Brewer Fanatic

Lind, Lucroy, K-Rod available (as per Olney)

Lucroy for Gallo, Ortiz, and Morgan would make me a happy man

I would be happy with that return. At the very least it would cut my tailgating short for the foreseeable future because Gallo's BP sessions at Miller Park would be something to behold. Gallo and Ortiz were two players I was very intrigued with when they were drafted, and I think I would almost be more excited about Ortiz now. I would have some concerns with Gallo, but overall tough to not be excited about acquiring the guy with (arguably?) the highest power potential in the minors.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted Ortiz at 12 or if he dropped when we went Kodi. Rumor was he was dropping due to injury so had fingers crossed but we missed on him. Obviously us skipping Gallo for Hanigar when nearly everyone on this board thought Gallo was ours.

I absolutely disagree that is greedy. Gallo has proved nothing at MLB level. Unless Lucroy takes the extension his performance calls for, he may be the best value in baseball. You are getting one of the top catchers in baseball who is both a major producer on offense and solid defender for nickels on the dollar. For 3.5 million your grateful to get a Jason Kendall.....to get an All-star....that's a win. Teams don't pay up, we don't need to trade him. Like I said, as long as we don't extend him, he has just as much value as he does now. You hold out for you game changing deal

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

When I was going through every depth chart looking for CFs to target, If Bogg is ready now, I think he would be good guy to grab. If he's not ready though, we don't really need him in Colorado Springs competing for time with Phillips

If Phillips is really pegged as the CF of the future and only needs one more year in the minors, wouldn't it make more sense to just sign a veteran of some kind to play CF?? There's gotta be one or two out there we can sign to a 1-2 year contract?

And if they play well, flip them at the deadline for anything and let Phillips/Santana cover it the rest of the season.

If Phillips is really pegged as the CF of the future and only needs one more year in the minors, wouldn't it make more sense to just sign a veteran of some kind to play CF?? There's gotta be one or two out there we can sign to a 1-2 year contract?

And if they play well, flip them at the deadline for anything and let Phillips/Santana cover it the rest of the season.

I think that is the plan, but people have evolved it into a young CFer.

My guess is, even if Milwaukee and Texas could agree on a deal for Lucroy, both teams will make a deal before that one. I expect Adam Lind and Mitch Moreland to be moved before the larger one, if it were to happen.

If the Brewers were to send Lucroy to Texas, here's my offer ...

Lucroy and Khris Davis for Joey Gallo, Chi Chi Gonzalez, Yohander Mendez, and someone like Patrick Kivlehan or Ti'Quan Forbes.

Texas says they want a righty bat to complement Josh Hamilton in LF, and they want Lucroy ... ok then.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=tex

Why sign a veteran when Michael Reed is on the roster?

Reed has some OBP skills, some speed, a bit of power. Kind of a faster Brady Clark.

I wanted Ortiz at 12 or if he dropped when we went Kodi. Rumor was he was dropping due to injury so had fingers crossed but we missed on him. Obviously us skipping Gallo for Hanigar when nearly everyone on this board thought Gallo was ours.

I absolutely disagree that is greedy. Gallo has proved nothing at MLB level. Unless Lucroy takes the extension his performance calls for, he may be the best value in baseball. You are getting one of the top catchers in baseball who is both a major producer on offense and solid defender for nickels on the dollar. For 3.5 million your grateful to get a Jason Kendall.....to get an All-star....that's a win. Teams don't pay up, we don't need to trade him. Like I said, as long as we don't extend him, he has just as much value as he does now. You hold out for you game changing deal

When was he offered this extension? To my knowledge the Brewers haven't and aren't planning on extending him at market value despite Lucroy's rumored interests last spring.

According to that Toronto Sun article, it looks like the Brewers really aren't that interested in trading Lucroy,

"The Brewers told the Jays they are not interested in moving their catcher."

I guess you never know what a team might offer to try to change their minds, but doesn't look they are that interested in trading him at the moment.

Lucroy and Khris Davis for Joey Gallo, Chi Chi Gonzalez, Yohander Mendez, and someone like Patrick Kivlehan or Ti'Quan Forbes.

That would be enough for Lucroy alone. Khris Davis will cost at least another 70-100 Top 100 guy + possibly some more minor pieces.

Also they want a complementing piece for Josh Hamilton. While Khris Davis isn't a star he is too good to be on the smaller half of a platoon with Hamilton. Rangers won't give up what Khris Davis is worth when they only want to use him as a platoon player. I figure they are more interested in a short term FA solution.

According to that Toronto Sun article, it looks like the Brewers really aren't that interested in trading Lucroy,

"The Brewers told the Jays they are not interested in moving their catcher."

I guess you never know what a team might offer to try to change their minds, but doesn't look they are that interested in trading him at the moment.

Or the Brewers just dont want to make a trade with the Blue Jays. The Jays system was pretty much ravaged by the trades last summer.

Frankly, their may be only 6 or 7 systems with enough depth to trade for Lucroy.

Would Toronto be looking to move Lucroy to 1B/DH? They already have Russell Martin.

Yah I don't get the match. Moving Lucroy or Martin off of the catcher position? Seems really dumb...maybe they would trade Russell Martin for salary relief/prospects? I can't fathom making one not play catcher.

Toronto is not a fit at all.

As someone already mentioned, there are a small number of farm systems qualified to make a Lucroy trade and Toronto isnt one of them. Since they also don't have a need for a catcher, I dont see how they would be compelled to give us what we would want even if we were willing to except a quantity vs quality trade.

I think Toronto has the system to do it if they wanted to. One time I remember hearing there was no chance we could ever trade for Greinke. Then a few weeks later we traded for Greinke.

I think they could do it on prospects alone. Sure it would take like 5-6, but we could get multiple high ceiling players. Jonathan Harris, Max Pentecost, Vlad Guerrero Jr., and throw in two other nice complementing prospects. Ton of potential there and a lot of chances to hit big. They could also trade us Devon Travis and then fill 2B by other means.

Once again I don't see the fit just for the fact they have Russel Martin, but they could put together a competitive package if they wanted too.

I absolutely disagree that is greedy. Gallo has proved nothing at MLB level. Unless Lucroy takes a extension his performance calls for, he may be the best value in baseball. You are getting one of the top catchers in baseball who is both a major producer on offense and solid defender for nickels on the dollar. For 3.5 million your grateful to get a Jason Kendall.....to get an All-star....that's a win. Teams don't pay up, we don't need to trade him. Like I said, as long as we don't extend him, he has just as much value as he does now. You hold out for you game changing deal

When was he offered this extension? To my knowledge the Brewers haven't and aren't planning on extending him at market value despite Lucroy's rumored interests last spring.

He wasn't, I was saying unless the DO offer him one, his value will be through the roof. He has way too much value with how productive and cheap he is. Now if the Brewers decided to extend him and pay him what he is worth, his value greatly reduces

It's sometimes hard to believe daily newspaper sportswriters are still a thing. That article cites Ben Revere, Michael Saunders, and Dalton Pompey as potential trade chips in a Segura or Lucroy deal. Revere is 27 and Saunders is 29. Pompey has the profile of someone who makes sense, though I don't know anything beyond his stats. The Brewers are rebuilding. It isn't rocket science. They aren't going to trade valuable assets for veteran gap-fillers. (Whether Segura is a valuable asset isn't an argument I mean to jump into here.)

The article mentions that the Jays need relief help. They swung and missed at the big FA relievers. We keep talking about multiple-player packages, and I wonder if we may not see a vet reliever or two shipped out as part of a big trade.

Where does Segura fit for them? Is Tulo not there anymore? This confuses me.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived