Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals Lance Lynn to miss 2016 with Tommy John surgery

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cardinals have lost starting pitcher Lance Lynn for 2016. He had Tommy John surgery.

Losing Lynn will be a big blow to the Cards. He averaged 15 wins per year over the last four years, and nearly 200 IP a season. He had 3.5 and 3.7 bWAR the last couple of seasons.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/lance-lynn-tommy-john-surgery-cardinals.html

Between Wacha's worrisome finish, Martinez's bum shoulder, Jaime Garcia perpetually being a china doll, and Wainwright being rushed back; the Cardinals have a very volatile rotation next year. Very talented, but things could go south in a hurry for a team that scored less runs than the Brewers last year. I doubt anyone will predict doom and gloom for St. Louis but they have to be some nervousness.

From a Cardinal perspective, its good to know now where they have a whole offseason to acquire depth, but paying FA market rate to bring back John Lackey isn't how St. Louis has operated in the past. Lyons and Gonzales aren't terrible depth, but if they weren't St. Louis no one would be predicting a sub-3 era from the rotation again.

Between Wacha's worrisome finish, Martinez's bum shoulder, Jaime Garcia perpetually being a china doll, and Wainwright being rushed back; the Cardinals have a very volatile rotation next year. Very talented, but things could go south in a hurry for a team that scored less runs than the Brewers last year. I doubt anyone will predict doom and gloom for St. Louis but they have to be some nervousness.

From a Cardinal perspective, its good to know now where they have a whole offseason to acquire depth, but paying FA market rate to bring back John Lackey isn't how St. Louis has operated in the past. Lyons and Gonzales aren't terrible depth, but if they weren't St. Louis no one would be predicting a sub-3 era from the rotation again.

I believe I saw a quote from Mozeliak saying that they may change it up this year given the Lynn situation. Good news for Price and Greinke.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Now that Yadi, Wainwright and Holliday are on their last legs and with the injury to Lynn and the previously stated semi-meltdown of their pitchers, maybe... just maybe, the reign of the Cardinals is coming to a close? One can only hope. Personally I hope they win 78-80 games for the next 100 years because that is neither good enough to get them top picks nor is it good enough to get them into the playoffs. I banish them to a century of mediocrity! (if only I had such powers)
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Cardinals could find themselves falling behind Pittsburgh and Chicago. Several key guys are getting old, they lack a superstar bat, Heyward and Lackey are free agents, injuries, Reyes pot suspension, etc.

The offense just isn't that good, and Piscotty and Grichuk really overplayed their expectations. Both are going to need to produce again next year.

Of course, you can't count them out. They won 100 games last year - you don't do that on luck. Wainwright is back, so that will help, but the guy is 34 - you can't count on him coming back and being a Cy Young candidate.

I just see a team that is a little worse in just about every way next year. Doesn't mean they'll be bad, but they aren't favorites in many peoples' eyes.

I feel bad for Lynn, but I dont feel bad for the cardinals organization at all.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I saw that one guy the Cards can likely add if he wants to keep playing is Mark Buehrle, who grew up, and lives, close to St. Louis.

It would be a natural fit, and Buehrle probably won't cost more than about $10M or so - and only a one-year commitment. He was still reasonably effective last year - 3.81 ERA.

Again, all of it comes down to if Buehrle, who turns 37 in March, wants to play anymore.

Buehlre was toast at the end of the year. So, he's the perfect fit for St. Louis. He'll have 18 wins and 3 ERA next year.

Only if they still have some of that Mark McGwire "special sauce" around. They may be running low on it by now.....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived