Brewer Fanatic

Milller, Morrison and Farquhar from Seattle to Tampa for Karns, Riefenhauser and Boog Powell

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Off season trades have begun! Such excitement.

Mariners send infielder Brad Miller, first baseman Logan Morrison and pitcher Danny Farquhar to Tampa Bay for pitchers Nathan Karns and C.J. Riefenhauser and minor league outfielder Boog Powell.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14063587/seattle-mariners-tampa-bay-rays-make-6-player-trade

This showcases the importance of a GM. Friedman was the reason Tampa was able to compete in the East for so long without the payroll of the other teams in the division. I'd have to believe that he would be on the other end of a deal like this, which sends two so-so "MLB ready" guys and a "name veteran" for some good prospects. My guess is that Tampa will not be nearly as good going forward as they were under Friedman.

i just hope he doesn't go all preller on the roster trying to put together a competitive roster right away instead of letting the process play out.

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic about the changes, but I think that there is no chance of that happening. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I didn't know there was another Boog Powell. His name is enough to make you want to root for him.

The 'original' Boog Powell was a pretty good player back in the 60s and 70s. He was a big guy - maybe 6'5" and 240-250 lbs. - so his defense was limited. But the guy could pound the ball. He hit 30+ HR several times, drove in lots of runs - even won an MVP.

If I recall, other than one season in Cleveland as a DH, he was pretty much washed up by about 30 - had that body type that didn't age well.

If I recall, other than one season in Cleveland as a DH, he was pretty much washed up by about 30 - had that body type that didn't age well.

Especially back in the day when MLB players' workouts consisted of beer and cigars :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Especially back in the day when MLB players' workouts consisted of beer and cigars :-)

Boog Powell always reminded me of the Skipper from Gilligan's Island.

Boog Powell

http://cdn.thebaseballpage.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/player_page_profile_image/images/baseball_entity/BoogPowell.jpg

Alan Hale Jr. - The Skipper

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2001/222/halealanjrbio.jpg

I was always waiting out Brad Miller to fill out his potential. It feels like all of the lefty, middle-infielders with high hopes that Seattle has pushed out recently have been spectacular busts. I've always wondered if they would have fared differently in different parks. Middle infield guys that can hit the ball well but don't have the raw power to hit it out of Safeco (and O.co and Anaheim) regularly. The Trop isn't an incredible amount better, but Ackley already seemed to be looking better in a platoon at Yankee Stadium. This is what I'll be following.

Franklin (switch) had a lower ceiling and is also in TB with a "TBD" decision on that due to injury last year.

Archived