Brewer Fanatic

Lind, Lucroy, K-Rod available (as per Olney)

Giolito is not being traded. Come on. Maybe if J.Fernandez was on the table. Or Zach Grienke. Minus 100mil.

Rendon is solidly the Nats 3b. Hes so good it'd take Lucroy, Smith, Kneble maybe if not more. Rendon is top 25 in all of baseball. Maybe top 10. Because of 3b prowess that doesn't exist. Franchise player requires better than franchise making return. Just saying.

I'm still in belief Lucroy will remain on team to start season.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rosenthal

The Brewers remain involved in ongoing trade conversations about catcher Jonathan Lucroy, sources say. Makes sense -- they might be better off trading Lucroy before Opening Day than waiting until the July 31 nonwaiver deadline or next offseason, when he will be only a year away from agency.

Lucroy, 29, is not at the peak of his value -- he is coming off a subpar offensive season that included a six-week absence due to a broken left toe. He also did not catch after Sept. 8 due to a concussion, a concern that almost certainly would give interested clubs pause.

Still, his contract makes him one of the game’s biggest bargains; Lucroy is under team control for two more seasons for a total of $9.25 million. And catchers rarely get traded during the season, given the difficulty of learning a pitching staff on the fly.

Not one catcher who started 50 or more games before the deadline has been traded in July since 2012, according to STATS LLC. Only a handful of premier receivers have changed teams after Opening Day during the past 30 years -- Victor Martinez in 2009, Paul LoDuca in 2004, Charles Johnson in 2000, Mike Piazza in 1998.

Lucroy could join that list of exceptions -- catchers of his quality rarely are available at midseason. The Brewers, after gauging his market all offseason, know which contenders might want to upgrade before the July 31 nonwaiver deadline. They could hold Lucroy, allow him to increase his value and then strike.

Such a strategy, however, involves risk -- Lucroy could get off to a slow start or suffer another injury. The Brewers might be compelled to act sooner rather than later; the Diamondbacks, Angels, Rays and Rangers are among the contenders that would benefit from an immediate improvement at catcher.

I would take Shipley and Drury along with Gabby Guerrero or Dawel Lugo from the Dbacks for Lucroy.

Sign me up for a Dave Stewart trade.

With the Grienke signing the dbacks are clearly all in for 2016-2017.

Any trade with the Dbacks would have to include Shipley and Drury. I would strongly prefer Lugo over Guerrero. Guerrero is older than Lugo and had bad year in the southern league last year. Wei Chieh Huang also interests me. Doesnt throw gas but locates well with a nice change-up. Reminds me of Lopez in the brewers system.

Lucroy seems like a perfect fit for TB. Don't think we could get Snell but maybe 2 or 3 of Guerrieri/Honeywell/Faria/Bauers could be the foundation for a deal. Even though he's never lived up to the hype of being the first pick I've always liked Beckham too.

I would take Shipley and Drury along with Gabby Guerrero or Dawel Lugo from the Dbacks for Lucroy.

Sign me up for a Dave Stewart trade.

With the Grienke signing the dbacks are clearly all in for 2016-2017.

Any trade with the Dbacks would have to include Shipley and Drury. I would strongly prefer Lugo over Guerrero. Guerrero is older than Lugo and had bad year in the southern league last year. Wei Chieh Huang also interests me. Doesnt throw gas but locates well with a nice change-up. Reminds me of Lopez in the brewers system.

I am a little skeptical of Drury, but then again I don't love the offensive profiles for most of their position player prospects. I do think they have some interesting arms such as the RHPs mentioned in Shipley and Huang, as well as 2nd round LHP Alex Young. And just for fun why don't they send us back LHP Anthony Banda as well.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Note to DS, please be right on these prospects, with this contract, Lucroys framing ability and his age this could be HUGE for the Brew. Remember the Greg Vaughn trade, we only got back serviceable players, we can't repeat that.

Huge for what, at best a 75 win team? He's not getting any younger and skills will diminish rapidly every day over 30. Pair that with concussions and now is the time to move him if we want to get a good return. Even waiting 1/2 way through the season could be a bust if he's not hitting well again (I know what his last couple months stats were).

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Note to DS, please be right on these prospects, with this contract, Lucoys framing ability and his age this could be HUGE for the Brew. Remember the Greg Vaughn trade, we only got back serviceable players, we can't repeat that.

Huge for what, at best a 75 win team? He's not getting any younger and skills will diminish rapidly every day over 30. Pair that with concussions and now is the time to move him if we want to get a good return. Even waiting 1/2 way through the season could be a bust if he's not hitting well again (I know what his last couple months stats were).

He's advocating to trade Lucroy. I think you misunderstood that.

Really we have until March to trade him otherwise, he is here until next off-season. Changing catcher at mid season will cause more issue than benefits for a contender. Very few teams make that move.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Really we have until March to trade him otherwise, he is here until next off-season. Changing catcher at mid season will cause more issue than benefits for a contender. Very few teams make that move.

People keep saying that but for a catcher of Lucroy's caliber I doubt any team hesitates to make that move.

Note to DS, please be right on these prospects, with this contract, Lucroys framing ability and his age this could be HUGE for the Brew. Remember the Greg Vaughn trade, we only got back serviceable players, we can't repeat that.

Huge for the organization since he is the best trade chip and chance at a top prospect. Thinking about the 75 win team is short sighted and certainly not the focus of DS.

Huge for the organization since he is the best trade chip and chance at a top prospect. Thinking about the 75 win team is short sighted and certainly not the focus of DS.

It seems you're assuming that Stearns' priorities should be what you're projecting yours to be, and that there are quality offers out there for Lucroy. Lots of trade talk on Lucroy doesn't mean there are any worthy offers, and it would be utterly foolish for Stearns to take a sub-standard return at any point just because it's the best offer currently out there.

People keep saying that but for a catcher of Lucroy's caliber I doubt any team hesitates to make that move.

Is his performance going to out weigh the drop in performance for the pitching staff? It's going to be an adjustment period to learn all the new starters & RPs, how to best call a game for them, how pitches break, and etc. It is not an easy transition as you need to learn a whole new staff.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Is his performance going to out weigh the drop in performance for the pitching staff? It's going to be an adjustment period to learn all the new starters & RPs, how to best call a game for them, how pitches break, and etc. It is not an easy transition as you need to learn a whole new staff.

If your catcher can't hit a lick and is nothing special defensively you make that move. Luc's a professional, the pitchers are professionals. They'll figure it out. If it's a NL team Lucroy's already knows the scouting reports on those guys as a hitter. I think way too much is made about figuring out a pitching staff, especially when in today's game pitching is just throw fastball really hard and breaking ball with 2 strikes.

This could be one of those rare cases of a spring training blockbuster. It would go a long way towards helping build back Luc's value if he's able to play regularly early in ST and swing the bat well. Teams don't want to pay the Brewers' asking price without an assurance of his health. It's a small window but a team that can bring Lucroy in 2-3 weeks prior to Opening Day should be able to make the transition with their pitching staff.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I remember when Luc was called up in the middle of a season. A lot was made about the transition period; learning pitchers, signs, game plans, tendencies, etc... There were a few in-game mistakes in that transition time. Then a month later, no one brought it up again.

Its not like its an insurmountable task.

Archived