Brewer Fanatic

Lind, Lucroy, K-Rod available (as per Olney)

Zunino was rushed. He struggled in his 1st full season where they threw him in AAA. So instead of getting him right in AAA they called him up after 50 games and feed him to the sharks. He is a better hitter than what he has shown so far. His K's are troubling through. Needs to be coached...something Jack Z didn't value much.

Is Peterson even a top 10 prospect for the Brewers. I almost have to slot him at like 12 or so, at best.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh boy, the worst hitter in baseball in Zunino and a guy in Peterson who couldn't hit AA pitching last year. What a haul that would be! I know Lind didn't have a lot of trade value, but that really proves it. I must say I really can't wait to watch Zunino strike out every other AB.

Zunino's stats make Bob Uecker look like a HOF player.

Yeah, their stats are both really bad, no question. The 3rd pick in the draft in 2012 and the 12th pick in the draft in 2013.

However, both guys were rushed and both were premier prospects quite recently.

As it turns out Zunino isnt part of the trade anyhow per MLBtraderumors.

Zunino was rushed. He struggled in his 1st full season where they threw him in AAA. So instead of getting him right in AAA they called him up after 50 games and feed him to the sharks. He is a better hitter than what he has shown so far. His K's are troubling through. Needs to be coached...something Jack Z didn't value much.

Is Peterson even a top 10 prospect for the Brewers. I almost have to slot him at like 12 or so, at best.

Peterson was the 85th best prospect in baseball pre 2015. I wouldn't take him straight up for Lind of course, but seems like he has the tools to turn a bad 2015 around.

I'd rather this trade be official before "slotting" Peterson into the Top 10 Brewers prospects, but I would actually put Peterson at #4 behind Arcia, Phillips and Clark.

D.J. Peterson was a B+ prospect a year ago by Sickels. Obviously his star has faded a bit but he's still probably a B prospect at the least. That would put him as the same grade as Trent Clark so he would be around our 5th or 6th best prospect.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/12/2/9814812/milwaukee-brewers-top-20-prospects-for-2016

@WiscoSportsNut

Jack Z was fired for drafting failures like Peterson and Zunino. Reminds me of old days when Bando lost his job for picking guys like Antone Williamson and Kyle Peterson (relation??).

Zunino was supposed to be a finished product coming out of Florida. After all he was the 3rd overall pick. He's regressed since his rookie year. Peterson peaked in hitter friendly Cal League.

Hopefully he is almost 24 and could figure out AA at all. We completely lost faith (according to rankings) in Taylor for his struggles at AA as one of the top 10 youngest players in the league. His season was gold compared to Peterson. Of course he can bounce back but his age and struggles at AA are troubling to me. Overall it is for Lind, so I happily take the trade. I just don't know how he really measures up in our system talent wise

I'd rather this trade be official before "slotting" Peterson into the Top 10 Brewers prospects, but I would actually put Peterson at #4 behind Arcia, Phillips and Clark.

I would put him at #10 or 11 in our system depending on how you rate Davies.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At this point, I don't think Peterson is not a Top 10 prospect for Milwaukee. Close - maybe 8-9. But I think you're right - the 10-15 range. He was bad last year at AA (.636 OPS). He did okay in 2014 at AA - .808 OPS on 222 ABs - but you can't dismiss his struggles this year.

I guess I'd compare Peterson to Tyrone Taylor. Both were Top 100 prospects (Peterson was as high as 50 on some charts), but both struggled at AA and the luster really went off both of them. Peterson at least looked okay in 2014, so there's hope he can rebound to that kind of production.

I guess it comes down to the Brewer scouts seeing a guy that can be 'fixed' as opposed to a guy who just doesn't have the ability to be better.

Really #4? I had him close to that #40, a full 10 spots lower than Nick Ramirez.

Jack Z was fired for drafting failures like Peterson and Zunino. Reminds me of old days when Bando lost his job for picking guys like Antone Williamson and Kyle Peterson (relation??).

Zunino was supposed to be a finished product coming out of Florida. After all he was the 3rd overall pick. He's regressed since his rookie year. Peterson peaked in hitter friendly Cal League.

I completely disagree...considering you don't know that the GM actually doesn't draft players, it is very hard to take your comment serious. Doesn't matter how ready you are suppose to be coming out of college. They gave him really 1 year from his first game after being drafted to develop into a MLB player. I don't care if you are picked #3 or not and went to college. That isn't how you develop players.

At this point, Peterson is not a Top 10 prospect for Milwaukee. I think you're right - maybe the 10-15 range. He was bad last year at AA (.636 OPS). He did okay in 2014 at AA - .808 OPS on 222 ABs - but you can't dismiss his struggles this year.

I guess I'd compare Peterson to Tyrone Taylor. Both were Top 100 prospects (Peterson was as high as 50 on some charts), but both struggled at AA and the luster really went off both of them. Peterson at least looked okay in 2014, so there's hope he can rebound to that kind of production.

I guess it comes down to the Brewer scouts seeing a guy that can be 'fixed' as opposed to a guy who just doesn't have the ability to be better.

Taylor was in his first year at AA and his numbers last year weren't nearly as dismal as Peterson's who was repeating the level. Equally disturbing is Peterson's performance in the Arizona Fall League where he's hit a combined .190 the last two seasons. May I remind everyone that Scooter Gennett hit .411 in the AFL as a 21 year old. Actual hitting prospects tend to tear up that league.

I completely disagree...considering you don't know that the GM actually doesn't draft players, it is very hard to take your comment serious. Doesn't matter how ready you are suppose to be coming out of college. They gave him really 1 year from his first game after being drafted to develop into a MLB player. I don't care if you are picked #3 or not and went to college. That isn't how you develop players.

GM's own the #1 picks, even if they don't "per se" run the draft. Bando was run out of town for missing on so many high picks.

I agree with the reasons to be concerned for Peterson and his future production. At best I think he is maybe a Lind, not great, just a solid everyday player. I think he was a good pick and he has the tools to be a solid player, however this season really shot his value.

Now this deal is for Lind so if we can get Peterson and maybe a young arm like Wells who has promise. I will be okay with it. Right now we don't have much at 1B or 3B so you take Peterson and hope his swing comes back to be at least replacement level.

Jack Z got fired because he had no clue as to what he was doing in every fashion. His signings, trades, player development strategies, and the list goes on....he was simply brutal beyond belief. He doesn't draft, he may give input on who he'd prefer if available or the type of players he wanted (move fast bats) but is not to be blamed for their drafting "failures."

I don't put much stock in AFL (besides when my boy Hader proves he is the greatest lefty to ever play the game). That is like saying Brewers need to get ride of Santana now! He is having an awful winter, his future and career is over!!! Knee-Jerk reaction.

It's now rumored that Zunino is NOT part of the deal.

With that said, I hope Sterns can squeeze a high upside arm (or two!) out of DiPoto to go along with CI DJ Peterson.

Do we move Peterson back to 3B? I know he's supposedly not that good on defense, but a thought.

Won't matter if he doesn't hit he's not going to make it to Milwaukee.

Take a look at this guy, who may not have had as long/bad of a season as Peterson, but struggled/had a mediocre hitting season every time he jumped to the next level.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I imagine that when word gets out that Milwaukee and Seattle is close to a deal - that's when any other teams serious about Lind will really come forward and talk seriously.

Everyone wants a bargain. They'll try and lowball Milwaukee for Lind, then when push comes to shove, they'll have to either step up or lose the guy.

While Seattle sounds like a close thing, perhaps other teams will get into the game now that things are serious. Hopefully, that will improve the return we get on Adam.

I imagine that when word gets out that Milwaukee and Seattle is close to a deal - that's when any other teams serious about Lind will really come forward and talk seriously.

Everyone wants a bargain. They'll try and lowball Milwaukee for Lind, then when push comes to shove, they'll have to either step up or lose the guy.

While Seattle sounds like a close thing, perhaps other teams will get into the game now that things are serious. Hopefully, that will improve the return we get on Adam.

Good point. I feel Stearns is the type of GM who is wiling to show his hand in order to get a knee jerk reaction from a desperate GM.

GM's own the #1 picks, even if they don't "per se" run the draft. Bando was run out of town for missing on so many high picks.

GM's don't have the time to draft. There is so much scouting that needs to be done even in the 1st round. They are trying to run the mlb club day in and day out. Peterson at 12? I hardly believe Jack Z was in his office everyday scouting all the possible players who were options at 12. Now Ackerley at #2 or Zunino at #3 he may have been more involved but overall you hire people you trust to do that job for you. Moreover, neither of those selectioned were frowned upon in the baseball world. Before They decided to stop trying to develop Zunino and just feed him to the sharks, he looked great. He mashed all the way through AA after he was drafted with an OPS over 800. That is impressive. He lost his swing in AAA so instead of getting it back on track they throw his broken swing in the MLB.....usually that doesn't work so well.

Archived