Brewer Fanatic

Coaching changes: Coles/Sedar return, others out; Latest: Tunnell to return too (post 57)

markedman5
There have been many reports that Strearns and CC have talked daily since the hiring and that they seem to have a pretty good relationship already.

I imagine that the front office changes may take a bit more time. I certainly wouldn't mind Reid Nichols getting shown the door after 13 years.

I think him and Ash will be gone. Minasian & Montgomory are two highly regarded, younger, top tier type of front office personal. No shock, that that the club wants to keep them. Montgomory has interviewed for GM jobs last year and it won't be long before Minasian starts to get some calls. Ash & Nichols are guys who have been here a long time, are older, and guys we need to move on from. Wouldn't shock me to see Zack or Ray promoted to Assistant GM if Stearns stays in house (more likely Minasian while Ray focuses in on rebuilding through draft with his top 5 pick

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we blame Kranitz/Tunnell or do we place blame on the front office, or a little of both? Personally I think Kranitz & Tunnell have done a tremendous job with sub-par talent. I don't have a problem with Stearns cleaning house but I think the team ERA could have been much much worse with lesser coaching

I'd agree with Tunnell but disagree with Kranitz. Peralta progressed greatly last year but regressed this year. Why were our most-proven SPs coming into this season unable to make adjustments & turn things around when they kept going so badly? That's on Kranitz, much like the hitting equivalent of that last year was on Johnny Narron (deservedly so, IMO).

It would be hard to turn toward the future while bringing back all the same guys from the past. And it would be hard to expect great things from Counsell and Stearns while shackling them to Roenicke's coaching staff.

And so it goes...

I suspect 90 percent of the job as a coach involves stuff fans never see. So it's hard for me to judge any of the coaches as being great or terrible. We'll see who are the new names and faces.

Considering all we see from a none base coach is them simply watching the game with their hands in their Brewer hoodies or a few visits to the mound...I think 98% is fair to say. Fans see absolutely nothing these coaches do. All the film, scouting reports, teaching, and etc. I trust Counsell kept the ones he has most faith and trust in.

Sedat is a lifer, think he has been with organization for 23 straight years as a player, minor league instructor/manager, and MLB coach. Thing with Sedar is he is a teacher/coach. He use to work with all the low level guys in rookie ball, he is very passionate, personable, and a teacher and that's what they are looking for.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Sedar staying is nice but he needs to either be put back at 1B or given another position. He just made too many very poor choices in sending runners during the season. Can't have that. Runs are too important for silly stuff like that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I suspect 90 percent of the job as a coach involves stuff fans never see.

At least 90%. Probably closer to 98%

I would also say 90% of evaluating coaches is subjective. Very difficult to say coach x is a "bad" coach or "good" coach. It's almost never that simple. But sometimes there's nothing to lose by making some changes, and this one of those times.

Below is an interesting BA article written in the late '90s about Murphy. I'm guessing he's mellowed out a bit since his college coaching days, but hopefully not too much. I think he'd compliment Counsell well on the bench.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/black-hat-pat-arizona-states-pat-murphy-college-baseballs-notorious-coach/

In Spring Training, I went to two Brewers practices..... Not batting practice. There I saw the coaches doing very little. They weren't vocal. A few talked to players privately. I guess when I think of coaching, I think of my former coaches at all different levels. All were especially vocal during practice, if for nothing else than to keep up energy and enthusiasm. Now, I haven't been to other major league practices (perhaps some here have) but I came away very discouraged by the lack of hustle, talk, or meaningful drills.

Here I gave a summary on the days....

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=32476&p=933667#p933823

In Spring Training, I went to two Brewers practices..... Not batting practice. There I saw the coaches doing very little. They weren't vocal. A few talked to players privately. I guess when I think of coaching, I think of my former coaches at all different levels. All were especially vocal during practice, if for nothing else than to keep up energy and enthusiasm. Now, I haven't been to other major league practices (perhaps some here have) but I came away very discouraged by the lack of hustle, talk, or meaningful drills.

Pretty sure that's just how baseball is. It's a laid back sport.

rickh150, I notice that you were there in April, possibly on days when the team played games. You might have seen something completely different in February.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Considering all we see from a none base coach is them simply watching the game with their hands in their Brewer hoodies or a few visits to the mound...I think 98% is fair to say. Fans see absolutely nothing these coaches do. All the film, scouting reports, teaching, and etc. I trust Counsell kept the ones he has most faith and trust in.

Sedat is a lifer, think he has been with organization for 23 straight years as a player, minor league instructor/manager, and MLB coach. Thing with Sedar is he is a teacher/coach. He use to work with all the low level guys in rookie ball, he is very passionate, personable, and a teacher and that's what they are looking for.

All that could be true, and if so, just get him away from 3B...

Put him anyplace else, but we need a guy there who at the very least has some common sense.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

According to Wikipedia (which likely beats my memory), Sedar became third base coach the year Ron Roenicke was hired. Roenicke's philosophies may be the cause of some of the habits we complain about. Starting the season with Counsell and his more conservative baserunning philosophy could make a difference in what we see.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

According to Wikipedia (which likely beats my memory), Sedar became third base coach the year Ron Roenicke was hired. Roenicke's philosophies may be the cause of some of the habits we complain about. Starting the season with Counsell and his more conservative baserunning philosophy could make a difference in what we see.

The Brewers didn't run wild the last two years and Sedar was manning the 3rd base box. Your theory is possible, but it sounds unlikely to actually happen. Maybe it is a bad habit Reonicke caused...maybe.

Third base coaches in general are perceived by fans as incompetent all around baseball because the mistakes are all anyone remembers especially on losing teams. A third base coach that never has a player thrown out at home is not a good third base coach because he's probably costing his team runs.

I've worked in commercial credit my entire career. The guy extending credit who never has any bad debts, is probably costing his company money because he's too cautious. Same goes for coaching 3B. Finding the fine line takes skill and thick skin because every time in my case a balance is written off to bad debt, somebody's going to wonder why regardless and every time a runner gets thrown out at the plate, it's the third base coach that takes the heat.

I'm a 3rd Base Coach. I even get paid to do it. We have dozens of fans at our games, however, not tens of thousands. JohnBriggs12 is correct, there is a fine line there. You want to put pressure on the defense, you want to be aggressive
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Below is an interesting BA article written in the late '90s about Murphy. I'm guessing he's mellowed out a bit since his college coaching days, but hopefully not too much. I think he'd compliment Counsell well on the bench.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/black-hat-pat-arizona-states-pat-murphy-college-baseballs-notorious-coach/

I guess it would continue the hard-ass/nice guy merry go round they've been on. I hope he's mellowed since then, the article makes him sound like a total clown.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Do any of the analytics sites rate 3rd base coaches? I would think someone would have developed a metric by now.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived