Brewer Fanatic

Jhoulys Chacin

Recently let go by Arizona despite pitching pretty well in 26 inning trial for them last season and not doing badly in hitter friendly Reno. Is ideal kind of guy to pick up and maybe he'll build some value. Turns 28 in January.

Yes Brewers have a lot of young arms, but if they aren't going anywhere in 2016, find a filler or two who still has upside and see if you can create some trade value for midseason.

Recently let go by Arizona despite pitching pretty well in 26 inning trial for them last season and not doing badly in hitter friendly Reno. Is ideal kind of guy to pick up and maybe he'll build some value. Turns 28 in January.

Yes Brewers have a lot of young arms, but if they aren't going anywhere in 2016, find a filler or two who still has upside and see if you can create some trade value for midseason.

I would normally say, sure keep our young pitching in AAA and don't let the arby clock start ticking. However, AAA is in Colorado and I don't want those arms to have to deal with that any more than they have to. So, since we have enough guys that could potentially be starting in 2016 in the bigs, I don't know that I would go out to pick up any more, unless the scouting dept really is pushing them. So I guess I only see picking up an arm if Garza is traded, and if he isn't, then he is the guy you are hoping is decent enough to flip for a prospect.

Taking fliers on pitchers like Chacin is a luxury we have as a non-contender in 2016. If he's good, we trade him for more prospects. If he's bad, who cares. The Cubs did exactly this in recent years and it worked out very well.

Taking fliers on pitchers like Chacin is a luxury we have as a non-contender in 2016. If he's good, we trade him for more prospects. If he's bad, who cares. The Cubs did exactly this in recent years and it worked out very well.

They did but who is there to bump out of our rotation? Peralta won't, Nelson is a no, and hard time seeing Jungmann get the boot. I highly doubt they don't give Garza a spot back. Matt Garza is a nice bounce back candidate himself. So if we are talking bounce back players he should be in the rotation for that reason. There is that last spot...you could send Davies back down because he is so young, but he was decent in his 6 starts last year. I wouldn't be opposed to sending Davies down to test out Chacin, but then again it would be nice for Davies to get some starts. We should let Jungmann and Davies get a big workload to see if either is going to stick long term. Because Jorge Lopez is knocking on the door waiting for a chance too, though I think he could use more time.

The luxury the Cubs had was the fact they didn't have many starting pitcher type prospects in their system at the time. The Brewers rotation is so young from top to bottom it is hard to bump someone out for a project or to trade any of them.

They did but who is there to bump out of our rotation? Peralta won't, Nelson is a no, and hard time seeing Jungmann get the boot. I highly doubt they don't give Garza a spot back. Matt Garza is a nice bounce back candidate himself. So if we are talking bounce back players he should be in the rotation for that reason. There is that last spot...you could send Davies back down because he is so young, but he was decent in his 6 starts last year. I wouldn't be opposed to sending Davies down to test out Chacin, but then again it would be nice for Davies to get some starts. We should let Jungmann and Davies get a big workload to see if either is going to stick long term. Because Jorge Lopez is knocking on the door waiting for a chance too, though I think he could use more time.

The luxury the Cubs had was the fact they didn't have many starting pitcher type prospects in their system at the time. The Brewers rotation is so young from top to bottom it is hard to bump someone out for a project or to trade any of them.

One of those guys will get hurt. How often do your 5 starters get through Spring Training 100% healthy?

Garza bounces back to what, the very average pitcher he was in 2014? That still won't have value in the trade market with his contract. That's why I'd either stick him in the pen or just dump him and eat the rest. Chacin is a guy sitting out there who in 2013 posted a 3.47 ERA in Colorado. He wasn't bad last year either in Reno, another hitters paradise or in 4 starts for the D-Backs. If there ever was a guy out there sitting on a comeback it's a 28 year old Chacin and he could be available for a bargain price.

Let Lopez develop in minors until August and save some service time. Jungmann has options and it's no sure thing he doesn't regress and need to be optioned too. Davies is another guy who looked good in small sample and may be ready, with the emphasis on "may". Regardless, he has options too and if the team is as bad as some think it could be, does it help young pitchers to be in that losing environment?

One of those guys will get hurt. How often do your 5 starters get through Spring Training 100% healthy?

I completely agree with this statement. Adding another bounce back candidate will not prevent our younger pitchers from having opportunities to pitch. If anything, it might prolong their free agency by another year which could extend their competitive window by another year.

I am going off the assumption that we would have to put him on the MLB team out of spring training to keep him. We have so many young pitchers for him to compete with and if he goes to the minors he has to pitch in Colorado. I would think he would pack up and go elsewhere if he isn't one of our 5 starters.

I am all for bringing him in for spring training if he wants to try and hope for injuries etc., but as it stands right now there isn't a whole lot of room for a a guy like Chacin on this team.

You are also underrating the value of Garza bouncing back. If he puts up sub 4ERA numbers the Brewers would have a chance to trade all or most of his salary. Teams pay a lot of money for average pitchers these days and they are always in demand.

Adding to the above thoughts, you can give guys innings/a tryout in the middle innings. Let some of your assumed lower tier prospects throw the 4th-8th if Garza gets rocked.

I'm not so tied to Peralta anymore. He doesn't seem like he's going to be a higher-end rotation guy. As soon as he starts pitching well (unless he magically starts throwing like an ace and it somehow seems sustainable - yes, basically not going to happen), he should be dealt, freeing up a spot.

With the current Brewer payroll projected under $70 I just don't see a downside for letting Garza walk and bringing in a lower priced guy with some upside and trade value in Chacin to replace him. Garza was signed to be a piece of a rotation that was being built to contend and because the system lacked major league ready arms. The contending plan went out the window about May 1st of last year and now there certainly a number of arms contending for spots in the rotation. Garza sticks out like a sore thumb and even if he returns to mediocre form, it's going to take the Brewers kicking in most of his remaining deal, just to unload him for some nondescript minor leaguer somewhere. Whereas if a Chacin returned to his 2013 form, they will be deluged with offers for him come July if his deal is modest.

Why not both Garza and Chacin? Let Chacin start out of middle relief.

4 reasons (at least) not to dump Garza yet:

1. Garza has once been valuable enough to sign a $50 million dollar deal. Maybe he gets back there and can be dealt.

2. The Brewers don't have a ton of high upside players ready to start in the majors right now. While I'd like to give a handful a try, I'm not in a rush to see Wagner, Cravy, even Jungmann, maybe Davies go. Jungmann is a fringe MLB guy, Davies is hopefully a long-term #4/#5, Cravy/Wagner are probably not MLB guys. Lopez I'd like to see, but there will be plenty of injuries and openings for him (see below). We'll also be making trades. The first sign of Peralta pitching well means he should be dealt away.

3. No need to tax the young pitchers in the majors. Garza is an extra arm to cover some MLB time (Chacin can fit in as well). Somebody is going to be a horrendous failure. If so, Garza is another "buy low" target already on the team to try to eat innings. Also, this keeps guys that we may think are future pieces hitting arbitration earlier.

4. If Garza is a horrendous, it helps our draft pick. Then you cut him next year.

You will never have Chacin of 2013. He doesn't have the velocity he had then and that is why his stats went wack. Just because he is young doesn't make him a good rebound candidate. Since 2013 he has only averaged 90mph one time on his fastball and most starts he was hanging around 88mph. He isn't a guy who depends on the fastball, but he still through it the most or close to it so it isn't like we can ignore it. He needs to figure out how to be crafty or he won't find success again. Can the Brewers teach him that? Who knows?

Also Jhoulys Chacin isn't going to want to come here and pitch middle relief. There are teams that offer a better opportunity than here. We have a lot of starters and a lot of young ones at that. If he is going to take a minor league deal he can find a team that he might have a chance with. Not saying he wouldn't have one here, but I think he could find a better spot.

I agree with almost your entire post...I do think he may come in and pitch long relief here. His stock is that low and there are only so many SP openings around the league. That said, you can put him at #5 if you're dying for a reclamation project and just leave someone in the minors or mid relief until injury occurs.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived