Brewer Fanatic

2015 Rule 5 Possibilities (1B/3B)

pacopete4

Stole this from BrewBalls in the MLB forum and figured it would possibly be a nice discussion here.

This is the list of corner infielders listed as a top 30 team prospect who are eligible for the Rule 5 draft a could be available.

Cubs: #20 Jeimer Candelario (3B)

White Sox: #28 Keon Barnum (1B)

Royals : #28 Balbino Ruenmayer (1B)

Rays: #27 Patrick Leonard (1B)

Rangers: #23 Ronald Guzman (1B)

Nats: #22 Matt Skole (3B/1B)

Mets: #28 Jayce Boyd (1B)

Yankees: #20 Miguel Andjuar (3B)

Blue Jays: #17 Matt Dean (1B) and #21 Andy Burns (3B)

Not sure if any of these players warrant being picked but thought it was an interesting list.

The Cubs Jeimer Candelario is an intriguing player. Young, switch hitter that has had some success.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Problem with Candelario is the Cubs currently only have 30 players on their current roster with only four prospects ahead of him who need to be added (i.e. Johnson, Contreras, Vogelbach and Black). I don't think he will be left available but I could be wrong.

Maybe our new Assistant GM knows something about Leonard that might make him worth a shot. I would love to take a shot at the Cub's kid, but it sounds like he might be protected. It's crazy how much talent they have over there and they can protect them all.

I would also take a shot at Labourt. Might very well be another Wang situation, but seems like he'd be worth a shot if he can handle getting knocked around once in awhile mentally. Our new pitching coach (Johnson?) might be able to keep his confidence up.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

If the Jays don't protect Burns, I'd take him without hesitation.

He would be a solid upgrade over Herrera and Perez and would complete for regular playing time at 3B while still being able to play anywhere in the infield as well as spot start in LF. He definitely projects more as a utility player who can provide some pop off the bench.

Matt Skole has been left unprotected and hit .238/.357/.457/.814 at AAA last season. Might be worth a shot if we trade Lind, why not.

Sign me up. Plays 3B/1B, left handed bat, shown 30 homerun power in the minors (66 HR in 1616 AB) and takes walks (293 in those same 1616 AB, as well as 441 Ks... but who's counting ;) ). He's not your typical, young, high upside, see if he can make it through the year so you can stash him in the minors guy, but he's going into his age 26 year and seems like a good flyer to take. Looks like a 3TO type that could be fun to watch, pop some homeruns and might turn into a nice trade piece if nothing else.

I would also take a shot at Labourt. Might very well be another Wang situation, but seems like he'd be worth a shot if he can handle getting knocked around once in awhile mentally. Our new pitching coach (Johnson?) might be able to keep his confidence up.

He was protected, however very well could be the other piece in the KRod trade which is even better! He was so awful this season but the talent is over flowing for him

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Matt Skole has been left unprotected and hit .238/.357/.457/.814 at AAA last season. Might be worth a shot if we trade Lind, why not.

Sign me up. Plays 3B/1B, left handed bat, shown 30 homerun power in the minors (66 HR in 1616 AB) and takes walks (293 in those same 1616 AB, as well as 441 Ks... but who's counting ;) ). He's not your typical, young, high upside, see if he can make it through the year so you can stash him in the minors guy, but he's going into his age 26 year and seems like a good flyer to take. Looks like a 3TO type that could be fun to watch, pop some homeruns and might turn into a nice trade piece if nothing else.

Not much to lose at either corner IF position.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/157830358/top-10-prospects-available-in-rule-5-draft

Here's a good article on this years rule 5. Some interesting ones out there

Reymin Guduan makes me drool. Some team is going to take a chance on a lefty who can hit 100.

Too many walks. Almost one an inning.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/157830358/top-10-prospects-available-in-rule-5-draft

Reymin Guduan makes me drool. Some team is going to take a chance on a lefty who can hit 100.

Maybe, but if he puts together a dominant season or two, he becomes a trade asset.

It is the rule 5 draft, you take that risk because it low risk high reward. Lefties who throw 100 don't grow on trees. You just hope and he pray he puts it all together for you. If not, all you did was lose 50k (no much in baseball terms) and offer him back.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nicholas at Disciples of Uecker has put together a list of his favorite Rule 5 possibilities for the Crew:

http://disciplesofuecker.com/rule-5-preview/25018

RHP Brady Rodgers (Astros)

C Roberto Pena (Astros)

C Tyler Marlette (Mariners)

1B Patrick Leonard (Rays)

3B Tyler Goeddel (Rays)

UTIL Niko Goodrum (Twins)

1B Ronald Guzman (Rangers)

LHP Luis Lugo (Indians)

LHP Miguel del Pozo (Marlins)

C Jose Briceno (Braves [now Angels])

CF Carlos Tocci (Phillies)

Well worth the read.

Luis Perdomo is intriguing. Is still working as a starter, has three pitch repertoire and if put into the bullpen his fastball plays up to the mid to upper 90's. We would also be taking from the Cardinals which would be an added bonus.

Archived