Brewer Fanatic

KROD to the Tigers for Betancourt and PTBNL (PTBNL is catcher Manny Piña, post 157)

jw5511986

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

MLB Pipeline ranked Betancourt #11 in the Tigers system. Here's their write up:

"The young Venezuelan infielder has the skills to handle the job. Betancourt largely played second base and it is his best position, with the chance for him to be an above-average defender there. But he's capable of playing shortstop as well, though his range - thanks to his fringy speed - is probably better suited for the right side of the diamond. Betancourt isn't all glove, though, with a very good feel for making consistent contact. He doesn't walk very much, but he also doesn't strike out a ton. He's an advanced offensive player for his age, one who has a line-drive approach to all fields and has the chance to add a little pop as he matures."

.263 BA, .304 OBP, .640 OPS. in 2015 at A+ ball. Posted almost identical numbers at A- in 2014.

As noted above, he doesn't walk much, but doesn't strike out much either. Doesn't steal bases (most is 9 in a season).

Won't be 21 until next May.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Betancourt held his own as a 20-year old in advanced A-ball. Might be Biloxi's 2B next year, though it'll be interesting to see if/how they deal with him and McFarland on the same team.

I was thinking the same thing - McFarland looked ticketed for Biloxi. Chris will be 23 in a week or so - any chance they jump him to AAA? Just thinking weirdly.

Dump K-rod's salary for a 20 year old Venezualan who hit .281 / .323 / .364 / .687 through his 4 years of minors ball? I would say this is a good return. MinorLeagueball.com has the Tigers farm system ranked dead last in MLB but I will take a flyer on a 20 year old from a different country.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=betanc000jav&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

Stearns + 1 on this trade.

Pretty much a salary dump for Milwaukee.

I am excited to be able to type in the 'Betancourt' on a regular basis again!

lol. Javi-B coming to a park near you! Whoohooo to another Betancourt. But this Betancourt probably has better range if he had his shoes on the wrong feet and had his back to the batter :)

I think opening that 40 man spot is a bigger deal than we realize---i would guess those of you who surmised that Stearns will take a rule 5 guy are correct, but the brewers haven't really had roster flexibility before now to do it. Now they can add everyone that really needs to get added and one rule 5 guy.

i wonder if they will try to dump or DFA Garza this week too?

Seems pretty underwhelming for a pretty darn good closer.

Not if you consider Detroit is picking up his entire salary.

A very inexpensive salary in terms of what the going rate for quality closers are. I had similar thoughts but the player to be named later is something that intrigues me. Hopefully another high ceiling player in the mix if Krod pitches well.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm not going to lie. Part of me wants to edit the Javier out of the subject line and watch the sitewide freakout.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm not going to lie. Part of me wants to edit the Javier out of the subject line and watch the sitewide freakout.

Yes. Do it.

Edit: I did it. Couldn't help myself.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Archived