Brewer Fanatic

Lind, Lucroy, K-Rod available (as per Olney)

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not earth shattering news from Ken Rosenthal's twitter

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Lind could be next #Brewers player to go. “Lots of activity on him,” one source says. Appeals to AL clubs as DH; .883 OPS vs. RHPs in 2015

What middle infielders are out there to be had?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Still in love with the idea of trading Lucroy & Peralta/Smith to Rangers for a Profar, Gallo, and 1 to 2 lower lever upside prospects. Rangers are team most in contention who needs a catcher BAD. Gallo & Profar don't have opening day spots as starters as of right now. Profar looked really good in AFL.

Pipe Dream I know but always hold out hope.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I know I mentioned it in the other thread about 2 trades, but the Rangers shouldn't be desparate for Lucroy. Yes he'd be an upgrade, but Chirinos is adequate. Not sayin they shouldn't be interested, but they don't need a catcher bad

Why focus on Profar. Let's let them overvalue him and get Odor who I think will be 50% the better 2b. Odor/Arcia? Yes please!

Why must Lind be traded? Pre-QO quality? I just look around baseball and see a dearth of 1b. Barring Santana becoming the 1b of the future, Lind would be better served extended if the team is rebuilding by 2017.

Again, find me your 1b after this season? 2017-2020?

Where is he? I don't even look at trades for that answer. The best are Braun or Santana. No other team will be trading a better option.

Lucroy's trade this off-season has to be criminal in return. If it's not, it's not enough. Simple as that. Dodgers want Lucroy?...One of Seager or Urias. That type of criminal. There isn't any reason to trade him for anything less than $1.50 on the dollar.

Why focus on Profar. Let's let them overvalue him and get Odor who I think will be 50% the better 2b. Odor/Arcia? Yes please!

Why must Lind be traded? Pre-QO quality? I just look around baseball and see a dearth of 1b. Barring Santana becoming the 1b of the future, Lind would be better served extended if the team is rebuilding by 2017.

Where is he? I don't even look at trades for that answer. The best are Braun or Santana. No other team will be trading a better option.

Lucroy's trade this off-season has to be criminal in return. If it's not, it's not enough. Simple as that. Dodgers want Lucroy?...One of Seager or Urias. That type of criminal. There isn't any reason to trade him for anything less than $1.50 on the dollar.

I like that you value our players high because most really undervalue them but you might be too far on the other end of the spectrum. I love watching Lind but he's just not worth the chance of being injured and he's no spring chicken.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Lind will be mid-30's by the time this team competes. Signing him long term would be stupid.

Actually, I like Ryan Cordell and Gallo as a package. Cordell could play second, and Gallo third.

That being said, I'd extend Lucroy. A catcher like him makes the Brewers' pitching staff better. I see no reason to trade him to the Dodgers unless I am blown away in return. That means a package on the order of Seager and Austin Barnes for starters, and if they want Peralta, they have to toss in Urias and Cody Bellenger.

That being said, I'd extend Lucroy. A catcher like him makes the Brewers' pitching staff better.

I would love to see proof of that. His one huge defensive positive is framing pitches and I don't know if making pitchers depend on good strike calls is all that great. I also don't hear many preaching his game calling in general. Most think he is pretty average in that sense.

I would never overspend million of dollars on Lucroy for his ability to help young pitchers. He is no better than any other veteran I could get for a fraction of the cost.

Why do we need to be blown away to trade Lucroy? If someone gives a nice package I am taking it and never looking back. If he doesn't start performing closer to his 2014 numbers his trade value is going to decline rapidly.

I do not feel the need to get a top 10 prospect in return for Lucroy. I would simply target multiple top 100 prospects along with one or two high risk/ceiling prospects. My ideal trade partner for Lucroy would be the White Sox. A package of Fulmer, Michaelczewski, Leyer and either Alfaro or Zangari would be a solid haul for two years of Luc. We get a top of the rotation starter, a solid 3B prospect, a high ceiling pitcher who currently has some control issues and either a defensive catcher or power bat (a la Russell Branyan mold).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Actually, I like Ryan Cordell and Gallo as a package. Cordell could play second, and Gallo third.

Texas prospect Ryan Cordell has played zero games at 2B in his career. He's played a total of 33 at 3B (with 12 errors). He's has 14 games at SS (7 errors) and 11 games at 1B.

Extending Lind and Lucroy would be terrible decisions. Lind needs to be traded between now and the all-star break and Lucroy needs to be traded before spring training. With our stock pile of OFs coming up in the next year or so we don't need Braun in the OF and given it'll be difficult to trade him with his contract the most logical decision would be moving him to 1b once Lind is traded. He can finish his career at that position where I think he'll actually be pretty good. Fielding was never his issue and 1b doesn't sling it around the diamond too much. That locks up a corner IF spot for 5yrs and allows Stearns to focus on other positions of need long-term in the Lind and Lucroy deals (2b, 3b and C). I don't understand why TX would trade Gallo in general given his power potential and being in the AL - Profar makes more sense but they love Beltre/Fielder/Moreland. However, if TX is willing to part with Gallo I'd absolutely make that happen. 2b is a spot we can plug Villar/Rivera and be just fine given the rest of the team in 2017 would be Gallo/Arcia/Braun in IF with LF/Phillips/Santana in OF. I personally like a Reed-type taking over LF as he's strong defensively, has speed, strong plate discipline and knows how to get on base (this last point is why I'd choose him, right now, over Taylor/Coulter). Trent Clark is LF long-term if he keeps pace. Lind and Khris Davis trades can net a catching prospect and it's not difficult to find a veteran on the cheap to plug that hole. That doesn't even include whatever other prospects come back in return in those trades mentioned along with trading Segura, Scooter and potentially Peralta (a strong reliever would obviously be gone in a deal as well). In a couple years you could look at Nelson, Hader, Lopez, Jungmann, Davis for a rotation with other options via trade or packaging prospects (or the aforementioned starters).

