Brewer Fanatic

2015 Rule 5 Possibilities (1B/3B)

pacopete4

Agreed on Perdomo, but it's such a big jump from A-ball. I like Guzman and Tocci as well, but same deal.

If you think Goeddel can play third, you have to consider him. As an OF, I still like the bat, maybe not enough to take a chance on him though.

Del Pozo has a pretty nice built-in excuse to be shut down midseason.

For a guy like Guduan, you have to rely on what your scouts/coaches think as far as with his command issues, is there any possible way that he could make it through an MLB season without being a complete liability? Even on a team that's not going anywhere in 2016, you can't keep a guy that's going to walk every other batter. Guduan is an Astros prospect, and not to belabor the connection between Astros prospects and Stearns, but Stearns might be in a great position to be able to make that determination.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know we're flush with OF'ers, but its amazing to me the Phillies didn't protect Carlos Tocci. Doesn't show much power but a very notable prospect.

Plus the fact that he has never played AA ball even yet.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

BA's take on the Rule 5 draft:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2015-rule-5-draft-preview-names-remember/

They add two more names to the corner infielder discussion:

Ronny Rodriguez, 2b/3b, Indians (23): An athletic infielder who slugged .491 last year in his third stint at Double-A Akron despite missing time with a broken hamate, Rodriguez was a shortstop who moved to second in deference to Francisco Lindor. He still gets over to shortstop on a sporadic basis, but he’s much more suited to playing second, third and even a little first base.
Jacob Wilson, 2b/3b, Cardinals (25): A righthanded hitter with significant power for a middle infielder (18 home runs last season between Double-A and Triple-A), Wilson has some defensive versatility as he’s an above-average defender at second and third base with an above-average arm. He can play a little bit of outfield as well, adding to his versatility. He did struggle to make contact this past season, but that power could get him picked.

FWIW, of the 46 players listed as potential Rule 5 prospects, zero were Brewers.

If Rodriguez can play 3rd, I think we look at him. 23 yrs old, has some versatility at 2B and SS. Also, he missed time with a hand injury and still slugged .491? Pretty good as I think most players with hand/wrist injuries usually don't get back to 100% for a year or so.

...or we could steal from the Cardinals. Either way its a win.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Either of those sound interesting. The versatility for 2B/3B is interesting.

This guy is interesting too:

Balbino Fuenmayor, 1b, Royals (26): One of the best stories around, Fuenmayor signed for big money ($750,000) with the Blue Jays as a 16-year-old out of Venezuela. Fuenmayor’s power never appeared in his time as a Blue Jay; he ended up being released and seemingly washed up as a 23-year-old. But he rebuilt his career in the independent leagues and was Baseball America’s 2014 Independent Leagues Player of the Year. The Royals signed him and he responded by having one of the best year’s in the minors. Fuenmayor hit .358/.384/.589 between Double-A and Triple-A (and played in the Futures Game) before he tore his ACL in late July. Fuenmayor has plus to plus-plus power potential and he’s hit for average despite a swing-at-everything approach. He’s limited to first base defensively and fits best in the American League where he could also DH. Fuenmayor’s injury will make it a little tougher for him to earn a job in spring training, but some team could take a chance on acquiring some significant power cheaply

If Rodriguez can play 3rd, I think we look at him. 23 yrs old, has some versatility at 2B and SS. Also, he missed time with a hand injury and still slugged .491? Pretty good as I think most players with hand/wrist injuries usually don't get back to 100% for a year or so.

...or we could steal from the Cardinals. Either way its a win.

I say get both. One could stick at second, the other at third.

Balbino Fuenmayor, 1b, Royals (26): One of the best stories around, Fuenmayor signed for big money ($750,000) with the Blue Jays as a 16-year-old out of Venezuela. Fuenmayor’s power never appeared in his time as a Blue Jay; he ended up being released and seemingly washed up as a 23-year-old. But he rebuilt his career in the independent leagues and was Baseball America’s 2014 Independent Leagues Player of the Year. The Royals signed him and he responded by having one of the best year’s in the minors. Fuenmayor hit .358/.384/.589 between Double-A and Triple-A (and played in the Futures Game) before he tore his ACL in late July. Fuenmayor has plus to plus-plus power potential and he’s hit for average despite a swing-at-everything approach. He’s limited to first base defensively and fits best in the American League where he could also DH. Fuenmayor’s injury will make it a little tougher for him to earn a job in spring training, but some team could take a chance on acquiring some significant power cheaply

A less than 30 point split between BA and OBP makes him pretty unappealing to me. If we had to trade anything of value it would cost to much.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

A less than 30 point split between BA and OBP makes him pretty unappealing to me. If we had to trade anything of value it would cost to much.

