is added at the rookie level, the Major League level, or in between is largely irrelevant as long as the team isn't giving up prospects to acquire veterans.

Acquiring young players is important too, but guys like Chase Anderson and Junior Guerra are reasonable exceptions. Chase is still reasonably young, but he's controlled for a bunch of years. Guerra was picked up for nothing. In both of their cases, age works to the team's advantage because innings limits aren't a concern.

Down the road, trades can focus more on the Major League level. But trading prospects for veterans should still be done on a limited basis, especially if the veterans are rentals. And a competitive team shouldn't stop Stearns from continuing to acquire prospects. Having prospects in the pipeline on a continual basis should hopefully avoid the need to tear down and rebuild in the future.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think one of the things Melvin stopped doing as the Brewers got better was acquiring nuggets. He was hell bent on getting a guy like Kevin Mench instead of a young guy that could develop.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That is sort of what went wrong the last time around. We traded some talent for short term solutions at the same time they drafted pretty poorly. It lead to all the talent being concentrated at the MLB level with most of the guys in the decline phase instead of upswing of their careers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Villar has made Stearns look pretty smart......some of the posts after the trade kind of make me chuckle.

Trade made sense from the start and he has lived up to his potential. OBP skills, some pop, versatile, and 40+ stolen base speed. As I said when the trade went down lots of teams would love to have that on their team.

Villar has made Stearns look pretty smart......some of the posts after the trade kind of make me chuckle.

Trade made sense from the start and he has lived up to his potential. OBP skills, some pop, versatile, and 40+ stolen base speed. As I said when the trade went down lots of teams would love to have that on their team.

No kidding huh?!

a switch hitter who is under team control through 2020, can play SS/3B/2B and hit .291/.361 vs RHP at the MLB level last season and you guys are complaining? Wow
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Good for him. He brought the Brewers a 25 year old who's putting up the best offensive numbers of any SS in the NL not named Diaz through a third of the season

I wouldn't exclude Cory Seager from that conversation.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Ouch.

Jose de Jesus Ortiz ‏@OrtizKicks 15m15 minutes ago

The #Astros gave Jonathan Villar every chance to succeed. He is very versatile, but his teammates will tell you he is a knucklehead.

Jose de Jesus Ortiz ‏@OrtizKicks 18m18 minutes ago

Don't know much about Cy Sneed, but I think we can all agree the #Astros won any trade by dumping Villar.

Looking back on these posts is great, one mans trash is another mans treasure

Just saw that this guy is now covering the Cardinals. They deserve each other.

Good for him. He brought the Brewers a 25 year old who's putting up the best offensive numbers of any SS in the NL not named Diaz through a third of the season

He just went on a 5HR in 3games tear. 2 of those HRs after the post.

Villar happened to have 3HRs in this same week. Kinda Cancels out Seager's 3HR game.

You're at a .300/.400 5HRs-20+SBs hitter vs .284/341 14HRs to 1SB hitter.

Seager certainly has put his name in to the discussion but he's not in the Best discussion quite yet.

Seager for his part should be putting up top of the NL SS numbers as he was what? #1 prospect in baseball heading in to season?

Villar has a #94 pre2011 ranking to his credit. But he didn't carry it with him in 2012.

He just went on a 5HR in 3games tear. 2 of those HRs after the post.

Villar happened to have 3HRs in this same week. Kinda Cancels out Seager's 3HR game.

You're at a .300/.400 5HRs-20+SBs hitter vs .284/341 14HRs to 1SB hitter.

Seager certainly has put his name in to the discussion but he's not in the Best discussion quite yet.

Seager for his part should be putting up top of the NL SS numbers as he was what? #1 prospect in baseball heading in to season?

Villar has a #94 pre2011 ranking to his credit. But he didn't carry it with him in 2012.

I realize your original post was before one of his big games and was not trying to point out an error you made. However, A) He may not be the best SS right now, but he certainly is in contention and yes, can be included in the discussion (14 HRs, 12 before your post, 35 RBI, .874 OPS...he can't even be in the discussion?) and B) while it certainly is possible, I don't care how highly touted of a prospect a player is, I think it's a bit unrealistic to just assume that a rookie will be the best player at his position.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

has anyone noticed that Villar is quietly leading the majors with 22 steals? didn't know he was that much of a base stealer, than I ran across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw4rZnHOx0s

I have and I love it. The SB is an underused weapon in the days of analytics.

Id take a Whitey Herzog Brewers team right now.

On an interesting note, the Brewer offense ranks mediocre to horrible in every category but SB's (first in the NL) and Walks (2nd in the NL).

he's only leading because Billy Hamilton can't figure out how to get on base

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

he's only leading because Billy Hamilton can't figure out how to get on base

Well not exactly. He has a higher OBP this year than last. So that isn't the problem. Also isn't Villar's problem Hamilton sucks.

Michael Phelps would probably have him best too. If the runner had to swim to second.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived