Brewer Fanatic

MLB considering expansion to Mexico, Montreal

nate82

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mexico City certainly has the population and I would think the financial interests to support a team but their road trips would be terrible. They would have 6+ hour flights away from a lot of other cities.

Montreal already has an MLB-ish quality stadium and it certainly seems like there is public support.

Other than Monterrey, I think all the other cities already have AAA teams, maybe not in New Jersey though.

In July Manfred said Montreal would have to agree to build a new stadium in order to be considered. Another thing that I think could be difficult for a team in Mexico would be in getting players to play for them. Not just MLB but 5 levels of minor leagues. Then again, who knows, maybe it would be a non-issue. It would certainly be interesting.

I believe I read that a Mexico City team would have an easier travel schedule than the Mariners, who currently have the worst.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Manfred's short list is Montreal, Charlotte, Portland, Vegas, OK City, San Antonio, New Jersey, Mexico City and Monterrey. So if it were to be two from this list, what would be both viable and tolerable?

1. Portland

2. Charlotte

3. Montreal

4. San Antonio

5. Monterrey

6. Mexico City

7. Vegas

8. OKC

9. New Jersey

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In July Manfred said Montreal would have to agree to build a new stadium in order to be considered. Another thing that I think could be difficult for a team in Mexico would be in getting players to play for them. Not just MLB but 5 levels of minor leagues. Then again, who knows, maybe it would be a non-issue. It would certainly be interesting.

That, to me, is a bigger sticking point than anything else. It's one thing for players to play and live in say Toronto for six months out of the year (well, actually 3 months, as you're on the road 3 months). But to live and play in Mexico City? I can imagine that would be a really tough FA draw, to be honest.

Since this discussion is generating a significant number of responses, I've split it off into its own thread.

Mexico City is a great place, and I don't think there'd be any issue generating revenue. But attracting players could be tough. Besides the culture being foreign to so many players, they'd have to take precautions with food and water on a daily basis. And there's also road space rationing (if they're nuts enough to want to drive at all).

I've known a few people who lived in Mexico City and loved it. Yes, there's a level of corruption, crime and violence that's going to freak out people (and rightly so). But it's a massive international metropolitan city, and with the bad you get the good (history, arts, cuisine). It's not like players would live and work in massive slums surrounded by gangs. Yes, there are levels of security you need to take that you might not in the U.S., even more so for a prominent athlete. The distance or culture is going to keep some people away - just as the distance or culture is going to keep people away from Milwaukee or Seattle or Toronto or wherever.

A team in Mexico is going to immediately acquire a massive fan base. Also, baseball can only expand so much in the US markets - steps in Latin America are bold, but obvious.

As for the majors adding a couple of more teams, that means 50 more big league jobs for the players. They aren't going to argue about that. As noted, some people won't want to play there, but in the end, a million dollar plus job is a pretty sweet gig, even if you have to travel a lot and work three months out of the year in a foreign country. Some players (and not just the Latin American players) may even embrace the opportunity.

Actually I think Mexico City would be a big draw to a lot of Latino players. There's only so many spots, they might have to overpay a bit for FA but so do we.

This. Even though most Latin players are from DR I would think Mexico City would be a huge draw for them and they might even have an advantage with Latin free agents. I also think it could potentially help spur interest in the game among the ever growing Mexican population in the US. I know at my high school there were a lot of Mexican kids but only one that went out for the baseball team.

A team in Mexico is going to immediately acquire a massive fan base. Also, baseball can only expand so much in the US markets - steps in Latin America are bold, but obvious.

I think it's inevitable that MLB eventually expand to Mexico, and Mexico City's immense population would seem to make it the logical choice. That team would immediately have more fans than any team other than maybe the Yankees.

As to free agency, I would think a lot of Spanish-speaking players would like to play in Mexico, giving them an advantage for many of the players on the market each year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If they expand, please add the DH to the NL as well. So sick of having different rules for different leagues.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why is Montreal the only Canadian option? Is it because of the Expos? I guess I dont understand why Vancouver wouldnt get a shot with an MLB team over Montreal.

In the US, Charlotte and Vegas make the most sense to me. I mean, the freaking NHL has considered Vegas for expansion, how MLB has never tapped that market for a pro team surprises me. Charlotte makes sense because outside of Atlanta, there are no other MLB franchises near by. I have a lot of friends who live down there who go to college/MiLB games all the time in Charlotte region (heck, they drive 2 - 3 hours after work during the week sometimes), so I think it would be sustainable.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

It might matter that Vancouver is within 3 hours of Seattle. Montreal is 5 hours from Boston and 6 hours from New York, plus there's so much population in that area that existing teams aren't likely to be hurt.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about safety in Mexico City other than taking the precautions you'd take in any city.

Mexico City Myths Debunked

I'd be more concerned about getting a plumber or electrician when you need one. :)

It might matter that Vancouver is within 3 hours of Seattle. Montreal is 5 hours from Boston and 6 hours from New York, plus there's so much population in that area that existing teams aren't likely to be hurt.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about safety in Mexico City other than taking the precautions you'd take in any city.

Mexico City Myths Debunked

I'd be more concerned about getting a plumber or electrician when you need one. :)

you're right, it might matter, but Vancouver makes more sense than Montreal if you're also thinking about West coast teams vs East coast teams.

Would a Mexican team be paid in Peso's, or US dollars? Would currency exchange rate play into it? I know it plays into the NHL quiet a bit, especially when discussing salary cap issues and what not.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Would a Mexican team be paid in Peso's, or US dollars? Would currency exchange rate play into it? I know it plays into the NHL quiet a bit, especially when discussing salary cap issues and what not.

Blue Jays get paid in Canadian dollars, so I would guess yes (at least they used to because I remember reading an article on it years ago when the Canadian dollar strengthened against the US dollar). If that's a concern for a potential free agent, they could easily hedge against currency fluctuation on a long-term deal. Personally, I'd be more concerned about playing in a high tax state vs a low tax state than I would about being paid in a foreign currency.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Why is Montreal the only Canadian option? Is it because of the Expos? I guess I dont understand why Vancouver wouldnt get a shot with an MLB team over Montreal.

Montreal is far bigger than Vancouver (3.8M vs 2.3M), plus Montreal can (I'm guessing) draw on support from Ottawa and Quebec City, which are both about 120 and 160 miles away, respectively. That adds close to another 2M people to your potential market.

And as noted, I'm wondering if Vancouver isn't considered Seattle's territory.

I'd love for the MLB to go 8 four team divisions. Then up the playoffs to six teams and add the DH to the NL and that's my ideal scenario

As far as expansion options go I wonder how viable Vegas would be. I believed they'd overtake Miwaukee as the smallest tv market in the game. They'd also be competing with A LOT of other entertainment options. I just wonder how big of a fan base they'd have.

Montreal I don't like. I guess I just have issues giving a team to a city that didn't support the last one they had. And it's not like they lost the team 40 years ago. It was barely over a decade.

Mexico City. My main question is this. The current exchange rate is something like 20 pesos to one dollar. Obviously fans would pay for tickets and concessions with pesos. Would MLB have to somehow supplement the teams income since they'd essentially need to make them viable? I guess I don't understand how that would work.

My top three cities, in order, would be Portland, Charlotte, and then San Antonio. Ideally MLB could get more teams into the heart of the country to cities line OK City or even Salt Lake City/Provo but they don't seem to be in the running.

If you go strictly by population, Mexico City and Montreal are the largest metro areas in North America without an MLB team. Of course there are other factors in play. Would Montreal support a team after what happened with the Expos?

The Blue Jays are paid in US dollars, and I think the Canadian teams always have been. The issue is that most of their revenues are generated in Canadian dollars. There's no way around that.

MLSE, Blue Jays deal with dollar dive

There was a nice article rating expansion possibilities that was written a few months ago; it may have been posted here. Besides population, it considered demographics. I think that Austin was rated as a better choice than San Antonio.

I think that better revenue sharing all around would be a good idea. The huge markets already have teams. Most US possibilities are smaller market, and non-US markets have to deal with local currency. 50 more MLB jobs might entice the players to agree to greater revenue sharing.

Montreal I don't like. I guess I just have issues giving a team to a city that didn't support the last one they had. And it's not like they lost the team 40 years ago. It was barely over a decade.

It's also been said that baseball didn't support Montreal. They were on their way to the playoffs when the strike ended the 94 season. They never recovered from that.

Archived