Brewer Fanatic

Minor league RHP Cy Sneed to Astros for SS Jonathan Villar

And That
What an odd trade. With Arcia coming up who projects as Blue Chip, and Segura still here (for the moment) plus Sardinas, etc, I cant imagine trading a legit arm for another meh SS in reserve?

I am assuming more trades are to come but Sneed isn't a guy I look to trade away unless he is part of bigger package.

Arcia is going to be a stud but Villar looks like Tulowitzki next to Rivera and Sardinas. Not a bad buy low guy that is still very young. Maybe he flames out and is just a utility guy, maybe he carves out a 3B, SS (short term), or 2B role. A switch-hitting guy with positional flexibility could be useful in a trade down the road as well.

I agree the back ups on the roster now are just guys but how many ABs do we expect available at SS that Arcia wont cover? If Villar is a legit starting 3B guy than maybe its a better trade than I assume.

I dont think is all that buy low, but maybe im too high on Sneed. He was pretty much our best pitcher at each level in terms of performance, thought admittedly not in terms of prospect status. He certainly projects as a MLB caliber bullpen type.

Its not a trade we will regret, but its not anything Im buying play off tix for either.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its way early, but the new guy at GM is really underwhelming so far.......

I would argue irrationally early to make any concrete judgments involving performance. I mean, he got rid of Reid Nichols... that alone might make a successful offseason.

Oh Im not judging the guy based off two trades. Im just stating what I have seen so far which is just Ehh. We got rid of our closer and a useful pitching prospect for two fringy guys at positions that aren't of need assuming your are bullish on Arcia being a 150 game top of the order type.

Again its early and I am not jumping one way or the other. Im a Brewer fan so clearly Im patient.

Oh Im not judging the guy based off two trades. Im just stating what I have seen so far which is just Ehh. We got rid of our closer and a useful pitching prospect for two fringy guys at positions that aren't of need assuming your are bullish on Arcia being a 150 game top of the order type.

I would not expect Arcia to play MLB until 2017

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Interesting. I had not thought that at all. Im not sure what he has to prove at CS? Is there something he needs to work on?

Its way early, but the new guy at GM is really underwhelming so far.......

I would argue irrationally early to make any concrete judgments involving performance. I mean, he got rid of Reid Nichols... that alone might make a successful offseason.

Again its early and I am not jumping one way or the other. Im a Brewer fan so clearly Im patient.

"Our closer" could be replaced with "40th best reliever in baseball that is older and has a somewhat high price tag" to make things a bit more fair.

Positions of need right now: Every position on the field. I like Arcia's chances to be a stud but we're going to have to assume 40% of the guys we are (over) excited about are going to bust. Get me 3 good-to-great or at least useful prospects at every position on the field and only the cream will rise. If Villar is magically a wonderful buy low prospect and Arica is also good, you can just move Villar's position or flip him (with higher value) for a position of need as we move closer to being good again.

I agree the back ups on the roster now are just guys but how many ABs do we expect available at SS that Arcia wont cover? If Villar is a legit starting 3B guy than maybe its a better trade than I assume.

I dont think is all that buy low, but maybe im too high on Sneed. He was pretty much our best pitcher at each level in terms of performance, thought admittedly not in terms of prospect status. He certainly projects as a MLB caliber bullpen type.

Its not a trade we will regret, but its not anything Im buying play off tix for either.

Although I also was high on Sneed, its hard to say how pitchers in the lower levels will actually develop since many of them are still adjusting their mechanics, adding new pitches and strength along with learning how to pitch. Sneed was also a college pitcher who was pitching against players who are on average 2 years younger than him. He should out perform younger players at the same level. Villar could develop into a serviceable 3B or simply be a better utility player than our current options moving forward. Either way, its difficult to say who won this trade. Stearns targeted him for a reason so for now I will trust his decision and wait to see how the remainder of the off season pans out before passing judgement.

For those who are already penciling in Arcia as our SS of the future look no further than Texas where Profar looked underwhelming in his first couple seasons and has since struggled with injuries. No one is a sure thing in Baseball and to bank on a single player is just foolish.

Interesting. I had not thought that at all. Im not sure what he has to prove at CS? Is there something he needs to work on?

