Brewer Fanatic

Coaching changes: Coles/Sedar return, others out; Latest: Tunnell to return too (post 57)

markedman5
Below is an interesting BA article written in the late '90s about Murphy. I'm guessing he's mellowed out a bit since his college coaching days, but hopefully not too much. I think he'd compliment Counsell well on the bench.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/black-hat-pat-arizona-states-pat-murphy-college-baseballs-notorious-coach/

I guess it would continue the hard-ass/nice guy merry go round they've been on. I hope he's mellowed since then, the article makes him sound like a total clown.

Maybe he can be on the bench only when we play the Cardinals. St. Louis really needs a guy like him in the other dugout every game.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rickh150, I notice that you were there in April, possibly on days when the team played games. You might have seen something completely different in February.

Good point... I was in Maryvale at a morning practice BEFORE a road game later in the afternoon.

I hope the atmosphere was more educational in Feb.

Sedar is hard to peg. People blame him for running wild, then say he's too conservative. Realistically, the Brewers were awful at hitting in the first half. They couldn't string together singles and didn't walk enough, so that explains why the steal attempts were down....can't steal first.

• 3 weeks later...

When I think of Sedar I feel there is too much stuff like the below play. He sends runners when you should NEVER send someone if there is any chance he could be out. This was all Sedar too as Gomez was slowing down. Our fastest runner gets to third with no outs and we nearly get him out at home...no excuse for that kind of thing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/63817564/v111115483/the-white-sox-challenge-a-safe-call-at-home-plate-after-carlos-gomez-triples-and-scores-on-an-error-in-the-bottom-of-the-5th/?game_pk=414126

I really think Sedar helps the Brewers a whole heckuva lot more than he hurts them. I would not exactly point fingers at Ed Sedar. Sedar works very hard at his craft. Tunnell is a true class act and an excellent veteran presence among the pitching coaches staff.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and The Brewer Nation report the return of bullpen coach Lee Tunnell.

Looks as if they wanted him back all along but didn't want to force him on the new pitching coach. Johnson apparently approved so he's back. Good news as Tunnell has done a fine job.

Just to aid in navigation, we have separate topics for Johnson and Murphy:

Brewers Have Their New Pitching Coach - Cubs' Minor League Pitching Coordinator Derek Johnson

Pat Murphy agrees to Bench Coach Position

It looks like there are still a couple more positions to fill, including first base coach. We can go with the flow as far as topic placement when the time comes.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived