Brewer Fanatic

Dan Vogelbach?

Mudville9

He is obviously blocked by Rizzo. MLB has him as the Cubs #12 which probably puts him in our top 10. Anyone know what it would take to get him? Honestly I'm not even sure he would be a good option since he pretty much all bat, but it might be worth checking out due to our black hole of 1B unless we get Braun to move there.

Would Will Smith be enough to pry him loose?

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He is obviously blocked by Rizzo. MLB has him as the Cubs #12 which probably puts him in our top 10. Anyone know what it would take to get him? Honestly I'm not even sure he would be a good option since he pretty much all bat, but it might be worth checking out due to our black hole of 1B unless we get Braun to move there.

Would Will Smith be enough to pry him loose?

Vogelbach's bat is interesting, but the guy is probably best suited for DH. He's huge and a horrible fielder - one Cub site said his defense was 'atrocious' and compared him to a 'less athletic David Ortiz' at 1B. Ouch. And then there's his base running - it's as bad as you can get - MLB Pipeline gave him their lowest possible grade as a runner.

Figuring out what it would take to get him is sort of tough. Power is so tantalizing, and the guy has some serious power potential. But in the end,he's not really hit that many HRs. Prince Fielder - who I'm sure a lot of people will compare Vogelbach to (both skill wise and physically) - had 28 HR in 103 games as a 21 year old at AAA. Vogelbach will be 23 next month, and his best season is 19 HR - between A- and A+. The guy takes lots of walks.

My gut is that he can fetch an okay bullpen arm or a platoon type guy. He's just so one dimensional. Smith is probably an overpay, but that's just a guess. I might be overvaluing Smith.

Personally, I hope we can avoid these horrible fielding type guys. I think you end up overpaying them in the long run because their raw numbers look great on paper - but then you pay for it through all the little things that we overlook - bad range at 1B, slow runner, etc.

I did read one site that brought up the question of whether Vogelbach will be protected in the Rule 5 draft (he's played 1/2 season at AA, but not at AAA). If he's not protected, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone take a flyer on him. Probably an AL team with an open DH slot.

I hope you are right! Although that would be a horrible defensive team. Probably one at 1st, one at third, and one in left?

Gross. I'd much rather have the Voltron of infielders discussed in another thread.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Archived