Brewer Fanatic

Fangraphs' Top 50 Free Agent Predictions

And That

Dave Cameron posted his predictions for who will sign the top 50 free agents. His prediction for the Brewers:

Absolutely no one.

This of course means almost nothing in and of itself, but seems to be in line with the thinking that despite the Brewers' payroll looking to be only in the low $70 millions at the moment, they probably won't add any significant pieces.

I continue to think that Mike Leake would be an interesting investment on a 4 or 5 year deal, but they probably won't pursue him, and probably shouldn't for $16 million AAV.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Dave Cameron posted his predictions for who will sign the top 50 free agents. His prediction for the Brewers:

Absolutely no one.

This of course means almost nothing in and of itself, but seems to be in line with the thinking that despite the Brewers' payroll looking to be only in the low $70 millions at the moment, they probably won't add any significant pieces.

I continue to think that Mike Leake would be an interesting investment on a 4 or 5 year deal, but they probably won't pursue him, and probably shouldn't for $16 million AAV.

Leake is the kind of player the Brewers may be targeting going forward - specifically a high groundball pitcher.

Peralta, Jungmann, Davies, Nelson - all big time groundball pitchers. Add in a guy like Leake you are making an interesting staff (maybe not that good, but interesting). If you then look to improve your defense and load up the bullpen with power arms, you have something interesting. Again, maybe not great, but interesting.

the only two guys I could see the Brewers bringing in are Justin Morneau and Austin Jackson. Assuming we trade Lind this offseason, Morneau would be a good replacement option (1-2 year sign) to bring in and platoon with Rogers. He would most likely provide similar offensive numbers as Adam Lind this past year, but better defensively. but, because of his concussion/injury issues, might be had for much cheaper. In addition, provided he performs well in the first half of the year, he would be a great trade piece to add some additional prospects. if rogers doesn't hit well next season we could keep morneau all year and trade him in the offseason. if morneau continues his injury woes- little risk, just play rogers and release him at some point during the season. all upside here.

If Austin Jackson would accept a low contract, 1-2 year deal- I could see a similar situation as with Morneau. he could reassert his value, starting in CF or being a 4th OF- and could be traded if/when Phillips/Reed is ready. or just released if he's not performing. again- little risk for someone who could return a prospect or two.

also- none of these players make sense for the brewers, but for a low-budgeted team looking to compete next season, here is a list of Bargain Value players I think could be low risk/cost, solid reward contributors- many of whom are bounce back candidates:

* Brian Matsuz

* Rajai Davis

* Jhoulys Chacin

* Trevor Cahill

* Alexei Ramirez

* Rafael Soriano

* Alexi Ogando

* Ernesto Frieri

* Joba Chamberlain

* Andrew Bailey

* Nori Aoki

* Steve Pearce

* Adam Loewen

* Brandon Beachy

* Blake Wood

* Tim Lincecum

Maybe it is stupid, but I would not mind them signing Tim Lincecum if his price is modest. Maybe you get lucky for half a year and flip him. If not what is the worst possibility? You have a marketable player to create some fan interest? As long as he doesn't totally flop I'd think people would have interest seeing him in a Brewers uniform. Maybe they get lucky and he throws a no hitter or something.

Maybe it is stupid, but I would not mind them signing Tim Lincecum if his price is modest. Maybe you get lucky for half a year and flip him. If not what is the worst possibility? You have a marketable player to create some fan interest? As long as he doesn't totally flop I'd think people would have interest seeing him in a Brewers uniform. Maybe they get lucky and he throws a no hitter or something.

Doug Melvin, is that you?

Worst possibility is you have millions of dollars tied up in a player who gives you no trade value if he flops and is taking valuable innings every 5th game away from a young pitcher who deserves a shot at showing the Brewers he can be part of the future rotation.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Doug Melvin, is that you?

Worst possibility is you have millions of dollars tied up in a player who gives you no trade value if he flops and is taking valuable innings every 5th game away from a young pitcher who deserves a shot at showing the Brewers he can be part of the future rotation.

Well I was only half serious. It would probably be more serious if we didn't have so many starting pitchers to weed through. If we didn't have that problem we could probably use a rotation spot for a flyer guy like Lincecum. Not like he would be locked up for multiple years. Could just release him and not she's too many tears if he flopped bad in the first half.

also- none of these players make sense for the brewers, but for a low-budgeted team looking to compete next season, here is a list of Bargain Value players I think could be low risk/cost, solid reward contributors- many of whom are bounce back candidates:

* Brian Matsuz

* Rajai Davis

* Jhoulys Chacin

* Trevor Cahill

* Alexei Ramirez

* Rafael Soriano

* Alexi Ogando

* Ernesto Frieri

* Joba Chamberlain

* Andrew Bailey

* Nori Aoki

* Steve Pearce

* Adam Loewen

* Brandon Beachy

* Blake Wood

* Tim Lincecum

Alexi Ogando would be an intriguing option if we decide to trade K-Rod and/or Smith.

Archived