Brewer Fanatic

Lind, Lucroy, K-Rod available (as per Olney)

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
White sox do match up fairly well for luc. Get Fulmer and Montas. 2 top 100 prospects is a good return for him. The white sox system isnt all that deep. Maybe try to add trayce thompson. He'd add some pop to the bench and is capable at all 3 OF positions.

With the Braves now shopping Freeman that is going to hurt Lind's immediate value on the market and to a lesser extent Lucroy's value also.

I don't know that it hurts Lind's value all that much.They just aren't comparable trade chips in all honesty. With Freeman you have to commit serious money over the next two years and have your farm system take a huge hit. Lind has very good offensive production himself and won't cost anywhere near the same prospects or money.

Very well may not effect his value at all.

With the Braves now shopping Freeman that is going to hurt Lind's immediate value on the market and to a lesser extent Lucroy's value also.

I don't know that it hurts Lind's value all that much.They just aren't comparable trade chips in all honesty. With Freeman you have to commit serious money over the next two years and have your farm system take a huge hit. Lind has very good offensive production himself and won't cost anywhere near the same prospects or money.

Very well may not effect his value at all.

Agreed here. While you may have to give up one higher end prospect for Lind, you'll have to give up 3+ for Freeman.

To be honest, $20mil for Freddie Freeman is not a bad deal in today's market. The man can hit. Get him away from playing half his games in Atlanta and his numbers may rise even more. The Yankees should be all over him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Texas reportedly asked about Lucroy at the trade deadline (but were turned away by Melvin). So what about this off season?

Texas has a veteran club that is built to win over the next few years (Fielder, Beltre, Choo, Hamels, Hamilton). They have a big hole at catcher. Lucroy is cheap, meaning the club can spend money on pitching or wherever they feel necessary.

While getting Gallo would be fascinating, I don't know if Texas would be willing to give up on his potential power bat.

What about Dillon Tate? He was the #4 pick in the draft last year - only threw nine innings last year after signing out of college. He has a huge fastball and slider. Ranked #46 in MLB Pipeline, but lots of potential.

What if you could build a return around Tate and someone like pitcher Luis Ortiz (30th pick in the draft last year - had a great debut - 50 IP, 1.80 ERA - ranked 86th on MLP Pipeline list). Teams so rarely deal upper level pitchers, so I like the idea of adding high potential guys (even if they offer more chance of flaming out).

What about Dillon Tate? He was the #4 pick in the draft last year…

Tate was drafted in 2015. He can't be traded until a year after he signed (or was drafted, I'm not sure). He can be a player to be named later, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I could see Tate (PTBNL), Cordell and Faulkner for Lucroy or Fulmer, Michalczewski and Alfaro if traded to the White Sox. Both packages add a high ceiling starter, solid 3B prospect and another young power arm. Either would be a good haul for two years of Lucroy.

I could see Tate (PTBNL), Cordell and Faulkner for Lucroy or Fulmer, Michalczewski and Alfaro if traded to the White Sox. Both packages add a high ceiling starter, solid 3B prospect and another young power arm. Either would be a good haul for two years of Lucroy.

If the Brewers are going to go all high ceiling it would be better to take Ti'Quan Forbes over Cordell.

What about Dillon Tate? He was the #4 pick in the draft last year…

Tate was drafted in 2015. He can't be traded until a year after he signed (or was drafted, I'm not sure). He can be a player to be named later, though.

That rule was changed this year.

All signed players can now be traded once the world series ends.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/05/all-drafted-players-now-eligible-to-be-traded-after-world-series.html

Thanks for the info, reillymcshane. The new rule makes much more sense. The other part of the new rule is that players can't be "named later" unless they're eligible to be traded. This cleans things up a lot. Significantly, it avoids awkward situations where everyone knows who a PTBNL is going to be.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Honestly, If we are trading Lucroy to Rangers I think we need to make this more like the Houston trade & throw in someone like Will Smith to pry Joey Gallo away or to take Profar. They have a few really good OF's in their system with Mazara and Brinson that we really don't need. Tate and Matuella were draft last season and can't be traded yet. I think Ortiz has to come over, I was all over him in high school before we went Kodi instead in 1st round.

Johnathon Lucroy & Will Smith

for

3B Joey Gallo (1) or Profar

RHP Luis Ortiz (5),

LHP Yohander Mendez (10), Andrew Faulkner (12) or Brett Martin (16)

and Ti'quan Forbes (20) or 1B Ronald Guzman (23)

Overall Gallo, Ortiz, Martin, Forbes would be a win in my book for Lucroy and Smith.

Gallo is blocked by Hamilton and Choo in the Corners and is blocked at 3B by Beltre. Profar is listed as 3rd on depth chart at 2B behind Alberto...he won't be stealing Odor's spot.

They need Lucroy to make line up dangerous. They have a huge hole at catcher. 4-5 in there rotation is questionable, and the could use another proven back end guy. I personally would explore what they want for Gallo, Profar, and a low level high reward prospect (like a Forbes). I'd gladly trade Lucroy & Peralta or Lucroy & Rodriquez, or Lucroy & Smith for that package.

Our 2017 fast rebuild core would be:

1B (Braun? Clint Coulter? by July, someone we trade for?)

2B J. Profar 24

SS Orlando Arcia 22

3B Joey Gallo 23

C (bring someone in)

LF (Braun, Davis, or Reed...Roache, Taylor, Coulter?...Someone in a trade?)

CF Maverick Phillips 23

RF Domingo Santana 24

Still have Gennett, Segura, Lind, Kh. Davis, and Braun who all could be traded by 2017 to net someone to play 1B & Catcher.

For OF outside of Braun and Davis, Reed will be ready, Taylor, Coulter, Roache on door step.

Peralta is expandable since he will need to get paid before we are good again and with Lopez, Hader, Jungmann, Nelson, Davies, Houser, and so on.... we can afford to let him go.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Honestly, If we are trading Lucroy to Rangers I think we need to make this more like the Houston trade & throw in someone like Will Smith to pry Joey Gallo away or to take Profar. They have a few really good OF's in their system with Mazara and Brinson that we really don't need. Tate and Matuella were draft last season and can't be traded yet. I think Ortiz has to come over, I was all over him in high school before we went Kodi instead in 1st round.

for

RHP Luis Ortiz (5),

Overall Gallo, Ortiz, Martin, Forbes would be a win in my book for Lucroy and Smith.

Gallo is blocked by Hamilton and Choo in the Corners and is blocked at 3B by Beltre. Profar is listed as 3rd on depth chart at 2B behind Alberto...he won't be stealing Odor's spot.

They need Lucroy to make line up dangerous. They have a huge hole at catcher. 4-5 in there rotation is questionable, and the could use another proven back end guy. I personally would explore what they want for Gallo, Profar, and a low level high reward prospect (like a Forbes). I'd gladly trade Lucroy & Peralta or Lucroy & Rodriquez, or Lucroy & Smith for that package.

2B J. Profar 24

SS Orlando Arcia 22

3B Joey Gallo 23

C (bring someone in)

CF Maverick Phillips 23

RF Domingo Santana 24

Still have Gennett, Segura, Lind, Kh. Davis, and Braun who all could be traded by 2017 to net someone to play 1B & Catcher.

For OF outside of Braun and Davis, Reed will be ready, Taylor, Coulter, Roache on door step.

Peralta is expandable since he will need to get paid before we are good again and with Lopez, Hader, Jungmann, Nelson, Davies, Houser, and so on.... we can afford to let him go.

If we are getting either Gallo or Profar you should not have both included on the 2017 roster. I would prefer trading Lucroy to the White Sox for Fulmer, Michalczewski and Alfaro then also look to flip Davis and Smith to Toronto for Pentecost, Hollon and Burns. This fills some areas of need within our farm system while creating a spot for Santana in the OF.

Thanks for the info, reillymcshane. The new rule makes much more sense. The other part of the new rule is that players can't be "named later" unless they're eligible to be traded. This cleans things up a lot. Significantly, it avoids awkward situations where everyone knows who a PTBNL is going to be.

The situation with Trea Turner playing 1/2 the year in SD's minor league system, when everyone knew he was heading to Washington, really forced the league to clarify the situation.

If we are getting either Gallo or Profar you should not have both included on the 2017 roster. I would prefer trading Lucroy to the White Sox for Fulmer, Michalczewski and Alfaro then also look to flip Davis and Smith to Toronto for Pentecost, Hollon and Burns. This fills some areas of need within our farm system while creating a spot for Santana in the OF.

I really like Pentecost coming out of college, but he's missed more than a year with injury. Has anyone heard his current status? Just wondering.

In addition to the two moves above I would look to trade K-Rod and Lind. My guess is we could get Ke'Bryan Hayes from the Pirates for Lind and Javier Betancourt from Detroit for K-Rod. Come 2018 we could be looking at the following roster:

C - Pentecost

1B - Braun

2B - Betancourt

SS - Arcia

3B - Michalczewski

LF - Coulter/Taylor

CF - Phillips

RF - Santana

Rotation:

Fulmer

Nelson

Lopez

Any two of the following: Hader, Peralta, Jungmann, Davies

I really like Pentecost coming out of college, but he's missed more than a year with injury. Has anyone heard his current status? Just wondering.

I haven't seen any updates but my thought is his value might be a bit lower due to the questions surrounding his recovery from shoulder surgery. He has all of the tools to project as a solid all around catcher if the Brewers allow him adequate time to develop. Adding him and Fulmer would be extremely beneficial to our rebuild.

I really like the White Sox idea

Fullmar, Michalezewski, and Alfaro/Zangari

a couple other teams who need a catcher:

Rays

LHP Snell (2), 1B Gillespie (10), C Betts (12)

or

RHP Honeywell (3), C O'Conner (8), 1B/3B Shaffer (11)

Twins

RHP Berrios (2), 1B Kepler (6), LHPThorpe (14)/3B Cabbage (16)

Astros- don't get much out of castro/conger--Stassi is there though

Aj. Reed, Martes, Moran

Rangers I talked about before

Angels and Seattles system are very uninteresting

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

for

RHP Luis Ortiz (5),

2B J. Profar 24

SS Orlando Arcia 22

3B Joey Gallo 23

C (bring someone in)

CF Maverick Phillips 23

RF Domingo Santana 24

That 2017 lineup wouldn't be as good as:

1B Braun/Rogers/Someone traded for

2B Gennett/RH platoon partner Rivera

SS Arcia

3B Someone we trade for Asche perhaps but LH hitter a priority

LF Davis

CF Phllips

RF Braun or Reed

C Lucroy

Santana is the trade chip they need to use to fill 3B or 1B hole. They have plenty of corner OF depth in the system and he has the most value. Extend Lucroy through 2021. Top catchers are next to impossible to acquire on the cheap.

That 2017 lineup wouldn't be as good as:

1B Braun/Rogers/Someone traded for

2B Gennett/RH platoon partner Rivera

SS Arcia

3B Someone we trade for Asche perhaps but LH hitter a priority

LF Davis

CF Phillips

RF Braun or Reed

C Lucroy

Santana is the trade chip they need to use to fill 3B or 1B hole. They have plenty of corner OF depth in the system and he has the most value. Extend Lucroy through 2021. Top catchers are next to impossible to acquire on the cheap.

That lineup doesn't excite me much too much unless we have a star-studded pitching staff, which we will not have.

Best-case scenario (read: extremely unlikely) is that you have 2, maybe 3 All Star caliber players in Braun, Lucroy, and one of the younger guys. I don't see any ace pitchers in the near future and you're relying on a bunch of young guys to be good right away. I don't think Reed will be ready to be that good of a hitter right away. Somebody's going to get hurt and we have minimal depth ready to roll beyond that lineup.

Likely-case scenario is you have 3 borderline All Star caliber hitters, injuries with no depth behind those guys, and you're going to start paying both Braun and Lucroy $20 million/each annually to get worse and worse from 2018 to 2021 while your young core is improving.

I also doubt Lucroy just takes an extension unless he really doubts his abilities. He probably wants to play it out until free agency - then you have the fear of getting nothing other than the draft pick for him or the smaller chance that injuries begin to derail his career or he already starts to decline at an earlier age.

I think Davis has more value because he is more of a proven commodity than Santana and still has 4 years of control. As much as I like Lucroy, I do not think it is a good idea to extend him into his mid-30s. He can easily fetch a top of the rotation starter and a solid corner infielder, if traded now, while Davis could net you a high ceiling catcher like Pentecost who is coming off of shoulder surgery. The Blue Jays window will be closing after this season and they will be looking for cheap players who can fill some glaring holes (i.e. LF and their bullpen).

Archived