Brewer Fanatic

Lind, Lucroy, K-Rod available (as per Olney)

Boston could be a potential match for Adam Lind. They're supposedly trying to dump Hanley Ramirez on another team and are kicking the tires on Chris Davis. However, they also want to add a front line starting pitcher which is where Adam Lind would come into play. Lind would only cost them a few prospects and his salary wouldn't prevent them from going after the pitcher that they want.

I don't see the Red Sox as a fit for Lind. With Ortiz already at DH and retiring at the end of the year they really need someone who can be at 1B all year and that kills some of Lind's value. Lind isn't an everyday 1B as he should be platooned at 1B against lefties and he should really be playing as a DH and not a 1B.

I also don't see how the Brewers are able to get away with just getting prospects in that deal the Red Sox are going to be looking at trying to get the Brewers to take on Ramirez.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lind most certainly is an everday 1B. He's not an elite player, but he's quite solid (a sort of slightly-lesser current version of "Matt Stairs, professional hitter" as SportsCenter guys used to refer to him). Yes, his splits could've been better, but he wasn't a disaster vs. LHP, he played in nearly 150 games, and his overall offensive numbers and his defense were quite respectable. It comes across that you're painting him as something like the 2014 version of Lyle Overbay, which he's certainly not.

Besides all that, when post-Epstein (or even over the past 15-20 years) have the Red Sox not gotten hung up on the "name" factor of players? I could see Boston as a decent fit for Lind & Garza, either separately or together. For me the unknown is the quantity/quality of what Boston would have in their system to part with in return, and therefore what other teams, if any, might match up better in terms of netting MIL the best possible return.

Lind and Garza to Boston for whatever you can get back sounds good to me.

I don't think it's wise to package them just to get rid of Garza's salary. Lind has value that would net good talent in return. Milwaukee's payroll is low enough right now (though that could of course change) that I don't think they'd trade off Lind's prospect value for the savings on Garza's salary.

There's a handful of teams that logically could have some interest in Lind because he would represent a modest improvement over what they have. But there's also other guys those teams are looking at like Morneau or Loney. As for teams seeking a DH, throw Pedro Alvarez into the mix.

Teams just don't want to pay a lot in terms of dollars and players for one season of modest improvement at one position.

Teams just don't want to pay a lot in terms of dollars and players for one season of modest improvement at one position.

Well a deep pocket team might just consider it a one year contract with an option for a second year at $15.8M, with no buyout!

If he is injury free and has a good year and the team doesn't have an answer to replace him in 2017, they could buy themselves one more year of good production by putting the qualifying offer on him - knowing it is a little overpay.

If Lind declines for whatever reason (doubtful), that team could end up with a 1st rounder, which will be more than they gave the Brewers for him in the first place.

Lind, Lucroy and Garza for Michael Chavis, Blake Swihart and Henry Owens

Too Much? Too Little?

Interesting trade. Can't see the Sox doing it because Garza was a piece last season, Lind only has a year left, and Lucroy is aging. Swihart and Owens both had decent beginnings to their MLB careers last season and have tremendous upside.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm not sure Boston has much of a fit for Lind, given that Ortiz has one more year at DH and they'll find someone else at 1B out of their swath of MLB caliber bats.

Seems somewhat fair, maybe a bit too much coming in from Boston.

Again, no reason to dump Garza now unless Mark A. really wants to pay back his investment group right now.

Lind, Lucroy and Garza for Michael Chavis, Blake Swihart and Henry Owens

Too Much? Too Little?

If the Red Sox wanted Lucroy and wanted him long term it would be an interesting team. The trade would be a classic big market type kind of move. Spending money on know a and dumping the prospects. The Red Sox would immediately be better and if they went and added their ace in FA(who looks to be David Price) there team would see huge improvements.

I don't know if they would want Garza though and very possible they would just prefer to role with Swihart because he had a nice debut.

I feel like the Brewers could do better, but Swihart/Owens are MLB ready so that is some value in itself.

Lucroy probably makes more sense for a team without an astronomical payroll. A lot of his value is in his extremely modest salary over the next two years.

To me, it would be the opposite. A team with a very high payroll knows they can get a player who they're actually getting good value for and costs peanuts compared to the other players they've signed who are no longer producing commensurate with their salary. Lucroy is the yin to their yang, so-to-speak. If Luc were a FA now, then I'd agree with you that a team with an already ridiculous payroll might be looked to go the cheaper route on a catcher.

That being said, any team can afford his salary so he should be looked at a bargain across the league.

Lucroy probably makes more sense for a team without an astronomical payroll. A lot of his value is in his extremely modest salary over the next two years.

To me, it would be the opposite. A team with a very high payroll knows they can get a player who they're actually getting good value for and costs peanuts compared to the other players they've signed who are no longer producing commensurate with their salary. Lucroy is the yin to their yang, so-to-speak. If Luc were a FA now, then I'd agree with you that a team with an already ridiculous payroll might be looked to go the cheaper route on a catcher.

That being said, any team can afford his salary so he should be looked at a bargain across the league.

I agree...Lucroy has value to the Red Sox because his cheap salary would give great value while staying under the luxury tax. That or close to the luxury tax. I am not sure exactly where they stack up in that regard.

I don't think it is a fit, but his salary is still attractive to them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sounds like the catcher's market is horrible this year also. And what was there, is now signed and gone with Wieters, Soto, and Iannetta signing. Yes, the second and third best catchers in FA were backups...

Chris Cwikseems to think the Brewers could get a haul for Lucroy.

The problem with that is there just aren't many teams overflowing with catching talent right now. The Milwaukee Brewers are rumored to be entertaining offers for Jonathan Lucroy, but that's about it. And, given Lucroy's upside, the Brewers should ask for a ton.

I only see a couple of target teams for Lucroy at this point. Immediately tossing out all of the central teams as I don't see it probably whatsoever that Lucroy would be dealt in the division, the Angels, White Sox, Diamondbacks, and Rangers would all see an upgrade with him behind the dish.

Other teams may receive an upgrade with Lucroy but have more entrenched catchers at this point who the systems seem committed to. If you notice any I'm forgetting let me know.

I don't see the Angels with the right prospects or starting pitching to obtain Lucroy, and I'm really not sure what mode the White Sox are in. The D'Backs and the Rangers seem like the best candidates to me at this moment. The Mariners seemed like an appropriate fit before they signed Iannetta.

If you play along with the D'Backs or Rangers what get's it done for you?

DBacks: Package involving Aaron Blair, Jake Lamb?

Rangers: Package involving Gallo, Rodriguez

I only see a couple of target teams for Lucroy at this point. Immediately tossing out all of the central teams as I don't see it probably whatsoever that Lucroy would be dealt in the division, the Angels, White Sox, Diamondbacks, and Rangers would all see an upgrade with him behind the dish.

Other teams may receive an upgrade with Lucroy but have more entrenched catchers at this point who the systems seem committed to. If you notice any I'm forgetting let me know.

I don't see the Angels with the right prospects or starting pitching to obtain Lucroy, and I'm really not sure what mode the White Sox are in. The D'Backs and the Rangers seem like the best candidates to me at this moment. The Mariners seemed like an appropriate fit before they signed Iannetta.

If you play along with the D'Backs or Rangers what get's it done for you?

DBacks: Package involving Aaron Blair, Jake Lamb?

Rangers: Package involving Gallo, Rodriguez

Both of those packages are intriguing. Although I still feel the White Sox are in win now mode and would be willing to part with Fulmer, Michalczewski and Alfaro for Lucroy. The top two prospects are pretty well known but my feeling is Alfaro could be a diamond in the rough. He is currently ranked 18th in the White Sox system but I feel he could wind up being an above average MLB catcher.

The Sox just don't have a need right now at C or 1B. Swihart looked good in the 2nd half last year and too many MLB-caliber bats to not have to push one of them to 1B.

They actually have a pretty solid catching core with Hannigan, Swihart and the defensive wiz in Christian Vasquez.

I do know my brother would love the Brewers to get their hands on Swihart since he coached him in high school but I just don't see it being realistic. One can hope though.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Tyler Flowers stats look like Maldonado's if he were to play full seasons. Maybe a slight uptick.

Archived