Brewer Fanatic

Hernán Pérez outrighted; declares free agency (Latest: will start 2016 season in minors; post 67)

djoctagone
He's on the 40-man, which means if he's not exclusively on the Brewers' MLB roster (or MLB injured reserve) for the entire year, then it takes using an option to get him to AAA.

… with the caveat that if he spends 20 days or less in the minors, a option isn't used. In that case, he'd receive Major League service time for those days.

... ah, yes, the 20-day caveat we learned quite well through the J.J. Hardy demotion/FA-delaying saga back a few years ago!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No matter how you look at it he has three years to develop before we have to decide if he's MLB ready/capable. Similarly he has three years of cheap, pre-arby years when he reaches the majors. To spend any of those when he isn't ready and isn't needed is not a wise way to use a potentially useful player.

Sure it is if you don't want to lose the player.

No matter how you look at it he has three years to develop before we have to decide if he's MLB ready/capable. Similarly he has three years of cheap, pre-arby years when he reaches the majors. To spend any of those when he isn't ready and isn't needed is not a wise way to use a potentially useful player.

Sure it is if you don't want to lose the player.

How are we going to lose Rivera if he isn't in the majors next season?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Whew! Now Brewers nation can relax. We have our third basemen back!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

he draws as many walks as two players?

I was going to post a smartass response and name two players with a combined walk total less than Hernán's, but off the top of my head, I couldn't come up with even one player who has walked less. Even Ben Sheets walked at a higher rate than Pérez has.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think Stearns can get somebody as good as and probably better than Perez in the upcoming rule 5 draft. There should be players around 23-25 years old that can play second, short and third like Perez, have limited power like Perez but get on base at a much higher rate.

Sarcasm aside, he's the best option they have right now. I'd take him over Herrera or Rivera.

Just curious, but why? I was sarcastic because people were losing their minds over this guy. I'm glad he is back because he is another guy that provides some depth. But I do not think he is anything other than a filler. A guy like Herrera, while not young, gives you a guy that can play all over, hits from both sides, and has had success in a Brewers uniform. Why the hate? He is as much of a filler than Perez, possibly even a better player.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sarcasm aside, he's the best option they have right now. I'd take him over Herrera or Rivera.

Just curious, but why? I was sarcastic because people were losing their minds over this guy. I'm glad he is back because he is another guy that provides some depth. But I do not think he is anything other than a filler. A guy like Herrera, while not young, gives you a guy that can play all over, hits from both sides, and has had success in a Brewers uniform. Why the hate? He is as much of a filler than Perez, possibly even a better player.

Possibly the better player? There is no doubt about it, Herrera is the better player right now. I am glad we got Perez back. Stearns move worked to perfection. He will get to play in the minors, where he belongs, and get a chance to realize his potential. We don't waste a spot on the 40 man roster and we can keep third base open for someone who may be good enough to flip for more prospects later on. Hell if Herrera ends up with the job he may show enough to warrant a marginal prospect on his own. It wouldn't be the first time a team traded for a utility man. Especially one who plays as many positions as Herrera and hits from both sides. A team who is in a pennant race and has a shallow bench might give up a low level prospect for him. Granted he will have to show some improvement but he has gotten better since he has been here so it isn't of the realm of possibility.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 4 months later...
Hmm.. not a shocker to me. Once he was outrighted this offseason the writing was on the wall for him with this organization. I really hope he can figure out the strike zone and become patient. He just flat out needs to get on base more.

Perez just doesn't have any skill that really stands out. He's okay at a lot of things, with no plate discipline. Rivera's just okay at a lot of things as well, but he trumps Perez because of good defense. Perez either needs to get "plus" at one skill, or he needs to get some plate discipline if he ever wants to stick at the MLB level.

When you have poor defense across the MLB infield, having a plus defender on the bench in Rivera is nice, as is having a guy who will give you a solid PA late in games like Walsh should. The only reason I could see for keeping Perez would have been if they wanted Rivera starting everyday in AAA. I think Rivera's long-term outlook seems to be as a defense-first utility guy, so it makes sense to use him in that role now.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived