Brewer Fanatic

Trade with Blue Jays

BrewBalls
Any possibility we could trade Garza and Smith to Toronto for Ben Revere. My guess is we would also need to throw in some money to make it work, say $5M but I think it makes sense for both teams. Toronto is looking for a veteran starter to plug in the back end of their rotation while the Brewers needs a CF who can fill in until Phillips is ready to takeover. Revere is best suited for CF, has two more years of team control and is projected to make $6.7M through arbitration. We can still look to trade Braun to create a spot for Santana in RF and Revere would hold trade value if Stearns wanted to flip him for more prospects after next season on the following trade deadline. Revere also adds another left handed bat to the lineup who can lead off.

I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. Would agree the Brewers would have to throw in some significant cash, like at least half of Garza's remaining salary. An opening day OF of Davis, Revere, and Braun is pretty darn competitive.

Sure they could trade Braun, but also think of the value Santana has? It's not like they don't have young OF behind him, particularly Reed who's best position is also RF. Santana might bring you a stud 3B or 1B prospect who's major league ready whereas teams interested in Braun are going to want to lowball you with offers because of Braun's contract.

Why not do Garza/Davis/some cash for Revere and a prospect. Davis fits their homerun slugging team perfectly if you ask me. Can put Braun back over to LF, Revere in CF, and the slugging Santana in RF. Plus then you have Smith still who you can either keep or pair up with another player and fill even more holes.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

First off this would never happen because we have no room in our outfield. It is Braun, Santana, and Davis...unless one is traded we are not going to acquire one. Eventually one of those guys will be moved out for Phillips and only him.

Getting past that and pretending the Brewers have room for Revere and actually want him I still don't see it. The Blue Jays need starters, but I think they can trade Revere for a cheaper option who is also probably better. I also do not see any reason to be throwing around half his salary either. It isn't like Garza had some horrible decline last year. It could very well have been a down year. I would just stick him in as a #5 starter and see how he does. I think he still has a good chance of turning it around. I also don't like the idea of using Will Smith to help dump Matt Garza's salary which is what that trade seems to help do.

First off this would never happen because we have no room in our outfield. It is Braun, Santana, and Davis...unless one is traded we are not going to acquire one. Eventually one of those guys will be moved out for Phillips and only him.

Getting past that and pretending the Brewers have room for Revere and actually want him I still don't see it. The Blue Jays need starters, but I think they can trade Revere for a cheaper option who is also probably better. I also do not see any reason to be throwing around half his salary either. It isn't like Garza had some horrible decline last year. It could very well have been a down year. I would just stick him in as a #5 starter and see how he does. I think he still has a good chance of turning it around. I also don't like the idea of using Will Smith to help dump Matt Garza's salary which is what that trade seems to help do.

Why not do Garza/Davis/some cash for Revere and a prospect. Davis fits their homerun slugging team perfectly if you ask me. Can put Braun back over to LF, Revere in CF, and the slugging Santana in RF. Plus then you have Smith still who you can either keep or pair up with another player and fill even more holes.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Love this idea. Would Garza, Davis and $4M for Revere and Mitch Nay be considered a fair trade?

I don't think the Brewers are as sold on Santana as you think. Remember Stearns was on the Astros payroll when they dealt Santana away. They might even like Reed a tad more than Santana. Revere would help balance their lineup and give them defense in CF that will help their young pitching. You are probably right that it's possible Jays could get more for Revere and wouldn't want Garza. Who does? What constitutes "turning it around" for Garza? Even if he pitched to his 2014 levels, he's not going to be in demand. Brewers would be better off cutting their losses and just releasing him, like the Cubs did with Edwin Jackson last year, even after he performed reasonably well out of the bullpen in April and May as a long man.

Would they want to be even more HR heavy though? I don't know...

I guess I just don't really see the match for either team. I don't see the Blue Jays wanting another power hitter or wanting Garza in their rotation. I really don't see why the Brewers should be targeting Revere.

Don't get me wrong I like Ben Revere. He is the kind of complementing player I would love to have on the team if we were competing. However that is not happening any time soon. If we were competing right now this would be an interesting idea. Revere plus a guy like Pentecost for them would be something to think about.

It would make more sense for the Jays to trade Revere somewhere else for a starter and then come to the Brewers with Pentecost+ to try and nab Khris Davis.

I really don't see why the Brewers should be targeting Revere.

It would make more sense for the Jays to trade Revere somewhere else for a starter and then come to the Brewers with Pentecost+ to try and nab Khris Davis.

-The only reason they should be interested is to fill CF for this season or at least the start of the season while a guy like Phillips gets more ready and then you flip Revere for another prospect.

-Your second part makes sense as well. I could see something like that playing out. Would they want another HR basher? Maybe not but it seemed to work well for them last year and it was pretty electric in Toronto.

I don't think the Brewers are as sold on Santana as you think. Remember Stearns was on the Astros payroll when they dealt Santana away.

He also traded away Phillips and Hader, is he not high on them as well? I don't think this is a strong argument for trading away someone. Houston was in a position to make a dent in the playoffs or at least make them and they had to give up quality prospects to obtain a guy like Gomez and Fiers. I think it is that simple.

A second point is how could he not be in love with a 22 year old, corner OF that bashes the ball around the ball park and WALKS, a TON. How could he not like that? Not only that but he played centerfield for us, a position he is not fond of, and played it pretty solidly.

I know Garza holds very little or no trade value so what if we offered Peralta and Davis for Revere, Pentecost and Nay? Seems like a fair trade for both parties.

Solid trade.

Depends if the Blue Jays want Peralta to be in their rotation. Stroman, Dickey, Estrada (nearing a deal) are locks. I'd imagine they were planning on Hutchison and Sanchez (maybe?) as their 4/5. Depends on if they think Peralta is better than those 2, if they want depth, or if they wanted to go more "high end" than Peralta.

I know Garza holds very little or no trade value so what if we offered Peralta and Davis for Revere, Pentecost and Nay? Seems like a fair trade for both parties.

Way too much control to be giving away to only get that package. Pentecost is a solid prospect, Nay is an ok prospect, and Revere has so-so value. Pentecost as the headliner is good, but I want more impact talent too. At least another one of their top prospects. Then preferably no Ben Revere.

I have no idea why the Brewers would want Revere. He offers nothing for the organization in its current state. And then to give them Smith too. That just seems like a poor use of resources.

Thank you. Exactly. Why would the Brewers want Ben Revere for 2 years of rebuilding? Is this mostly about getting rid of Garza? I suppose if there was an additional trade of Davis or Braun maybe?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

How about Davis and Smith for Pentecost, Hollon and Nay? We add two prospects who play positions of need in our system and a high ceiling arm who is coming back from a suspension for PED use while Toronto gets a starting LF and late innings lefty who both are making the minimum and have 4 years of team control. Seems like a solid deal for both sides.

Don't think we even match with Toronto. Their farm system is depleted and they already have Revere with Saunders coming back next year to fill in in LF so it's not like they're going to be out pursuing an upgrade over pitching or anything.

Don't think we even match with Toronto. Their farm system is depleted and they already have Revere with Saunders coming back next year to fill in in LF so it's not like they're going to be out pursuing an upgrade over pitching or anything.

From what I hear, they are looking to flip Revere for a starting pitcher and find an everyday LF. If Revere is indeed traded for a pitcher then Davis and Smith become very attractive pieces to their roster. Also, Toronto's bullpen could use another lefty to solidify the bullpen. Would you prefer a package of Harris, Pentecost and Burns instead?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From what I hear, they are looking to flip Revere for a starting pitcher and find an everyday LF. If Revere is indeed traded for a pitcher then Davis and Smith become very attractive pieces to their roster. Also, Toronto's bullpen could use another lefty to solidify the bullpen. Would you prefer a package of Harris, Pentecost and Burns instead?

Toronto really drained the farm system. The guys I wanted - Norris and Hoffman - are gone. Harris is good - I'd take him in a heartbeat - but at this time, he's not an elite guy (the potential is there, however).

Pentecost has been sidelined for over a year - I like him, but I'd want to make sure he's healthy and able to catch (if he can't catch his value really drops). Burns is projects to be more of a utility infielder than a regular. Personally, I don't want to have anything to do with Revere - let's develop our own players instead of adding mediocre veterans who won't be around in two years.

Archived