Brewer Fanatic

Indians as trade partners?

Indians are seeking OF help with the injury to Brantley.

They have displaced young and controllable veteran lefty hitting 3B in Lonnie Chisenhall and his young heir apparent Giovanny Urshela.

Brewers have some OF excess, and Santana would be an excellent chip if as I do you think Reed could be just as good though with less power. Santana for Chisenhall and young lefty reliever Giovanni Soto? Indians are said to covet Soler from Cubs who'd want a young stud starter in return. Santana is just a nick behind Soler, and much better defensively and the Brewer need is 3B.

At this point, wouldn't it make more sense to try and grab younger guys like Bradley (1B) and Mejia © who would not be counted to the 40 man? I know we need a 3B, but we are going to be pushing 90 losses anyway this year. Why not just give the job to Perez and try and to get younger talent who can come up with the younglings?

I don't have an issue with your idea, I'm just wondering why we don't go younger since Stearns has said he wants to infuse the system with young, controllable guys.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Not sure if Chisenhall is worth trading for if the cost is Santana. He is arbitration eligible and will become a free agent in 2019 just around the time we should start being competitive again. I just doesn't make sense to trade away Santana for a stop gap 3B and lefty reliever. I would be looking for high ceiling prospects in Low or High A who could be ready to contribute come 2018 and beyond. I would want one of the following back for Santana: Aiken, Kaminsky, Sheffield or Bradley.

No way I want Chisenhall. He's going to be a free agent after 2017.

This is an exact example of where this board needs to stop panicking about the near-term position depth. If collectively it were the GM, it would be left with no Santana and a mediocre 3B that is probably going to skip town or get overpaid by the time we care about competing again.

I'd honestly prefer signing Yuni Betancourt to play 3B for 2 years (since it does not matter - we have no chance to compete), keeping Santana, and attempting to sign Chisenhall in 2018.

This is an exact example of where this board needs to stop panicking about the near-term position depth. If collectively it were the GM, it would be left with no Santana and a mediocre 3B that is probably going to skip town or get overpaid by the time we care about competing again.

I'd honestly prefer signing Yuni Betancourt to play 3B for 2 years (since it does not matter - we have no chance to compete), keeping Santana, and attempting to sign Chisenhall in 2018.

He actually is under team control through the 2018 season.

He actually is under team control through the 2018 season.

Don't doubt you, as certain sources can be incorrect...but I'm looking at Cot's (Baseball Prospectus)

Looking at his service time in general, I would agree that it looks more like he'll be a FA in 2019.

Either way, it does not change the idea. No interest on filling a hole with a mediocre player that will be gone before the rebuild is done or just as it is finishing.

Not sure if Chisenhall is worth trading for if the cost is Santana. He is arbitration eligible and will become a free agent in 2019 just around the time we should start being competitive again. I just doesn't make sense to trade away Santana for a stop gap 3B and lefty reliever. I would be looking for high ceiling prospects in Low or High A who could be ready to contribute come 2018 and beyond. I would want one of the following back for Santana: Aiken, Kaminsky, Sheffield or Bradley.

Santana remains a boom or bust guy in my estimation. He's got a lot of holes in his swing. His value may never be higher. He's got a higher ceiling than Reed but Reed's floor is considerably higher. Agree with you they'd need more than Chisenhall that's why I suggested a young lefty reliever in the deal perhaps more.

Santana should be able to net at least a #2/3 ceiling pitching prospect based on his post-trade production. I have no inclination to trade him for anything less and certainly not for a package headlined by an average at best 3B who lost his job mid-season. This a player who before the trade was a top 100 prospect (#50 in 2014). Thanks but no thanks!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Regarding Chisenhall, as noted, he moved to RF and played outstanding defense there. His 3B play has, generally, been below average.

All that said, Chisenhall is the kind of guy that if you can get cheap - and you think you can help him get back to being a .280 hitter like he was in 2014 - you can do it. It's not like he's blocking anyone important if he's at 3B. If it works, you have yourself a nice asset to deal at the trade deadline, or the next offseason. If you fail, you blow a couple of million bucks and move on.

Again, there are several things that have to work for something like this. First, the player has to come cheaply. You don't want to give up a good prospect for a guy like this. The second thing is you have to have an obvious hole. You don't want to trade or sign a guy like this just to block a young player who we would be better off giving the job to.

If Chisenhall was released or made available via a cheap trade, I'd add him and let him play most everyday (at least against right handers). Of course, if the team adds someone else to play the position, or they really like an in-house option (Perez or whomever), then fine, just pass.

I don't mind getting Chisenhall if the price is something other than a very young prospect. Santana is under team control through 2021 and Chisenhall only is until 2018. I'm OK with flipping Chisenhall again if he shows something, but I'd rather we give up something with similar or less control to get him. Otherwise, I'd just take my chances and try to get Chisenhall 2-3 years from now if I'm dying to have him.

Khris Davis is cheap, proven, controllable for 3-4 more years, Indians have no shortage of 1B options and High ceiling pitchers.

1B

Jesus Aguilar AAA/MLB 25 - Power bat who just smokes ball, could be a 1B Davis who hits .240 with 25-35 bombs. Lower .310-.320 OBP

Nellie Rodriquez AA 21 (Pretty sure same high school as Angel Salome so coach could come back!) Once again big power bat. More of a Domingo type approach, will K a lot but still take his walks.

Bobby Bradley A+ 19 YES PLEASE! Kid is the stud 1st baseman we have needed since Prince.

3B Yady Diaz may not jump off the page but he appears to just hit and produce.

C Frankie Mejia 20 year old catcher who will be in A+ next season, is talented, high ceiling, good pop.

Kaminsky, Aiken, McKenzie, Sheffield, Hillman are all very young and unproven but have that high upside you love to bring in.

I'd gladly trade Khris Davis for Bobby Bradley and Frankie Mejia......throw in one of our minor league guys to get Diaz throw in...perfect!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I'd gladly trade Khris Davis for Bobby Bradley and Frankie Mejia.

Doubt they would even consider trading Bradley though. That guy is about half a season of good baseball at AA from shooting up prospect lists. Meija also has some serious future potential.

But if they really felt like Khris Davis would make a difference it wouldn't be the most unfair trade value wise I have seen. Though money is on the Indians looking like total fools in 3 years if they pulled the trigger.

Archived