Brewer Fanatic

Braun to Tigers?

Luke99

Detroit is reportedly looking to acquire right handed power preferably in the OF.

They can afford his contract. They are the type of win now team that may be willing to take a shot on him.

Braun for Derek Hill (Speedy CF, few years off) Jairo Labourt (been a big fan of his for a while now, big LHP), Zach Shepard (3B with very good upside), Sandy Baez (projectable RHP)

Gets us out of Braun and his contract. Opens up RF for Santana and adds more upside talent to the stacked system. With his contract I don't see us getting a premium prospect for Braun, so I figured 4 guys who have the tools to be comers as they progress was a better way to go

You could eat some money and still probably have a hard time finding a taker. His injury concerns are a big issue. Add that to his age and the negative stigma attached to him how cheap must he be to take that risk? You could get a solid 4.5 WAR player, but the risk is really high.

If we start eating $20mil+ though we better be getting way better prospects back.

If he didn't have that injury toward the end of the year I think it would be much easier to move him. If the Brewers take on $20 million his average salary is around the same as the qualifying offer, of course the years are still an issue. If he has a good first half I think they might get some offers. The Tigers already got burned by one former Brewers with a big contract and their prospects are not that great so I don't know if there is a fit here.

Oh geez lets not forget Braun now has a full(or nearly full?) no trade clause. Who knows what it would take for him to waive that. Nothing? $5mil? 2021 option exercised?

Throw another obstacle into the equation.

I don't think it would be a huge obstacle. He can either stay in Milwaukee and lose for the next 3 years or so or go to a competitive team while he's still a productive player.

Oh geez lets not forget Braun now has a full(or nearly full?) no trade clause. Who knows what it would take for him to waive that. Nothing? $5mil? 2021 option exercised?

Throw another obstacle into the equation.

I don't think it would be a huge obstacle. He can either stay in Milwaukee and lose for the next 3 years or so or go to a competitive team while he's still a productive player.

Well it is a huge issue if he isn't dying to get out. If he doesn't really care to leave and what not it becomes a major problem. I wouldn't be surprised if he flat out rejects waiving it and I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted the 2021 option picked up which would surely kill any trade offer.

Yes please on trading Braun

It certainly seems like he likes Milwaukee and wouldn't waive his No Trade to just anybody

What we don't know is how important winning is to him (i.e. does he want to stick around through the rebuild)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yes please on trading Braun

It certainly seems like he likes Milwaukee and wouldn't waive his No Trade to just anybody

What we don't know is how important winning is to him (i.e. does he want to stick around through the rebuild)

I think winning is really important to him as it is to most athletes, so my guess if if Stearms came to him saying X contender made a trade offer, Braun would waive his no-trade clause unless if maybe it was in a city that he/his wife just didn't want to live in for whatever reason.

Well I have heard him say countless times how great Milwaukee is and he did take two team friendly deals. I mean sure he was probably cheating at the time and probably skittish about getting caught, but hey he still signed them. Braun is such a mystery I don't even know what to think. The guy is a professional liar so who know if he loves Milwaukee or hates it with a passion.

And not that Braun doesn't like winning, but he seems to me to be a guy who doesn't care about losing as long as he gets to collect his paycheck. He isn't calling us garbage to the media like Lucroy saying he wants to contend.

I just get the sense that Braun would much rather prefer to just suck in Milwaukee where he is comfortable. The only place that will embrace him despite what he has done. Go somewhere else and his own fans will boo him(not all, but a reasonable number would) and it would just kick up the PED saga. To what degree I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...
If the Orioles swing and miss on Chris Davis, still wonder if they'd have interest in Braun. Apart from a few guys they apparently won't trade (Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Givens) and a few injury concerns (Harvey, Bundy), they don't have much in the terms of young talent, but they are short on outfielders and could at least theoretically afford most of Braun's contract if they don't get Davis.

If the Orioles swing and miss on Chris Davis, still wonder if they'd have interest in Braun. Apart from a few guys they apparently won't trade (Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Givens) and a few injury concerns (Harvey, Bundy), they don't have much in the terms of young talent, but they are short on outfielders and could at least theoretically afford most of Braun's contract if they don't get Davis.

If they miss out on Davis I would think they would have more interest in Lind or Khris Davis than they would in Braun.

Realistically I think there is only a few teams that Braun is going to accept a trade to and that would be a team like the Dodgers or the Angels. Plus if the Brewers trade Braun I don't see many teams giving up much to get Braun and the Brewers are going to take on a hefty chunk of his contract. I think the best option for the Brewers is just to hang onto Braun and ride it out as I just don't see the Brewers getting back the talent needed to be taking on a majority of Braun's contract.

yawn...Braun is going nowhere.

While I agree at this point in time, if Braun proves to be healthy and the Tigers need a bat half-way through the season I could see Detroit pulling the trigger to get them over the hump. Their owner has said on multiple occasions that money is not an issue, but if it is we can afford to pay some of Braun's salary. Hell, I would pay his whole salary this year and half next year to get some decent prospects and get out from under the contract. If the Tigers are playing well, I'm not sure why Braun would say no.

Braun and $20 mil for Fullmer and a high upside lower minors guy

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Archived