There isn't any reason to trade him for anything less than $1.50 on the dollar.

There are lots of reasons to trade him as a fair trade. Lucroy could get injured and decrease his trade value, he could just not play as well as his trade value is now, and while we have him, we still are not competing in 2016, so we are paying $3.5M more for Lucroy over a min. wage guy to backup Maldy - and Lucroy's name isn't going to make up that in ticket sales, etc.

First of all, a fair trade by definition would take into account that he has an ultra-cheap contract and he has good production when not hurt, which you don't get from alot of catchers. So a team is obviously going to pay up some good prospects to acquire him, that doesn't mean we took advantage of the other team (getting $1.50 on the dollar), it is just that they are in a position of winning now and we aren't.

I think he has played well enough now that teams probably can agree on his production, but I can see where teams may hedge that he will miss time with injuries, whereas I hope and assume the Brewers are trading him looking for a return that assumes Lucroy would be healthy the remaining years of his contract.

I would be willing to trade now for a fair trade. But if it isn't "fair" to the Brewers, I would be more than willing to roll the dice and keep betting that Lucroy plays well and increases his value and then move him.

I think a smaller advantage to trading now is, you would have the prospects in the system now, which should allow for better evaluation and also give Stearns a better idea of what areas he needs to target, as once Lind and Lucroy are traded we really aren't going to be moving anyone for a great return (unless Peralta has a great season).

I would be willing to trade now for a fair trade. But if it isn't "fair" to the Brewers, I would be more than willing to roll the dice and keep betting that Lucroy plays well and increases his value and then move him.

I think a smaller advantage to trading now is, you would have the prospects in the system now, which should allow for better evaluation and also give Stearns a better idea of what areas he needs to target, as once Lind and Lucroy are traded we really aren't going to be moving anyone for a great return (unless Peralta has a great season).

I think this is inaccurate. Davis, Smith and even Segura could net us a decent return. We just need to find the right fit for each player.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think this is inaccurate. Davis, Smith and even Segura could net us a decent return. We just need to find the right fit for each player.

He said 'great' return - and I agree with him. Davis and Smith will likely net something decent - but not great. Lucroy is the only Brewer who currently would land a great return (and how great a return is debatable after his injuries and lackluster 2015 season). A great return gets you a top tier prospect and then some - much like the Gomez deal this past year.

I'm not sure Segura nets you much. He's got 2.5 years of below average production. But I guess you never know. I hope he starts off 2016 really hot so we can deal him at that time.

He said 'great' return - and I agree with him. Davis and Smith will likely net something decent - but not great. Lucroy is the only Brewer who currently would land a great return (and how great a return is debatable after his injuries and lackluster 2015 season). A great return gets you a top tier prospect and then some - much like the Gomez deal this past year.

I'm not sure Segura nets you much. He's got 2.5 years of below average production. But I guess you never know. I hope he starts off 2016 really hot so we can deal him at that time.

I believe Davis would net us a better return than Peralta who is coming off a bad year. But to your point the only players on our current roster who would net a top prospect would be Lucroy and Nelson (who I don't believe will be traded). Braun could be another option if Stearns is willing to eat a substantial portion of his remaining contract.

Figure a Marcum type gets a Lawrie top 20 prospect.

A player like Smith or Davis could net a very good top 100 prospect but it would be a 1 for 1, head up trade. Davis could maybe get a top 100 plus low level high ceiling guy or high floor low ceiling AAA type. Sergura could still net a Top 100 prospect as well, we just won't get a big deal out of it. Either head up or get 1 top 5-10 prospect in there system with a top 20-25 prospect in system

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Sergura could still net a Top 100 prospect as well, we just won't get a big deal out of it.

Jean Segura is not getting anything close to a Top 100 prospect. I would take Sardinas over him value wise to be honest and he got us some fringe prospect.

Figure a Marcum type gets a Lawrie top 20 prospect.

A player like Smith or Davis could net a very good top 100 prospect but it would be a 1 for 1, head up trade. Davis could maybe get a top 100 plus low level high ceiling guy or high floor low ceiling AAA type. Sergura could still net a Top 100 prospect as well, we just won't get a big deal out of it. Either head up or get 1 top 5-10 prospect in there system with a top 20-25 prospect in system

Are you comparing Peralta to Marcum? Marcum was coming off a solid season after missing an entire season while Wily is coming off arguably his worst season in the majors.

Marcum 2010: 3.64 ERA, 3.74 FIP, 115 ERA+, 1.147 WHIP, 7.6 K/9 and 3.84 K/BB

Peralta 2015: 4.72 ERA, 4.84 FIP, 84 ERA+, 1.537 WHIP, 5.0 K/9 and 1.62 K/BB

There is a reason trading for Marcum warranted a prospect of Lawrie's caliber. We would be lucky to get a prospect in the 80-100 range for Peralta at this point. Stearns would be smart to not trade Wily until he has regained his 2014 form where he can fetch the return you feel he is worth.

Archived