Brewer Fanatic

Andrelton Simmons, Joe Briceno to Angels; Erick Aybar, Sean Newcomb, Chris Ellis to Braves

jerichoholicninja

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I like Newcomb a lot. I wanted Milwaukee to get him a couple of years ago in the draft - even proposed we try and trade for him in the past. I don't know if he can be a #1 type, but he could be a #2.

Newcomb ranked 19, 32 and 37 on MLB Pipeline, Sickels and BA, respectively, on the mid-season reports. He's probably a little higher as some guys have graduated since then.

I think he's the kind of guy that would headline a trade for Lucroy.

I think he's the kind of guy that would headline a trade for Lucroy.

Well, the Braves are looking for a long term solution at catcher... just sayin'.

hmm....

Newcomb, mabye Christian Betancourt. I really like Allard. Braves coud use a young OF as well. Something could match up....

I want to point out that as much as I like Newcomb, giving up Simmons is tough. Even with mediocre hitting, he's still a 4.0 WAR type player. He is under contract for five more seasons for about $10M a year average. That's a pretty good deal for a 4.0 WAR player.

Simmons just turned 26 two months ago, so the Angels get him in his prime (although some writers have noted that shortstops tend to peak defensively at a young age). Even if he fades a bit each year, he's still should be an elite defender. A defender who makes the entire team better. And perhaps the Angels can help him improve his hitting.

In the end, the Angels got the 'safe' player in Simmons. Plus, they want to contend now. Newcomb is probably at least a year or two away - and no guareentee.

I think this trade signals that the Braves are prepping for 2017 or 2018 and I doubt Lucroy fits into those plans anymore.

Aybar has been a 3.5-4 WAR guy a lot (and recently). I'm not sure Simmons could have a better defensive season than this one, so maybe his stock was at its highest. Aybar is only around for 1 more year, but they could flip him at the deadline if they so choose for more value or they could sign him to continue along as a stopgap until Ozhaino Albies is ready.

The Braves also have an elite 18-year-old prospect at SS (Ozhaino Albies), mentioned above. I like this trade on their side. Not that the Angels completely failed on it, but the Braves will have an ace-caliber pitcher for 6 years, their young SS, and maybe Ellis all for 6 years starting around 2018 when they want to be good again.

Yes, like explained above that this trade may just be very beneficial to both ball clubs.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Aybar has been a 3.5-4 WAR guy a lot (and recently).

Aybar has a 1.0 fWAR last season. 4.3 in 2014, and 1.5 in 2013. Upper 3.0s before that. Really inconsistent player in that regard. Last year was his worst OBP of his career, second worst batting average, second worst walk rate, second worst slugging %. Any semblance of power seems to be fading.

He'll be 32 in January - a lot of red flags that he's on the decline. Perhaps he had some injury issues (but he's been very healthy over the years).

Is this a better package than the Brewers got for Gomez?

I don't think so. While Phillips and Newcomb are probably similar in prospect rankings, pitchers seem to have a bit more value. But we added Santana in our deal, a Top 100 guy (granted, a guy around 80-90 on the lists). Plus two interesting pitching prospects. Braves only got one interesting pitching prospect.

I guess a lot depends on Aybar. Is he the 4 WAR player of 2014 or the 1 WAR player of 2015? I think he is on the decline, so I don't see a lot of value, but they certainly can flip him for something. Just depends on what.

Newcomb is the big chit. Young, top 20-30 pitching doesn't get traded that often.

Is this a better package than the Brewers got for Gomez?

I don't think so. While Phillips and Newcomb are probably similar in prospect rankings, pitchers seem to have a bit more value. But we added Santana in our deal, a Top 100 guy (granted, a guy around 80-90 on the lists). Plus two interesting pitching prospects. Braves only got one interesting pitching prospect.

I guess a lot depends on Aybar. Is he the 4 WAR player of 2014 or the 1 WAR player of 2015? I think he is on the decline, so I don't see a lot of value, but they certainly can flip him for something. Just depends on what.

