Brewer Fanatic

2015 World Series: Mets vs. Royals [Royals win World Championship, four games to one]

1992casey
Am I the only one that thinks Colon looks like Gaddafi?

This was my favorite:

http://bachata24k.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Screenshot_2015-04-06-18-58-402.jpg

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Royals vs. Mets, Game 3

Royals

1. SS Alcides Escobar ®
  2. 2B Ben Zobrist (S)
  3. CF Lorenzo Cain ®
  4. 1B Eric Hosmer (L)
  5. 3B Mike Moustakas (L)
  6. C Salvador Pérez ®
  7. LF Alex Gordon (L)
  8. RF Alex Ríos ®
  9. RHP Yordano Ventura ®

Mets

1. RF Curtis Granderson (L)
  2. 3B David Wright ®
  3. 2B Daniel Murphy (L)
  4. CF Yoenis Céspedes ®
  5. 1B Lucas Duda (L)
  6. C Travis d'Arnaud ®
  7. LF Michael Conforto (L)
  8. SS Wilmer Flores ®
  9. RHP Noah Syndergaard (L)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I didn't watch the game last night but I've been reading about Syndergaard throwing at Alcides and then admitting it after the game. There's obviously plenty of opinions from the media and fans but what bothers me the most is how up in arms and acting holier than thou the Royals are being about it when you know with 100% certainty that they would have the same attitude the Mets have if the roles were reversed.

I didn't watch the game last night but I've been reading about Syndergaard throwing at Alcides and then admitting it after the game. There's obviously plenty of opinions from the media and fans but what bothers me the most is how up in arms and acting holier than thou the Royals are being about it when you know with 100% certainty that they would have the same attitude the Mets have if the roles were reversed.

No kidding.

Before the series started I was rooting for the Mets (David Wright is an easy guy to root for) and I'm sticking with it. I'm hoping this series goes 7 games, too.

Royals vs. Mets, Game 4

Royals

1. SS Alcides Escobar ®
  2. 2B Ben Zobrist (S)
  3. CF Lorenzo Cain ®
  4. 1B Eric Hosmer (L)
  5. 3B Mike Moustakas (L)
  6. C Salvador Pérez ®
  7. LF Alex Gordon (L)
  8. RF Alex Ríos ®
  9. RHP Chris Young ®

Mets

2. 3B David Wright ®
  3. 2B Daniel Murphy (L)
  4. CF Yoenis Céspedes ®
  5. 1B Lucas Duda (L)
  6. C Travis d'Arnaud ®
  8. SS Wilmer Flores ®
  9. LHP Steven Matz ®

Tough game last night for NY. Puts in perspective how quickly the ebb and flow of baseball really is with Murphy being such a stud during the NLCS against the Cubs but perhaps costing his team last night and being the goat in Game 5 of the World Series.

Royals vs. Mets, Game 5

Royals

1. SS Alcides Escobar ®
  2. 2B Ben Zobrist (S)
  3. CF Lorenzo Cain ®
  4. 1B Eric Hosmer (L)
  5. 3B Mike Moustakas (L)
  6. C Salvador Pérez ®
  7. LF Alex Gordon (L)
  8. RF Alex Ríos ®
  9. RHP Edinson Vólquez ®

Mets

2. 3B David Wright ®
  3. 2B Daniel Murphy (L)
  4. CF Yoenis Céspedes ®
  5. 1B Lucas Duda (L)
  6. C Travis d'Arnaud ®
  8. SS Wilmer Flores ®
  9. RHP Matt Harvey ®

The Mets have a kind of unique situation when it comes to the handedness of their postseason starters. Matt Harvey is the only one who throws and bats with the same hand (right).

The rest:

Jacob deGrom … Bats: Left, Throws: Right

Noah Syndergaard … Bats: Left, Throws: Right

Steven Matz … Bats: Right, Throws: Left

I'd submit that one out of four isn't unusual, especially if the guy throws righty and bats lefty. Three out of four becomes interesting.

The Mets have a kind of unique situation when it comes to the handedness of their postseason starters. Matt Harvey is the only one who throws and bats with the same hand (right).

The rest:

Jacob deGrom … Bats: Left, Throws: Right

Noah Syndergaard … Bats: Left, Throws: Right

Steven Matz … Bats: Right, Throws: Left

I'd submit that one out of four isn't unusual, especially if the guy throws righty and bats lefty. Three out of four becomes interesting.

If I had time I would actually do some research but my casual observation is this is rather common among pitchers. Especially lefty pitchers hitting right handed moreso than position players do.

These announcers are idiots. Praising Hosmer's baserunning repeatedly on a play where he was DEAD with a decent throw. Duda throws the ball into the first row, of course he's going to be safe. Why the over-the-top accolades for the base running? He should have been out by a mile. Stupid.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Yeah, it was a nice respite in game 1 when FOX was forced to give us the international broadcasting team for a couple of innings.

I more or less agree with valpo's assessment. I think Hosmer deserves credit as a throw would have had to be perfect. But the gushing over Hosmer was over the top. I have no issue with gushing, but the guys should have gushed over the excitement involving the play as a whole and the tying run.

BTW, Collins should have stuck to his initial decision to pull Harvey.

I don't want to live in a world where Ned has a ring as a manager.

Yeah, I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it really, really, really does. Sigh. Boo. Expletive. Just go away Ned. Moron.

EDIT: I hate sports.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Wow. What is the hatred for Ned and the Royals? Go Royals! Glad they won it. Be mad at Melvin for trading 2 players who ends up being 2 of the best on the Royals for 1 all in year. But mad at the Royals for playing great ball and never going away ... OK. I am glad Ned won it. Because it shows that manager just doesn't really matter that much. Especially when you have that good of a bullpen

Because it shows that manager just doesn't really matter that much.

The statheads here have told us that in general, the manager doesn't mean that much. However, at the end of Ned's tenure here, they said that his goofball moves were starting to add up to a point that was pretty significant statistically. In other words, he was reaching the extreme.

The Royals' current team seems to be mostly Ned-proof.

The statheads here have told us that in general, the manager doesn't mean that much. However, at the end of Ned's tenure here, they said that his goofball moves were starting to add up to a point that was pretty significant statistically. In other words, he was reaching the extreme.

A good bullpen will do that for any manager. I saw Ned brought in his closer an inning early in one of the games. It was against the bottom of the order though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Love the small market win. Neutral on Ned...good for him though. Really happy for a guy like Sveum...maybe he gets a better shot now. I always liked Cain too. Heck, if KC can do it...why can't the Brewers! A team with no weak spots, but no superstars. Much like the Giants, it seems like the trend.

Love the fact that St. Louis is the second best team in Missouri with a former Brewers catcher as their manager...even after 100 wins.

Another thing making the Royals Ned-proof is that he doesn't need to platoon anyone, which means that he doesn't need to pinch hit much.

Note that in the previous game, a lot of eyebrows were raised when Ned had Morales hit for the pitcher with two outs relatively early in the game. That's kind of the opposite of some of the moves he'd make here, where he'd save guys for "opportunities" later in the game that stood a good chance of never happening.

Love the small market win. Neutral on Ned...good for him though. Really happy for a guy like Sveum...maybe he gets a better shot now. I always liked Cain too. Heck, if KC can do it...why can't the Brewers! A team with no weak spots, but no superstars. Much like the Giants, it seems like the trend.

Love the fact that St. Louis is the second best team in Missouri with a former Brewers catcher as their manager...even after 100 wins.

The catapult that put the Royals from ascending and into a contender was trading their best player (Greinke) for a load of players. 2 of those players turn into studs.

It also helped that pretty much everything went well for them outside of Greg Holland being on the DL. Things like previous top 5 picks played great (Hosmer, Moustakas), all trades panning out (Cueto, Zobrist, Davis), guys drafted long ago came up big (Gordon), international picks (Perez-2006, Ventura-2008, Herrerra - 2006), free agents played well (Rios, Morales, Volquez)

The Royals 2015 championship started in 2006 when they brought Moore in. So maybe the Brewers can do it. Maybe Stearns can bring a championship to Milwaukee but can the fans wait 10 years while watching the Brewers trade away their best players to help build for the future?

The statheads here told us that in general, the manager doesn't mean that much. However, at the end of Ned's tenure here, they said that his goofball moves were starting to add up to a point that was pretty significant statistically. In other words, he was reaching the extreme.

A good bullpen will do that for any manager. I saw Ned brought in his closer an inning early in one of the games. It was against the bottom of the order though.

The Mets brought their closer in during the 8th for two of the games, so that kind of move is not out of the ordinary for the World Series. Granted it back-fired on the Mets, so the difference between a smart move and a dumb move by the manager is how well it works out.

Archived