Brewer Fanatic

Minor league RHP Cy Sneed to Astros for SS Jonathan Villar

And That
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Villar played 2B, 3B, SS, and OF last year. He's much more versatile than Gennett and he can run. Good bench, spot starter guy as long as he can play defense adequately and not run into outs.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

to help visualize this glut of middle infielders, here's a top 15 projectability depth chart in the organization at 2b/ss/3b:

1) AAA - Orlando Arcia- SS

2) R+ - Gilbert Lara- SS

3) MAJ - Luis Sardinas- UI

4) A+ - Jacob Gatewood - SS

5) MAJ - Jonathan Villar- UI

6) MAJ - Jean Segura- SS

7) MAJ - Scooter Gennett- 2B

8) A+ - Javier Betancourt- UI

9) AAA - Yadiel Rivera- UI

10) A+ - Tucker Neuhaus- 2B/3B

11) MAJ - Hernan Perez- UI

12) AA - Chris McFarland- UI

13) AA - Blake Allemand- UI

14) MAJ - Elian Herrera- U

15) AAA - Nathan Orf- U

to help visualize this glut of middle infielders, here's a top 15 projectability depth chart in the organization at 2b/ss/3b:

1) AAA - Orlando Arcia- SS

2) R+ - Gilbert Lara- SS

3) MAJ - Luis Sardinas- UI

4) A+ - Jacob Gatewood - SS

5) MAJ - Jonathan Villar- UI

6) MAJ - Jean Segura- SS

7) MAJ - Scooter Gennett- 2B

8) A+ - Javier Betancourt- UI

9) AAA - Yadiel Rivera- UI

10) A+ - Tucker Neuhaus- 2B/3B

11) MAJ - Hernan Perez- UI

12) AA - Chris McFarland- UI

13) AA - Blake Allemand- UI

14) MAJ - Elian Herrera- U

15) AAA - Nathan Orf- U

Perfect. We have a lot of option then. We won't be "stuck" with a guy if he stinks. And we can use some of these guys as trading pieces to fill other holes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Does this spell the end for Herrera?

Took 36 posts for someone finally to hit the nail on the head. He's a younger version and hopefully better version of Herrera with base stealing ability.

I think he was acquired to get first shot at everyday 3B job.

He was rushed to the majors in a system that was devoid of talent so I discount his first couple years. Has enough on base skills to potentially lead off too and I see some potential for 12-14 HR and 25 SB. I also like that they dealt from their farm system depth and didn't give up major league talent. I grade the move a solid A.

Man is pulling the trigger and making some moves. You have to remove a SS in trade now. So more moves to come. I just hope we don't lose out top prospects in the process.

Arcia is the real deal. Profar comparison is based on what? The previous top billing. Expecting a Stud Arcia future and saying look at Profar's results....Only rings true if Arcia misses what? 95% of games to play in 3 years?

Villar I'm sure was a former top 100 prospect. He'll be alright.

#2, i don't like giving up Sneed. I know he doesn't have a high ceiling, but pitched very well for the T-Rats.

Agreed 100%!

He was also a super nice kid and a joy to watch on the mound.

I know we currently have relatively deep pitching in the minors, but I don't like trading pitching as we will always need it. This trade doesn't make me happy.

Glad running a baseball team revolves around not making moves because people a nice guys....Average minor league arm for an at least average MLB bat seems fair to me. He is far from even being a consensus Top 25-30 prospect in our system. He is a good guy, love the handle bars, his wife seems super sweet with a good blog, and is a solid Tyler Wagner, back end, high floor-same ceiling type prospect. Maybe he does become a solid #4 or #5 in 2-3 years but hard to see him surpassing some of the talent, much high ceiling guys above him in our now pretty deep system. If we could get MLB talent who can help us now who still has a higher ceiling to be an everyday player, that's a win in my mind.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I also don't think this necessarily means there will be a corresponding trade this offseason to unload a middle infielder. it may very well be that they'll let it play out until the trade deadline to try and increase some trade value out of gennett/segura. there is room for them all and to use this year to see what we have in the younger guys. here is how it would probably play if we go into the season w/ our current roster:

MAJ

2B- Gennett

SS- Segura

3B- Herrera

UI- Sardinas

UI- Villar

AAA

2B- Rivera

SS- Arcia

3B- Perez

UI- Orf

UI- Macias/Shaw

AA

2B- McFarland

SS- Betancourt

2017 - MAJ

2B- Sardinas

SS- Arcia

3B- (outside acquisition or if some combination of villar, rivera, or perez show that they are more than uitility infielders)

UI - Villar

UI- Perez/Rivera

Ouch.

Jose de Jesus Ortiz ‏@OrtizKicks 15m15 minutes ago

The #Astros gave Jonathan Villar every chance to succeed. He is very versatile, but his teammates will tell you he is a knucklehead.

Jose de Jesus Ortiz ‏@OrtizKicks 18m18 minutes ago

Don't know much about Cy Sneed, but I think we can all agree the #Astros won any trade by dumping Villar.

Yeah, like Carlos Gomez? Sports writers are uniformly idiots who should be ignored.

We got a young guy who can start in the major leagues (even if he's below average) for a >30 organizational prospect. Hard to complain about that.

Villar will be starting 3B on opening day. Herrera is a career utility player who will be 31 by opening day. I would suspect they'll trade or release Herrera who did have some moments last year but doesn't fit the youth movement and is not a guy you want even in a platoon.

Villar is so redundant from what is already on the roster and is out of options so he has to make the team. Segura, Gennett, Herrera, Sardinas...one of those guys is almost certainly gone, right?

Herrera will likely be gone. Sardinas and Perez will fight it out in spring for utility job/RH platoon mate of Gennett. Sardinas gets temporary SS job if Segura is traded. I give the edge to Perez even though he's not currently on the 40 man as Gennett's platoon mate. Rivera plays 3B in Colorado Springs. Maybe they'll keep one more utility guy but I doubt it. Rogers and either Lind or another LH bat will share 1B.

Villar's versatility "opens up options" for rest of Brewers offseason, Stearns said. Is everyday 3B one of those options? "Absoluitely."

Got this from Adam McCalvy's Twitter feed. I think this is the biggest thing this acquisition does. It sets Stearns up with a lot of flexibility during the offseason. Going in we had a big hole at 3rd, now that's possibly filled (but could still be upgraded in the right deal), or we can trade any of Segura, Gennett, other misc. infielders without worrying about opening another hole. It gives Stearns options and negotiating power since as of now we have bodies to fill all our positions.

Last year Segura walked 13 times in 584 plate appearances and Gennett walked 12 times in 391 plate appearances. I seem to recall a stat that at one point in the season Gennett swung at over 40% of pitches outside of the strike zone (IIRC it was highest on the team), and I'm sure it is very high for Segura as well. I don't think either Segura or Gennett is in Stearn's long-term plans.

And the Brewers are probably going to win less than 80 games so I don't think it makes a difference if Villar plays 3B.

Can he play first?

Yuni played first. This guy can play first.

Yuni was about as useful at 1st as the 1st base coach was.

Maybe I should've wrote that in blue...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Villar's versatility "opens up options" for rest of Brewers offseason, Stearns said. Is everyday 3B one of those options? "Absoluitely."

Got this from Adam McCalvy's Twitter feed. I think this is the biggest thing this acquisition does. It sets Stearns up with a lot of flexibility during the offseason. Going in we had a big hole at 3rd, now that's possibly filled (but could still be upgraded in the right deal), or we can trade any of Segura, Gennett, other misc. infielders without worrying about opening another hole. It gives Stearns options and negotiating power since as of now we have bodies to fill all our positions.

I do agree it provides a lot of flexibility and if somebody does get traded it doesn't create a hole. I don't think it was mentioned yet but if none of those guys are traded I wouldn't be surprised to see Villar get a shot at CF, or at least a backup. If Santana can play CF, I'm sure Villar can too.

Archived