Newcomb is the big chit. Young, top 20-30 pitching doesn't get traded that often.

That's sort of what I was thinking. The Braves got one big time prospect and then a bunch of meh's for 5 years of a player in his prime signed to a reasonable deal. The Brewers got one big time prospect and a bunch of interesting guys for 1.5 years of a leaving his prime Carlos Gomez and a decent ML pitcher.

Washington Post doesn't like it from the Braves' standpoint:

So the gold, for the Braves, must lie in the pitching prospects. And the concern about Newcomb is obvious: In 150-1/3 professional innings, he has 82 walks. (Even in college, at the University of Hartford, he walked 75 in 165 innings.)

One scout’s evaluation: “Newcomb will always be a high-pitch-count starter who will end up in the pen because he doesn’t throw quality strikes even though he can touch 96 [mph] and he’s left-handed.”

This, then, would not be the kind of player for which you part with Andrelton Simmons.

Disclaimer: Braves are in the Nationals' division

link to whole article

Brewers trade with Houston still top this but won't know for sure for 3 years.

Phillips will be at least a Bret Gardner and sit has a .260/.340/.390 .730 OPS range giving 20 SB's, 10-15 HRs and 50-60 RBI from the top of the order. (NOT HIS CEILING an AT LEAST)

Domingo Santana I see a lot of Cory Hart in him and think he will at least hit 20-30HRs with 80-100 middle of the order RBIs. Average out to be a .260/.350/.475 .825 OPS player.

Hader alone will top Newcomb. I personally think he is one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball. Hopefully AFL is opening some eyes. Newcomb as shown zero ability to be around the strike zone as of yet. Until he becomes a pitcher instead of a thrower, I don't think we are missing much with Sean.

Houser......rate him where you will, all he does is throw hard and produce. Really depending on how much he starts to miss bats he could be a Jimmy Nelson 2.0 or a Wily Peralta/Jungmann 2.0. Big body, heavy power arm, ground ball machine. At worse he is a work horse out of the pen

The overall trade I think is great for Braves. They have no interest in winning right now any only care about bringing in young arms to recreate their 1990s rotation. They get two pretty good ones who if pan out will be a good complement with what they already have. Angels give up a lot. Their system doesn't have much left at all but they get a younger gold-glove SS entering his offensive prime with 5 years at a good healthy salary. For the Angels an outstanding player for only 10 million a year is a relief for them....Good trade for both of them. I think that sets the bar pretty well for Lucroy. Simmons like Lucroy had a down year.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Simmons in the 2nd Half of 2015 hit .283/.336

It is funny the perceptions we have of hitters these days that are often skewed by the extreme pitcher's era that we are in.

Neutralize Simmon's stats to a hitting era like the 2000 AL or 1936 AL and Simmons is a career .295/.347 hitter who is just coming off of a .309/.369 season

I sincerely think he is one the greatest SS talents of All-Time

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

As a 23 year old, Simmons socked 54 XBH to go along with his unbelievable defense, and had a 7.0 WAR that year.

His power numbers have just dropped off the face of the earth, almost to Segura like levels. His superb defense still make him an obvious plus, but it's a shame that his offensive game took that big step backwards instead of forward like it looked like it could.

As a 23 year old, Simmons socked 54 XBH to go along with his unbelievable defense, and had a 7.0 WAR that year.

His power numbers have just dropped off the face of the earth, almost to Segura like levels. His superb defense still make him an obvious plus, but it's a shame that his offensive game took that big step backwards instead of forward like it looked like it could.

I think the Angels will get him turned around. He'll now be surrounded by Trout, Pujols, Calhoun and others day in & day out plus a great hitting coach and a very strong overall hitting environment.

I think of this as a huge trade for the Angels. If they can bring in free agent pitching they should be a postseason team

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived