Brewer Fanatic

KROD to the Tigers for Betancourt and PTBNL (PTBNL is catcher Manny Piña, post 157)

jw5511986

The PTBNL is likely due to the Rule 5 draft in December. Maybe they want a guy who could be picked, but don't want him if they have to use a 40 man spot so have a list of other players in that scenario?

Regardless I know this has happened before due to Rule 5 reasons.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What makes Betancourt an exciting get? Reading about this guy and I'm just not seeing it. Anyone?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Pretty much a salary dump for Milwaukee.

I am excited to be able to type in the 'Betancourt' on a regular basis again!

I'm not going to lie. Part of me wants to edit the Javier out of the subject line and watch the sitewide freakout.

No doubt...I'm telling myself we got Javier PBTBNL rather than he who shall not be named...not sure I could handle that name on the team again. I'm still suffering from post traumatic Yuni disorder.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What makes Betancourt an exciting get? Reading about this guy and I'm just not seeing it. Anyone?

He's not exciting. He's the 11th ranked prospect in what is arguably the worst system in baseball. Maybe the PTBNL will help make this trade a bit more exciting, but losing his salary is probably the best thing for the club, as well as clearing a roster spot and simply letting our young guys play.

He's not exciting. He's the 11th ranked prospect in what is arguably the worst system in baseball. Maybe the PTBNL will help make this trade a bit more exciting, but losing his salary is probably the best thing for the club, as well as clearing a roster spot and simply letting our young guys play.

Moving the salary is fine and dandy but Krod really isn't blocking too much. He's a closer. They pitch about 60 times, maybe, on a bad ball club. I really hope the PTBNL is something of use because I would toss money down that this Betancourt doesn't sniff the majors.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Moving the salary is fine and dandy but Krod really isn't blocking too much. He's a closer. They pitch about 60 times, maybe, on a bad ball club. I really hope the PTBNL is something of use because I would toss money down that this Betancourt doesn't sniff the majors.

You've hit the nail on the head. This is exactly why he had minimal trade value around the league. He's a "closer" that is about as good as 40-50 other relievers but happened to pitch in the 9th inning. No reason to keep him around and I doubt his value was getting any higher save for the fact that his "money owed" goes down every day from here on out.

Let's assume we'd never get a better offer for K-Rod and neither Betancourt nor PTBNL sniff the majors -- well, that's $15ish million that Mark A. can spend elsewhere. K-Rod was not going to take the Brewers anywhere over the next 2 years.

Yah I will put my money on Javier Betancourt to never be anything useful. He reminds me of Yadiel Rivera(no offense), but at least Rivera can play 3rd/SS. At least with Rivera you can wishfully think he can be a utility guy. Betancourt can't really play SS so he either becomes a starting caliber 2B or he is a bust. Unless the Brewers know something everyone else doesn't it was pretty much a salary relief move. Which is fine in my books, but the return is nothing special.

Not very appealing to me this return. A ptbnl doesn't he have to be decided upon within 6months? If I'm right that is April 18th. Not exactly a KRod having time to produce a trade value. Like he reaches 30saves Brewers get Player !. He doesn't reach 30saves Brewers get Player b.

The PTBNL is likely due to the Rule 5 draft in December. Maybe they want a guy who could be picked, but don't want him if they have to use a 40 man spot so have a list of other players in that scenario?

Regardless I know this has happened before due to Rule 5 reasons.

Yep. I'm guessing we'll know the PTBNL in the next few weeks at the latest.

Not very appealing to me this return. A ptbnl doesn't he have to be decided upon within 6months? If I'm right that is April 18th. Not exactly a KRod having time to produce a trade value. Like he reaches 30saves Brewers get Player !. He doesn't reach 30saves Brewers get Player b.

Not that is matters, but I didn't think you could do that in baseball? I always thought that was more of a football thing with the draft picks. For baseball I thought you get the original list and that is the list you will pick from no matter what.

Not that is matters, but I didn't think you could do that in baseball? I always thought that was more of a football thing with the draft picks. For baseball I thought you get the original list and that is the list you will pick from no matter what.

The rules might have changed but the Indians got Brantley instead of Green because of the Brewers performance post trade.

Next step in this process is to pick up 1 or 2 reclamation project relievers at 1 year, $2 million or something in that ballpark. Ship them off at the deadline if they're able to put up mirage save numbers. Don't give a guy like Jeffress or another pre-arby guy the job because all it will do is jack up their arby $.

It is possible that none of these guys in the K-Rod trade or the "next up reclamation project" trade get to the majors or provide excitement beyond that of Yadiel Rivera...but basically you're putting 2-3 extra Yadiel Riveras in the system and the total cost is $10 million less than what you'd have paid just keeping K-Rod for 2 years. Maybe one of those Yadiel Riveras magically learns to hit and at the worst, you've got some guys that can play MLB defense in your system if 2-3 guys at a certain position get hurt.

Two questions:

1) where would you rank Javy B amongst the Brewers prospects? without looking closely at it yet, I peg him in that 25-35 range and above Yadiel Rivera & Tucker Neuhaus.

2) i wonder why we didn't pick up some or all of K-Rods salary for a better prospect? people here are stating that they are excited about the money we saved for K-Rod and mentioned that it frees up Stearn to use it elsewhere. but, we probably aren't going to be competing in the next couple years and won't be targeting FAs so won't really need it. however, what we could use are high impact prospects.

From Last May -- Tigers prospect scouting report: Javier Betancourt (detailed write-up)

Awesome, thanks for that. I like this trade, alot, from the perspective of the salary dump but also because Javi-B has real potential. From the above linked article:

"Betancourt is an above-average defender who makes routine plays with ease. He has great reactions off the bat, a quick first step and impressive instincts that allow him to make the occasional spectacular play. Betancourt has soft hands and smooth transfers from glove to hand. The defense isn't flashy or loud by any means, but it's polished. Betancourt always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He's undoubtedly an asset, defensively."

"Once again this season Betancourt finds himself in an aggressive assignment playing against competition that is several years older. He's currently the sixth-youngest player in the Florida State League, where average age is 22-23. Betancourt lacks a specific loud carrying tool that you prefer to see, but he is extremely sound across the board. His impeccable instincts and high baseball IQ help his tools appear stronger, and they should continue to advance. Betancourt lacks serious impact talent because of his well-below-average power. But he undoubtedly has realistic potential as a second-division, big-league regular."

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

GCL All-Star at 18/19 we had outstanding debut in Venezuela and continued it into his rookie ball season.

MWL All-Star at 19

Had a solid year at 20 in advanced A.

Overall he is turning 21 in AA if they don't repeat him, making him one of the youngest players in AA. He has an advanced bat for age and like Arcia, he doesn't walk or K very much. I'm very optimistic about him. No matter the case, this is a kid Stearns and his staff really wanted and identified as someone to have in our system. He is a high contact kid like Arcia. More often than not, guys who make a lot of contact will hit for average. Moreover, for same reason Arcia doesn't walk a lot, when you have great hand eye coordination and contact skills, you are able to put anything close in play

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived