Brewer Fanatic

Coaching changes: Coles/Sedar return, others out; Latest: Tunnell to return too (post 57)

markedman5

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Sedar a lifer!

@Haudricourt: #Brewers make coaching moves. Coles and Sedar return. Everyone else out.

It's truly amazing isn't it? I like the shakeup. I want to be all in on CC and Stearns. So let them pick their staff.

The 1B and 3B coaches have other jobs, so those responsibilities may take priority over which base they coach.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

So we are keeping Windmill Eddie? That is disappointing to say the least.

If I was able to pick one coach to go, he would have been the one, yet he is one of only a couple that are staying...

*sigh*

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

they didnt waste much time with those changes, lol

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

they didnt waste much time with those changes, lol

I like that. It lets guys from other organizations know that there are positions open, hopefully allowing us to get the best people for the positions. It also gives the guys we let go more time to find another job. These are all people with bills to pay and families to feed, so it's good to give them the chance to find a new job before other positions start filling up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Not overly surprised. This is Stearns first real day in the GM role and he's not wasting time implementing the changes he wants to his team. It's going to be interesting to see how he shapes the roster and what moves he'll make. He's definitely got at least a few worthwhile trade chips still and I don't expect him to go balls deep into free agency.

I have mixed thoughts. Long time coming for Kranitz, and I don't mind the wider housecleaning. Then again, I wonder as long as you're cleaning house to this degree, just clean out everyone (including CC) and start fresh. But we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, and if Stearns honestly wants CC, that's fine by me for another year. But I hope it isn't just because Melvin gave CC his blessing before he stepped down and Stearns has no control over it.

There have been many reports that Strearns and CC have talked daily since the hiring and that they seem to have a pretty good relationship already.

I imagine that the front office changes may take a bit more time. I certainly wouldn't mind Reid Nichols getting shown the door after 13 years.

Glad Kranitz is going to say the least, but very surprised that Tunnell and Guerrero are gone. Smith and Jeffress developed into two of the top setup men in the league, as well as Blazek before he got hurt. The bullpen was perhaps the only strength of the team.

I hope this is a case like the Cubs last year where they fired someone who didn't necessarily deserve to be fired because they knew they could get someone better.

Not overly surprised. This is Stearns first real day in the GM role and he's not wasting time implementing the changes he wants to his team. It's going to be interesting to see how he shapes the roster and what moves he'll make. He's definitely got at least a few worthwhile trade chips still and I don't expect him to go balls deep into free agency.

Isn't the manager is usually responsible for assembling his staff? I hope Stearns leaves that sort of thing to the manager. After all Counsell is the one who has to work with them. Not to mention it's his job on the line if the coaches fail. It would also explain why there was no waiting around after the season to decide who stayed and who left. Stearns is just starting to know the entire organization's staff so I am not sure he could have made those evaluations so quickly. Counsell knew all the needed to by now so no need to wait.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

There have been many reports that Strearns and CC have talked daily since the hiring and that they seem to have a pretty good relationship already.

We've gotten that from the horses' mouths, directly from David and Craig.

I think that coaching hires are usually a collaborative effort involving both the field manager and GM.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The guys fired were all Roenicke guys. They knew they were goners back in May. Sedar's a Brewer lifer sort of like Kuenn was back in the day. My guess is he goes back to 1B. Lets hope Counsell can steal Bosio away from the Cubs. Pat Murphy's a lock to be bench coach isn't he?

Tunnell's the one surprise to me. I thought he was an outstanding bullpen coach and might deserve a look as pitching coach.

Glad Kranitz is going to say the least, but very surprised that Tunnell and Guerrero are gone. Smith and Jeffress developed into two of the top setup men in the league, as well as Blazek before he got hurt. The bullpen was perhaps the only strength of the team.

I hope this is a case like the Cubs last year where they fired someone who didn't necessarily deserve to be fired because they knew they could get someone better.

Completely agree on Tunnell. He should get a pitching coach job somewhere.

Tunnell seemed to have a good rep as a minor league instructor. Maybe that's all for his John Axford reclamation project. Seems he might be a good candidate to stay somewhere in the organization. Who knows...these guys know what's really going on and need to get people in that are on board with how they want things done. Hopefully they find those types.

Do we blame Kranitz/Tunnell or do we place blame on the front office, or a little of both? Personally I think Kranitz & Tunnell have done a tremendous job with sub-par talent. I don't have a problem with Stearns cleaning house but I think the team ERA could have been much much worse with lesser coaching
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Not sure if this was mentioned on this board already, but Pat Murphy was fired by the Padres. Wouldn't surprise me to see him end up on Counsell's staff.

This is a given. He was Counsell's college coach and they are buddies. Not sure why Sedar and Coles were kept around.

Archived