Brewer Fanatic

Mark A interview

markedman5

Seems like he is going to let Stearns be the decision maker.....time will tell. Pretty honest assessment of himself too.......@Haudricourt: #Brewers owner Mark Attanasio on waiting to reboot: "In my thirst to compete, maybe we ended up in the middle just a little too often."

As much as it pains me to say this, it feels like that MA will give Stearns a much longer leash because he's "his guy", as opposed to Melvin who he inherited from the previous regime. I think Gord is as good as gone, unless he's been hiding analytics acumen from Doug Melvin all these years. Will be interesting to see how much cleaning house Stearns does and how much involvement Melvin has past the transition period.

Nice to see MA own up for his goal of having the team competitive rather than winning it all, but hindsight and all that. On the other hand, I can't see him being too regretful as I think it was necessary to give the franchise some financial stability to make it capable of carrying through lean years.

Here's a similar article based on a conversation with Doug Melvin.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/no-easy-answers-for-what-went-wrong-for-brewers-melvin-says-b99588463z1-330545731.html

It seems that Melvin, Attanasio, and Stearns are pretty much on the same page.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Doug emphasized patience.

The biggest challenge is probably going to be patience. It's hard to be patient at times. This game requires patience but we live in an impatient world.

They need to resist the temptation to trade prospects for veterans, at least to the point where it empties out the pipeline. That might make for a longer retooling, but it's also something that could potentially sustain a longer run. Replenishing the farm when the opportunity arises wouldn't be a bad idea either. There's been precious little of that until recently.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Can't remember the last time a team built to win a world series actually won one. It is usually the team built fr solid depth that wins it. Not the team that looks one piece away that signs the big FA to win it all.

The Nationals and Tigers are example of teams built to win a wild series. giants and Cardinals are built for the playoffs. who has won more?

Doug emphasized patience.

The biggest challenge is probably going to be patience. It's hard to be patient at times. This game requires patience but we live in an impatient world.

They need to resist the temptation to trade prospects for veterans, at least to the point where it empties out the pipeline. That might make for a longer retooling, but it's also something that could potentially sustain a longer run. Replenishing the farm when the opportunity arises wouldn't be a bad idea either. There's been precious little of that until recently.

That's a great statement by Melvin. The high profile nature of professional sports (and the fickle nature of fans and the media) makes it a lot harder to make some of the moves a GM might want to make.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

As much as it pains me to say this, it feels like that MA will give Stearns a much longer leash because he's "his guy", as opposed to Melvin who he inherited from the previous regime.

A longer leash than he gave Melvin? Melvin was around a lot longer than he should have been. (This can be argued all day long)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It seems that Melvin, Attanasio, and Stearns are pretty much on the same page.

It's a good thing to be on the same page, same philosophy. It gets interesting when decisions actually need to be made, and that's when consensus is more of a problem than a positive. Add CC to the mix, and the danger is having at least four people involved in the decision making tree.

Not saying this whole arrangement is doomed or anything, but something they need to get a handle on. Who makes the decisions? Mark A's answer would be Stearns, but is it really?

Archived