Brewer Fanatic

Dusty in D.C. … Latest: Maddux hired as pitching coach (post 10)

Dragonbait

I think the Dusty ruining pitchers line is way overblown but it's his lack of any idea about how to construct a lineup that's what's going to kill the Nationals. I can't remember who it was, maybe Zack Cozart, but with the Reds he hit a guy leadoff most of the season who was one of the worst hitters in baseball just because he was fast and a leadoff hitter should steal bases.

I think the Dusty ruining pitchers line is way overblown but it's his lack of any idea about how to construct a lineup that's what's going to kill the Nationals. I can't remember who it was, maybe Zack Cozart, but with the Reds he hit a guy leadoff most of the season who was one of the worst hitters in baseball just because he was fast and a leadoff hitter should steal bases.

Drew Stubbs is the guy you are thinking of. In fairness to Dusty, he did win a division in 2010 with Stubbs leading off and Brandon Phillips and Votto behind him so it wasn't like he didn't have on base guys at the top part of his order. Now Stubbs tailed off after that year.

I've never been incredibly impressed with Dusty as a manager but he may be the right fit in Washington. This will almost certainly be his "last hurrah" as a MLB manager. I'm happy to see that there will be an African-American manager in MLB in 2016, that is a good thing.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Nationals are a complete joke; to offer a manager like Bud Black a 1 year deal is ridiculous, than to change it to a 2 year / 2 million dollar deal is insulting. you are then stuck with a manager like Baker. Seams like something the brewers would do 25 years ago, but its no way to act when you HAD the NL east favorite last season and most of the players returning next season.

My god. Leadoff hitters for the Reds in 2012 - the last time they won the division - had a .254 OBP.

Yes but they had Speed!

"I think walks are overrated unless you can run... If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps. But the guy who walks and can't run, most of the time they're clogging up the bases for somebody who can run." Dusty Baker

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Nationals hired Mike Maddux to be their pitching coach, and made him the highest paid pitching coach in the league. Apparently this was decided when Bud Black was going to be the manager. So not only was Baker the 2nd choice, he had no say his one of his top coaches.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2015/11/04/nationals-hire-mike-maddux-as-pitching-coach/

Archived