Brewer Fanatic

Lind, Lucroy, K-Rod available (as per Olney)

Tyler Flowers stats look like Maldonado's if he were to play full seasons. Maybe a slight uptick.

Flowers has a larger sample size and has outslugged Maldonado 376 to .338. There's really no way of knowing what Maldonado would do with 400 AB's.

Point is if either Maldonado or Flowers is your main guy, you are in trouble, but no way should the Brewers just elevate Maldonado to an everyday player. They'd be better off having another veteran share the job if not be the nominal starter. He's not shown enough to deserve that even on a rebuilding club. Flowers has handled some pretty stout starting pitching for White Sox and he's got some power.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am intrigued with the possibility of the Rangers as a trade partner for Lucroy. Even after the Hamels trade they have some very good prospects.

Lets assume the Rangers said that Joey Gallo and Nomar Mazara were off the table. If they offered the option to pick one player from each of the pools listed below, are there any combinations that you would be interested in for Lucroy?

Pool #1: Jurickson Profar, Lewis Brinson, Luis Ortiz, Dillon Tate

Pool #2: Luke Jackson, Ryan Cordell, Michael Matuella, Yohander Mendez

I would have a hard time deciding among Pool #1, it would probably come down to Profar or Ortiz for me. In Pool #2, I don't know who I would pick. I would be curious in Cordell depending on his likelihood to be able to transition to 3B full-time (early indications weren't great). While trading for a player recovering from Tommy John isn't overly appealing, Matuella could have the highest upside of any player in the pool.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I am intrigued with the possibility of the Rangers as a trade partner for Lucroy. Even after the Hamels trade they have some very good prospects.

Lets assume the Rangers said that Joey Gallo and Nomar Mazara were off the table. If they offered the option to pick one player from each of the pools listed below, are there any combinations that you would be interested in for Lucroy?

Pool #1: Jurickson Profar, Lewis Brinson, Luis Ortiz, Dillon Tate

Pool #2: Luke Jackson, Ryan Cordell, Michael Matuella, Yohander Mendez

I would have a hard time deciding among Pool #1, it would probably come down to Profar or Ortiz for me. In Pool #2, I don't know who I would pick. I would be curious in Cordell depending on his likelihood to be able to transition to 3B full-time (early indications weren't great). While trading for a player recovering from Tommy John isn't overly appealing, Matuella could have the highest upside of any player in the pool.

I wouldn't trade Lucroy unless they got two of the players from Pool 1 in return. Especially if you're going to avoid Gallo and Mazaro then you should have that option. It would be nice to have a 3rd pick be from pool #2 and I'd be willing to include a reliever like Smith to make that happen.

@WiscoSportsNut

We'd be lucky to have Ortiz or Tate offered for Lucroy. Those two have the highest ceilings of any on those lists. I remember Jackson having some star rising as a prospect but the shine is fading. There's more needed I'm just not enjoying the other options. I'd rather make the trade mid-season and see how Jackson/Cordell do. And then maybe pick from one of them. I'd look to find a way to add both Ortiz and Tate to the team's minors. That would include offering one of Santana, K-Davis, Nelson, Peralta, Jungmann, Davies, Smith, or Jeffress.

Tate honestly if probably more off limits than Gallo or Mazara.

We'd be lucky to have Ortiz or Tate offered for Lucroy. Those two have the highest ceilings of any on those lists. I remember Jackson having some star rising as a prospect but the shine is fading. There's more needed I'm just not enjoying the other options. I'd rather make the trade mid-season and see how Jackson/Cordell do. And then maybe pick from one of them. I'd look to find a way to add both Ortiz and Tate to the team's minors. That would include offering one of Santana, K-Davis, Nelson, Peralta, Jungmann, Davies, Smith, or Jeffress.

Tate honestly if probably more off limits than Gallo or Mazara.

Tate, Ortiz and Kivlehan for Lucroy and Smith is a fair trade for both sides.

DBacks: Package involving Aaron Blair, Jake Lamb?

Rangers: Package involving Gallo, Rodriguez

If I am trading with the Dbacks I would want Drury over Lamb. Drury doesn't offer much power but he is very similar to a former Brewer in Cirillo. He won't hit a lot of home runs but he should hit plenty of doubles and carry a high average and high OBP. He does also have some roster flexibility as he can also play 2B though I would prefer to see him at 3B reports have him as an average to above average 3B.

You can expect Drury to put up a line of .300/.330/.400. With that slash line and lets say an average defense at 3B that would put him between Kyle Seager and Daniel Murphy last year in terms of WAR so somewhere between 2.5 and 3.9 WAR.

For Lucroy I think a fair trade for both the Dbacks and the Brewers would be something like this:

Brandon Drury (3B, 2B), Cody Reed (LHP), and Victor Reyes (OF) or Stryker Trahan (C, OF, 1B?)

Two solid prospects in Drury and Reed. I would take Reyes over Trahan as Reyes has a better floor than Trahan does. Trahan has more of a ceiling with his power potential and if he can stick at catcher but if he can't stick at catcher and he doesn't hit as much you are looking at a Trumbo like player.

You guys are coming up with some awful packages...How do you even come up with a package for Lucroy and not include any of a teams Top 5 prospects?

Lucroy would never go to the D Backs without Bradley coming back and even then I am not sure the Brewers would entertain the Brewers. Trading Lucroy better get you one big time prospect to wave around.

You guys are coming up with some awful packages...How do you even come up with a package for Lucroy and not include any of a teams Top 5 prospects?

Lucroy would never go to the D Backs without Bradley coming back and even then I am not sure the Brewers would entertain the Brewers. Trading Lucroy better get you one big time prospect to wave around.

Could not agree more. Happy its not just me that thinks half of these packages are no where near good enough for Lucroy. Maybe I'm too high on him, but looking at the market for catchers and how cheap he is, I would be livid if we didn't get much more than some of these packages.

Edit - I'd like to add we got Phillips as the center piece for the Gomez trade as reference. I would imagine we should be able to get a similar ranked prospect (20-30) at the very least, as center piece for Lucroy

PS. Long time lurker, first time poster. Good to be here!

Could not agree more. Happy its not just me that thinks half of these packages are no where near good enough for Lucroy. Maybe I'm too high on him, but looking at the market for catchers and how cheap he is, I would be livid if we didn't get much more than some of these packages.

Edit - I'd like to add we got Phillips as the center piece for the Gomez trade as reference. I would imagine we should be able to get a similar ranked prospect (20-30) at the very least, as center piece for Lucroy

PS. Long time lurker, first time poster. Good to be here!

Well essentially it was Santana, Hader, Houser for Gomez, Astros wouldn't include Phillips until Fiers was offered.

Overall like I said before and others have said....I don't get why we want to trade one of the top catchers in baseball who makes no money at all over the next three years for some replacement level guys. Reed has a lot of upside but not a centerpiece. Drury is no where close to being a centerpiece. Maybe a 2nd piece like Bradley and Drury plus one more low floor, high ceiling guys. If a team isn't going to over pay, wait until All-Star break when they will (assuming he is healthy and playing like Luc plays)

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I agree with you. Trading Lucroy should bring back a similar return to what the Royals got for Zack Greinke.

@WiscoSportsNut

If a team isn't going to over pay, wait until All-Star break when they will (assuming he is healthy and playing like Luc plays)

Catchers tend to not change hands in July. There's a post around here that documents how seldom it's happened.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If a team isn't going to over pay, wait until All-Star break when they will (assuming he is healthy and playing like Luc plays)

Catchers tend to not change hands in July. There's a post around here that documents how seldom it's happened.

This is correct. Catchers dealt over the past five years or so were mostly just salary dumps or back up types. The reason is that most teams are reluctant to incorporate a primary catcher with their staff mid-season. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but it just doesn't happen that often.

Just had an ESPN blast on my phone. Nothing earth shattering but said that Lind is not in teams long term plans and will be moved this week.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just had an ESPN blast on my phone. Nothing earth shattering but said that Lind is not in teams long term plans and will be moved this week.

Heard the source for that update was from a Haudricourt article that just said he was the most likely of any Brewers to be traded at winter meetings. Sounds a bit misleading.

Also rumored the Rangers have inquired about Lucroy.

Interesting trade would be Brinson/Matualla and maybe a lower level player or two depending on the value put on Matuella. Brinson looks like a solid power/speed combo with very good defense in center field. Then take Matuella and bank on him getting healthy and reaching his sky high ceiling. I could see the Rangers doing it because they don't have much of a spot for Brinson and when it comes to Matuella he is farther off with decent injury concern.

Interesting trade would be Brinson/Matualla and maybe a lower level player or two depending on the value put on Matuella. Brinson looks like a solid power/speed combo with very good defense in center field. Then take Matuella and bank on him getting healthy and reaching his sky high ceiling. I could see the Rangers doing it because they don't have much of a spot for Brinson and when it comes to Matuella he is farther off with decent injury concern.

This is such a huge risk to take when dealing a player like Lucroy.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is such a huge risk to take when dealing a player like Lucroy.

Maybe so but what trade isn't? You are taking a huge risk no matter what you do. Brinson looks like a very solid center fielder at worst with the potential to be even better. He has 20/20 potential which hardly exists anymore. Then you have Matuella who has massive potential, but with the injury concerns. Those two alone are tempting. Lucroy was pretty average last year and another year like that and his value is going to plummet. I have a hard time seeing a team offer a can't miss prospect for him so why not take a little extra risk and go Matuella? And heck maybe the Rangers are deperate enough to throw in two lower minor league guys to sweeten the pot. That would be hard to say no to.

Adam McCalvey this morning on the MLB Network speculated that the Brewers are listening to offers on Lucroy but it would take a substantial return for them to trade him, because of his production at a premium position, favorable contract, and veteran leadership with a young pitching staff.

I think it comes down to 2 factors:

1) Are the Brewers truly "all-in" on a rebuild?

and

2) Do the Brewers think they can contend again within the window of Lucroy's contract?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

No details but just saw this on Twitter. Anyone know the Mariners system well?

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal · 18s18 seconds ago

Sources: #Mariners not done. Trying to get Lind from #Brewers.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal · 48s48

Again: #Mariners and #Brewers are in discussions on Lind, per sources.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt · 28s29 seconds ago

I am told Mariners are thin in top-level prospects so will be interesting to see if they have enough to pry Lind away from #Brewers

If they honestly believe #2, especially after they've already made a few other "sell" trades...that's pretty depressing.

It is hard to imagine, since they only have 2 more years of Lucroy, right? And 2017 will be his age 31 season, which is getting up there in age for a Catcher

It seems like a complete no-brainer to trade him this offseason while his value is still high.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived