Brewer Fanatic

Yasiel Puig & Jose Fernandez

Both of these young stars are rumored to be on the trading block. Fernandez is 23 & Puig is 24. Of course the Brewers would be considered longshots to trade for either of them, but they do fit into David Stearns' mantra of "controllable young talent".

Fernandez especially would help keep excitement for the Brewers going among casual fans & ticket buyers during the rebuild. He is arby eligible in 2016 and would be a free agent in 2019.

Puig is much more expensive but isn't a free agent until 2020.

I'm not suggesting the Brewers trade for either, but they do present an intriguing possibility. Lucroy plus Braun for Fernandez as essential components of a trade would be a very fascinating blockbuster.

Both would have huge trade value in the future if they actualize their superstar potential & remain healthy.

Again: not predicting it is going to happen but I bet Stearns is at least exploring every parameter. He would need to determine if the Brewers could actually contend in 2018 (or 2017)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Adding Braun would simply take away some of Lucroy's value unless we eat a substantial amount of his remaining salary. I just do not see either as a good fit. We should not be looking to add all-star caliber players only to waste 2-3 years of team control while we are rebuilding. As for keeping the fans excited to sell tickets. Who cares if the attendance drops to 2 million for the next few years since the teams payroll will be dropping by close to $30MM during the same time frame. Stearns needs to focus on selling high on players who he does not see as part of our core when our next competitive window arrives (i.e. 2018/19) and get the best package of prospects offered.

For a rebuilding team it makes no sense to trade current value for current value. It would be addition by subtraction and we would be in the same place. The teams that would trade for Jose are teams already good that can trade away future value(prospects they don't need right now).

I'll take them both and then sign David Price and some other free agents. Oh wait, we're the Brewers. Nm, pass.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Jose Fernandez? No. It'd cost Arcia/Phillips, and 3 more top 20 prospects in the Brewers system.

Yasiel Puig. This is the Braun trade-away I'd imagine happening. If you're trying to unload him.

After all his off the field issues, I'd pass on Puig. I think Braun is worth more and would rather get a different value of Star potential player when he is traded.

Jose Fernandez? No. It'd cost Arcia/Phillips, and 3 more top 20 prospects in the Brewers system.

Yasiel Puig. This is the Braun trade-away I'd imagine happening. If you're trying to unload him.

After all his off the field issues, I'd pass on Puig. I think Braun is worth more and would rather get a different value of Star potential player when he is traded.

I'd absolutely buy low on Puig if he's actually available...I don't think Braun would be the fit, but perhaps a deal centered around Lucroy / Puig and pieces on one or both sides is more realistic. I'm personally not going to start speculating on names of minor leaguers for the trade though as it's pretty much throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks. A base deal of Lucroy for Puig sounds good to me, if they could get Austin Barnes in the deal even better.

Puig is in a massive media market and it may just be too much for him...bringing him to a smaller town situation with a better environment could do him wonders.

Puig seems so over rated to me.

I don't like his attitude, and I don't believe he is nearly as impressive as he thinks he is.

I don't think he is the kind of guy to throw into the mix of a young rebuilding team (due to his prima donna attitude and showoffmanship), especially if we'd have to pay market value for him.

I'd pass.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

For a rebuilding team it makes no sense to trade current value for current value. It would be addition by subtraction and we would be in the same place. The teams that would trade for Jose are teams already good that can trade away future value(prospects they don't need right now).

Except they've already traded future value in Sardinas and Sneed for current value in Villar and Flores so Stearns isn't going about building a farm system, he's trying to improve the product on the field while making it younger at the same time.. Fernandez is a young ace who'd make them serious contenders immediately if they didn't have to sacrifice much from the present roster. If they could get him for a package like Peralta, Lopez, Santana, Houser and Lara, I'd think long and hard about it because they'd still have Arcia, Phillips and Hader on the cusp of their careers.

Count me not interested in Puig either.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Except they've already traded future value in Sardinas and Sneed for current value in Villar and Flores so Stearns isn't going about building a farm system, he's trying to improve the product on the field while making it younger at the same time.. Fernandez is a young ace who'd make them serious contenders immediately if they didn't have to sacrifice much from the present roster. If they could get him for a package like Peralta, Lopez, Santana, Houser and Lara, I'd think long and hard about it because they'd still have Arcia, Phillips and Hader on the cusp of their careers.

Fernandez doesn't get them even CLOSE to being competitive. They won 68 games last year. Fernandez doesn't make a 68 win team a 90 win team. This line of thinking of trading 18+ years of cost controlled talent for 2-3 years of one guy is what gets teams like the Brewers where they are now.

There's years where doing this sort of thing is viable. This is not that year.

Except Flores and Villar are controlled for like 5 years. That and we didn't give up huge value. We gave up a garbage utility bat and a pitcher we have a dozen similar ones of. Fernandez would take Arcia, Phillips, Lopez, and Hader....heck maybe more. How would that make sense?

Fernandez doesn't get them even CLOSE to being competitive. They won 68 games last year. Fernandez doesn't make a 68 win team a 90 win team. This line of thinking of trading 18+ years of cost controlled talent for 2-3 years of one guy is what gets teams like the Brewers where they are now.

There's years where doing this sort of thing is viable. This is not that year.

Every single time a healthy Jose Fernandez hits the mound its 7+ innings of shutdown baseball. The Brewers were at their best when we had an ace (Zack Greinke) who you could count on for 7+ innings of shutdown baseball. Fernandez wouldn't get us to 90 wins initially, but the amount of stress he would take off the rest of the staff & the bullpen would be invaluable and raise the overall quality of pitching.

Who is to say its 2-3 years? This is a new organization, and we have a ton of cap room. Why can't we sign him long term? This is the perfect time to buy low right here and try to sign him to a SEMI outrageous sum instead of Scherzer money with the tommy john out of the way. That kind of thinking would help continue mediocrity in Milwaukee...you can't just flip your stars forever.

Every single time a healthy Jose Fernandez hits the mound its 7+ innings of shutdown baseball.

He's gone 7 innings or more 19 times in 47 starts. If we were close to competing and had a really strong farm system, Fernandez is a guy you consider selling prospects for. We're not though, so we shouldn't even consider it.

Every single time a healthy Jose Fernandez hits the mound its 7+ innings of shutdown baseball.

If you're going to make superlative statements like this, they should at least come somewhat close to being true.

And if you did some research you'd know that Redmond perpetually pulled Fernandez early in 2013 until the training wheels came off and they started letting him run 100 pitches...then it was 7IP nearly every start.

If you'd like to go further he was going 7 to 8 innings in 2014 until his elbow blew up in May.

If you're going to make superlative statements like this, they should at least come somewhat close to being true.

And if you did some research you'd know that Redmond perpetually pulled Fernandez early in 2013 until the training wheels came off and they started letting him run 100 pitches...then it was 7IP nearly every start.

If you'd like to go further he was going 7 to 8 innings in 2014 until his elbow blew up in May.

The point is, no pitcher throws 7+ innings of shutdown baseball every time they hit the mound, regardless of how their manager treated them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He had 8 starts in 2014. In 4 of those starts he pitched 7 innings. That's 50% of the starts. That's not 'every single time'. I'll state again, if you're going to use superlatives, they should at least be close to being true.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/marlins-discussing-jose-fernandez-with-dodgers-two-others-deal-still-unlikely.html

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports tweets that the Marlins asked the Dodgers for both Julio Urias and Corey Seager in exchange for Fernandez, illustrating the fact that the Marlins aren’t shopping him but only looking to move him if they can receive an overwhelming return. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports asked one rival exec what he thought the Dodgers would need to part with in order to acquire Fernandez, and the exec said Urias, Seager and Scott Van Slyke — an even more sizable haul.

From the sounds of that asking price, I don't think Fernandez will be going anywhere this offseason. But stranger things have happened I suppose.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Twitter World is saying Dodgers would need to pay Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, Urias, and two more for Jose Fernandez..... if true, I don't forsee any team getting him. I don't think there is a player in baseball outside of maybe Trout or Harper that I give up that kind of package for.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Twitter World is saying Dodgers would need to pay Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, Urias, and two more for Jose Fernandez..... if true, I don't forsee any team getting him. I don't think there is a player in baseball outside of maybe Trout or Harper that I give up that kind of package for.

No one is worth that. It gets to a point where a players value is so high no one can pay what they are worth. This is that case.

This is the Marlins telling the baseball world, he is not available unless you want to give up your entire future for him....for a young kid who is coming off TJ ha

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

That is such a joke. Urias sounds like future Jose Fernandez. There are maybe 2teams that could offer Urias Ceiling talent? None that can offer Seagers talent?

Personally, Heyward signing with the Cubs Gives me the impression they could put a package together to acquire Fernandez. Almora at CF, Shwarber 1b, Baez 2b/ss, CJ Edwards currently a Swingman type.

Archived