I like Zach Borenstein. Big power bat, 80-point splint between average and OBP. Lefty power bat...

I like Zach Borenstein. Big power bat, 80-point splint between average and OBP. Lefty power bat...

Looks like a solid bat but where does he fit in defensively on this team?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If we had to trade anything of value it would cost to much

That's why we talk about them in rule 5 draft. ;)

I'm guessing someone limited to 1B or DH is a bad option for a rule 5 draft pick. Rather, someone that plays multiple positions makes more sense. But 1B is a need. With his injury, you could start him on the IR. Then have him rehab in the minors. He may only have to be in the majors the last couple months.

It will be interesting to see if this regime is more OBP focused than DM's.

I think the trades he has made thus far for the major league club shows he is more OBP focused, got rid of Sardinas as well. Definitely would not rule out a guy limited to 1B or DH, Canha was drafted last year by the A's and did okay.

Backup corner OF/1B. Depending on how he does, might give the option of trading Khris Davis.

I wouldn't mind if they gambled on rivera or Rodriguez out of the rule 5 at 3B. If they completely fail, then use 3B to get Rivera and Villar some at bats if Seguras still there. Maybe Orf could be another option at 3B during the season

Backup corner OF/1B. Depending on how he does, might give the option of trading Khris Davis.

This should be an option regardless since you can move Braun back to LF and put Santana in RF. Flores, Reed or a FA stop gap (i.e. Jackson, Stubbs or Maxwell) can start in CF.

• 2 weeks later...
This may have been addressed before, but since there is a player to be named coming to Milwaukee from Detroit, can the tigers make a rule 5 pick for the brewers and trade him immediately? With us picking 5th and Detroit picking 9th, there are definitely opportunities to improve.

This may have been addressed before, but since there is a player to be named coming to Milwaukee from Detroit, can the tigers make a rule 5 pick for the brewers and trade him immediately? With us picking 5th and Detroit picking 9th, there are definitely opportunities to improve.

Yes and no. I believe the Tigers would have to offer the player back and then they would be able to trade the player. I think this is what would have to happen.

Yes and no. I believe the Tigers would have to offer the player back and then they would be able to trade the player. I think this is what would have to happen.

No you can trade Rule 5 picks, but the same rules apply once traded. Must stay on the 25 man roster all year.

EDIT: Also a Rule 5 guy can be claimed on waivers too and another team can pick him up. There was an example of a player last season or the season prior where a Rule 5 pick was traded and claimed on waivers if I remember right.

Correct, lefty Andrew McKirahan was drafted by the Marlins, put on waivers before the season and claimed by the Braves. The Braves kind of caught a break when he was suspended 80 games for drug use so by the time the Braves got him back they were pretty much out of the race so had no problem keeping him.

Really? I have nothing against Borenstein. Heck he's practically a neighbor, having played at Buffalo Grove High School at the same time my son was attending a rival school. But he's not really a prospect despite some decent years in the minors. He's done nothing yet at AAA and he's now 25. As a replacement for Davis? No.

I know he isn't a 1b or 3b but I personally take Astros left-hander Reymin Guduan if he is there. He has been bad. He is a low level, 5 ERA, Walk an inning type kid, however, it is easy to hide an arm in the bullpen on a bad team and when that kid is throwing 100+ from the left side....you just pray Johnson can harness him. Really there is no safe rule 5 selection. When you pick a guy, you are just hoping there is a chance they catch fire and catch on. I think the reward is greater than the risk when you are talking about that big of an arm talent. He is a Chapman with no control right now...get him to harness a little bit...watch out!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Interesting fact I saw today since we were talking about it before:

You actually NEED open 40 man roster spots BEFORE the Rule 5 draft starts to draft a player. You are not allowed to draft a player and then go try to make a roster spot for him.

[sarcasm]Maybe we are going to draft 5 players?[/sarcasm] :laughing

Yeah, the player is yours as soon as you claim him, right? It's the same as the moment a trade is completed.

I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted two. I'm still wondering about Stearns' timing in creating the other three spots. Let's say the roster's at 37. He pulls off a 2 for 5 trade(s), and all 5 new guys have to be on the 40-man, bringing it to 40. Couldn't he clear more spots right before the Rule 5?

Let's say the roster's at 37. He pulls off a 2 for 5 trade(s), and all 5 new guys have to be on the 40-man, bringing it to 40. Couldn't he clear more spots right before the Rule 5?

Most likely, just trying to rationalize clearing so many spots so early. Maybe there is no real reason than to just drop players you don't want. I just find it surprising to drop a potentially useful Strong before you really need to. What if the trades/claims/etc. don't make it to him and suddenly we have extra spots we didn't need?

Sure I am probably overthinking it and Strong is nothing special, but it is a slow December day. What else does one do?

Archived