I would think they'd prefer not to start his clock in 2016. Maybe they'll bring him up in May? He hit .307/.347/.453 in AA in his age 20 season. Why rush him to MLB at such a young age when we are rebuilding? I would interpret the Villar trade as evidence that they won't rush Arcia to MLB. I also interpret Villar as the much needed platoon mate for Scooter. Could be wrong (of course!)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't really have an opinion on this trade other than Villar is the guy that slide face first into Brandon Phillips' backside that one time. https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CUM3gMMWoAEc1ob.mp4

No problems with Stearns stockpiling players who can contribute. If anything, it makes me kind of excited to see comes over the next several weeks. It should be fun.

For those who are already penciling in Arcia as our SS of the future look no further than Texas where Profar looked underwhelming in his first couple seasons and has since struggled with injuries. No one is a sure thing in Baseball and to bank on a single player is just foolish.

Or look at Jean Segura who mashed only to turn out as one of the worst offensive players in baseball.

This may mark the end to Elian Herrera. Plays all the same positions and Villar is clearly better. As much as I wish this was the end of Segura I doubt that is the case yet.

I think you guys aren't giving Villar enough credit. It looks like he could put up some adequate defense somewhere to be an average starter. A versatile player with speed is something a lot of teams would like to have. Kid has 40 stolen base speed if he played every day and has good OBP skills. Sure that is nothing amazing, but I guess that is better than Grandpa Ramirez or Yuni B.

Bonus is the fact we can control him through 2020 despite 3 years of partial MLB experience.

Could this be the end of Gennett? Villar could play 2B, Herrera can play 3B, Perez and Rivera can fill in everywhere. Gennett might be trade bait either alone or as an extra piece that could give us an extra prospect we like as part of a bigger deal.

Could this be the end of Gennett? Villar could play 2B, Herrera can play 3B, Perez and Rivera can fill in everywhere. Gennett might be trade bait either alone or as an extra piece that could give us an extra prospect we like as part of a bigger deal.

It could be, if a team offers a valuable return for Scooter. I think Villar will be a platoon mate for Scooter.

So we get a very talented, versatile player who our GM watched for 3 years and absolutely loves for a pitcher who is pretty low in pecking order in our system? Sounds good to me. I know, I know some expected a return of Correa for Cy but don't worry we will still survive this terrible trade....I promise you.

I could off the top of my head name 10-15 in our system I prefer over Sneed. Not the I dislike him but overall he is highly replaceable. To get a quality major league play for him is way more that I would have expected.

For someone to say they are underwhelmed with Stearns doesn't make much sense to me. For KRod we shed his whole salary & got at least one solid prospect and still don't know who the other player is yet. Then we get a versatile guy who can play SS/3B/2B/OF who appears to be ahead of Sardinas & Rivera....Perez & Herrera, and has shown signs of becoming a very helpful roster piece whether it is super utility or everyday guy.... For what scouts refer to as a fringe/average pitching prospect in Sneed... Not bad

I don't think this means the end of Segura. I'd look at him at 3B 1st then super utility. What he does do is give insurgence to trade Jean or Scooter before Arcia is ready. Really there is no way I can view this a bad move since we got him nearly for free.

Lopez, Hader, Houser, Wagner, T. Williams, Ponce, Kirby, D. Williams, Ortega, Mederois, Diplan, Diaz, Ventura, Hobbs......not sure how many of these guys I'd put Cy in front of.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Vs. RHP - Gennett at 2B, Villar/Segura 50/50 split at SS

Vs. LHP - Villar at 2B, Segura at SS

Yes, I know that Segura does not necessarily crush LH pitching as a platoon type.

I think Villar goes between 3B and 2B to be honest. He isn't that good defensively at SS and doesn't have a future there anyway as Brewer. If we are going to pay $3mil for Segura we might as well let him have full playing time and hope he creates some trade interest with a good season.

#2, i don't like giving up Sneed. I know he doesn't have a high ceiling, but pitched very well for the T-Rats.

Agreed 100%!

He was also a super nice kid and a joy to watch on the mound.

I know we currently have relatively deep pitching in the minors, but I don't like trading pitching as we will always need it. This trade doesn't make me happy.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived