Brewer Fanatic

Town hall meeting tonight (Thursday, 10/29) at 6:30

markedman5

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
@Brewers: Tune in live at 6:30 pm CT for a special #InsideTheBrewers town hall meeting at Miller Park:

https://t.co/DqU4EdzB9f https://t.co/1wwM37YRuK

From the Q&A:

Counsell was asked about the possibility of playing Jason Rogers at third base and Khris Davis at first base. He said he considered Rogers a first baseman and Davis an outfielder, so don't look for changes there. Counsell added, "Khris Davis is going to be in the lineup every day."

Pretty much what has been said before. Rogers will not play 3B, Davis will not play 1B.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/brewers-david-stearns-craig-counsell-speak-at-open-forum-b99605746z1-338595141.html?ipad=y

Supposedly there were close to 1000 people there.....they were allowed ask questions of CC and Stearns. I'm sure PR had something to do with it but I wouldn't describe it as fluff.

I guess what I mean is I'm sure there were a few good questions asked followed by no answer-answers. Like someone asks if the Brewers are looking to move Davis with the glut of outfield prospects the organization has and it was answered with something like "Davis contributed a lot to our team last season and we look forward to a big 2016 from him but we are excited about the future of some of our prospects too."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Supposedly there were close to 1000 people there.....they were allowed ask questions of CC and Stearns. I'm sure PR had something to do with it but I wouldn't describe it as fluff.

They said a lot of the typical stuff, but here's some things that seemed relevant:

- Jason Rogers fits best at 1B. Club needs to get him into the lineup more if he keeps hitting.

- Khris Davis will be in the line up everyday.

- Davis is an OF. He doesn't play 1B.

- Improving defense is a priority.

- Stearns said pitching is volatile, so you want to get as much of it as possible.

- Noted that the world series teams were built from within - orgs created a plan and stuck with it.

- Braun is doing well after back surgery.

- Brewers won't be chasing Greinke without a major budget increase

- Free agency is not a way to build a team - it's a way supplement your roster.

Here's a nice collection of Twitter comments from BrewCrewBall about the event:

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2015/10/30/9642320/milwaukee-brewers-host-town-hall-meeting

All you can expect is "typical" answers, but it's a chance for fans to ask questions personally. The answers sound pretty comparable to what the press would get. The difference I see is that fans came up with questions (e.g. about Greinke) that the press wouldn't bother with.

I went to a similar gathering in 2003 with Ned Yost, Doug Melvin, and Ulice Payne. Although we didn't walk out with any earth shattering information, it was interesting and fun. Nedly told a story about one of the Brewer players (I don't remember which one) who was deathly afraid of bugs. A group of Brewers "decorated" the player's apartment with loads of plastic insects after one of the wives finagled a key.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I went to the event. Thought it was a really cool experience and yet another perk to being a season seat holder. These are the kinds of things that keep me coming back and renewing my package each season. It was a Thursday night out listening to two intelligent guys (Stearns and Counsell) talk baseball. With these two on the same page I think we are headed toward really good things.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I went to the event. Thought it was a really cool experience and yet another perk to being a season seat holder. These are the kinds of things that keep me coming back and renewing my package each season. It was a Thursday night out listening to two intelligent guys (Stearns and Counsell) talk baseball. With these two on the same page I think we are headed toward really good things.

That's really cool feedback BCF. Sounds like it was a great event. Despite the team on the field likely not being much good next year stuff like this makes me interested in looking into a season ticket package as well.

It went for 90+ minutes, so it's not like they fielded a few softballs and left. They were about as forthright as they could possibly be, given the amount of internal strategy that they didn't (and shouldn't) go in to. I was a little surprised that Stearns talked specifically about Greinke, as I don't believe he has officially opted out of his contract with the Dodgers, what with tampering rules and all.

One particular thing Stearns said that caught my attention was, when a fan asked which one stat was the best to judge a batter (OBP, OPS, etc), Stearns said that not only is there not one, but all statistics need to be looked through the lens of scouting/player evaluation. Only when you have the quantitative stuff mixed with the observational stuff, do you have relevant information. I strongly agree with this.

What my lasting impression is of the event is that Stearns and Counsell seemed to get along really well together and they looked comfortable sitting at home plate and answering questions at length. I take it as a good sign that there seems to be strong rapport/communication between the two, and that they both sounded cognizant of where the organization is, and where it needs to go. Time will obviously tell if their united front and united goals will translate into success or not.

Yeah I agree with you And That. They seem to be hitched together and on the same page as to how they want to turn this thing around. Stearns even joked at one point saying he has been texting Craig so much for information that he hopes he is not getting sick of him. And Counsell in turn said he enjoys it and loves the communication daily.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think the Greinke comment was safe; David said "a" Zack Greinke, and it's not like he contacted Zack expressing interest. Also, he made it clear that a Zack Greinke wasn't in the budget.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The full program is available on the Brewers' website, should you want to see it for yourself: Link!

The hawing household was at the 2003 event that casey remembers, and would have been all in this year had it been possible. The program was supposed to be streamed live, but the audio cut out early on. The Brewers did follow up with everyone who tweeted about it Thursday night with a link to the recording Friday morning, which I thought was pretty customer focused.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

"Khris Davis will be in the line up everyday" does not match up with "Improving defense is a priority."

Meanwhile "Braun is doing well after back surgery" is good news if they can trade him

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

"Khris Davis will be in the line up everyday" does not match up with "Improving defense is a priority."

Meanwhile "Braun is doing well after back surgery" is good news if they can trade him

A priority doesn't mean the only or even the highest priority. Besides there are some spots in the field where you can go with the old "the best defense is a good offense" rule.

A priority doesn't mean the only or even the highest priority. Besides there are some spots in the field where you can go with the old "the best defense is a good offense" rule.

Ya. Davis isn't a Ramirez in LF, he just has a noodle arm. I'd worry more about infield defense that a corner OF'er.

Khris Davis ranked 19th in WAR among LF's in MLB with 400 Plate Appearances or more in 2015. There is potential there. I like that his walk rate went up. He is a liability on defense and his offense would need to significantly improve in 2016 to make up for the defense (in my opinion). In a rebuilding year I suppose it doesn't really matter. If they can increase his perceived "trade value" and trade him eventually to a team that overvalues power (and get a nice return) that would be wonderful longterm.

Yes infield defense is more of a priority. If Arcia is ready to take over at SS and they move Segura to 2B that would certainly help the defense.

As a fan I have gotten used to the Brewers saying one thing and doing another.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived