Brewer Fanatic

any 2006 regrets?

The one player who I kept hoping we'd take was Brett Anderson. Didn't the Dbacks land him in round 3? He just tossed another gem last night and is off to a fast start.

Colby or others, do you have any regrets from last year's Brewers' draft? Any still making you scratch your head?

mine is that exact pick you were talking about, brett anderson. the cardinals took brad furnish 54th and brett anderson went to the d-backs with the next pick at 55. the cardinals message board was going nuts as soon as the furnish pick was made and we were all saying if you want to take a lefty why don't you take anderson and then the next pick there he goes. now i realize he got a little over slot, but when you can get a first round talent with your 3rd pick you pay the extra money. i guess if they would have spent the money there they wouldn't have been able to get guys like tommy pham, jon edwards, and others that they gave more than slot to in the later rounds, so we will have to see how that works out.

i also thought we reached a little for ottavino, but he has been pretty good so far and i think he is better than people were giving him credit for at the time of the draft. chris perez is going to be a steal at 43.

Brett Anderson is a good call DHonks. I know Blazer is/was a big fan of his as well. So many people/scouts were somewhat down on him since his conditioning and how he fielded his position was in question, but the kid definitely knew/knows how to pitch.

I was a big Jon Jay fan last year, and I was a little bummed when a division rival plucked him up. I would be curious to hear about fewgoodcards opinion of his selection, since he chimed in on Anderson as well, but the guy can hit, even if he's off to a slow start this year.

David Huff was a guy I liked last year, but I can't argue with the Brewers taking the live arm in Jeffress at #16.

I'm a little surprised to see a Dodgers fan comment about wanting Lincecum over Kershaw. I thought the Kershaw pick was one most Dodgers fans supported, but Lincecum appears to be ready for the big leagues, so I can see any fan of a team that passed on him somewhat upset that they did.

No real opinion on the matter, but were any of you Brewer fans interested in Daniel Bard last year?

If the Brewers hadn't picked Jeffress, wasn't Bard sort of considered the best college pitcher available?

The only reason I even bring this up is that I noticed that Bard topped the "Not So Hot List" this past week.

Yeah, I don't remember anybody clamoring for him either. I was just trying to think if there was a college pitcher who, with 20/20 hindsight, may have been a better pick than Jeffress. And I really can't come up with anybody for the 1st round off the top of my head.

Quote:
I'm a little surprised to see a Dodgers fan comment about wanting Lincecum over Kershaw. I thought the Kershaw pick was one most Dodgers fans supported, but Lincecum appears to be ready for the big leagues, so I can see any fan of a team that passed on him somewhat upset that they did.

i was always working under the assumption lincecum wasnt going to last beyond the 6th pick. dont get me wrong, i love kershaw but lincecum is 2007 ready to make a significant impact and who knows how long its going to take kershaw to climb the minor league ladder.

colby, i like the jay pick. he may not have much power, but he is a solid hitter and should fill the gaps with plenty of doubles. you can't really argue with getting a guy with his pure hitting skills with the last pick in the 2nd round. i think he'll snap out of his funk, but i am a little worried about his hitch in his swing being the cause of his problems. he recently struck out 7 times in a 3 game stretch and i am wondering if AA pitchers are pounding fastballs in under his hands and he is having trouble catching up.

i know the cardinals are really high on him, and derrick goold who writes for the st. louis newspaper says some within the organization believe he could win a batting title. i don't expect him to be that good, but he should at least be a decent 4th outfielder and could be a starter in left if he starts stealing more bases.

Anderson was the HS pitcher who was most ready to pitch in pro ball.

By that I mean he's so polished and has such good command that he's going to have a lot of success right away.

When you can get a guy like that in round 2 you should jump all over him IMO. The Brewers chose to go with the very raw but athletic guy in Brent Brewer.

I hope it doesn't come back to bite them.

I think most people are saying they would have liked to see Anderson as the Brewers first-round pick. He was considered to be a first-round pick (as his signing bonus showed) until conditioning issues seemed to cause him to fall a little bit.

Quote:
Wasn't Anderson picked at #55, before the Brewers took Brewer at #60?

Yes.

My comparison of Brewer to him was a poor one in terms of draft order.

He was gone when the Brewers picked the second round. My comment was to emphasize the fact that the D-back got a 1st round talent in the second round.

I would have taken Anderson instead of Jeffress.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived