Brewer Fanatic

What Should the Crew do this Offseason?

Crash2303

for my 2 cents, I would like to see them do the following:

1) Trade Adam Lind & K-Rod (ideally for high level top tier 3B prospect)

2) Keep Matt Garza and hope he rebounds to boost his trade value- and flip him him regardless at the trade deadline next summer.

3) keep Braun in OF for one more season. this will allow the brewers to see what they have in Jason Rogers-1B, Shane Peterson-1B/5thOF

4) keep Khris Davis to give Phillips, Roache, Wren, Reed, & Taylor time to develop in the minors, and see if he breaks out next year.

5) Keep Santana starting in CF, but keep Peterson & Guez who can play their too, when Braun inevitably gets hurt.

6) Keep Herrera & Perez for roster flexibility and to see what you have in Perez and to allow Rivera & Arcia to develop in AAA

2016 TRADE DEADLINE

1) Trade Matt Garza

2) Trade wither Gennett or Segura and bring up Yadiel Rivera and a young pitcher

VISUAL 2016 ROSTER

SS- Jean Segura [trade at deadline or Gennett]

C- Jonathan LuCroy / Martin Maldonado

RF- Ryan Braun / Shane Peterson-1B/OF

CF- Domingo Santana / Ben Guez-OF

LF- Khris Davis

1B- Jason Rogers

3B- Hernan Perez / Elian Herrera-UI

2B- Scooter Gennett / Luis Sardinas-UI

------------------------

SP- Jimmy Nelson

SP- Wily Peralta

SP- Taylor Jungmann

SP- Matt Garza [trade at deadline]

SP- Zach Davies

-------------------------

RP- Corey Knebel

RP- Will Smith

RP- Michael Blazek

RP- Jeremy Jeffress

RP- Tyler Thornburg

RP- David Goforth

RP- Ariel Pena

AAA trade callus- Yadiel Rivera & Tyler Cravy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW- here are the succeeding moves I would do for the following offseason in 2016-2017, because they tie in directly to the plan surrounding the moves I'd make this offseason:

1) Trade other half of Segura (2018FA)/Gennett(2019FA) for prospect and bring up Orlando Arcia (after 2 weeks)

2) move Braun to 1B, which frees up OF for combo (5) of K.Davis, Santiago, Phillips, Reed, Taylor, Peterson, Wren, Roache

3) trade/release Rogers & Guez- as there would be no place for either. and because we kept them in 2016, if they had nice years- we could trade them for prospects.

2017 TRADE DEADLINE

1) Trade Jonathan LuCroy (last yr) if Brewers are not in contention, but regardless- I wouldn't resign him. Hopefully between the unloading of Gennett, Segura, Garza, K-Rod, & Lind, and other minor pieces, we'll be able to acquire both a future catcher and third baseman.

They should move anyone not named Arcia or Phillips that brings legit value back. In particular, I think they have to move Luc. I don't see his value increasing as his contract time shrinks and he ages, likely playing for a bad team. I don't want to see pure salary dumps, but guys like Lind, Smith, Davis, etc. may surprise with what they'd bring back. I'd love to see Garza moved, even for a similar bad contract, but that is likely a pipe dream. Plug the holes in the lineup with make good type free agents on no more than a one year deal.

1. Deal Segura and whatever deal sweetener is needed to San Diego and attempt to get Solarte in return. This solves several issues. Opens up SS initially for Sardinas, but for Arcia around June 1st. Adds solid major league left-handed bat to lineup sorely needing balance at greatest position of need. Opens up the possibility of dealing Lind if you are so inclined (I'm not), who without the addition of another lefty bat I'd hold on to until next year's deadline.

2. Don't deal Lind this offseason. His value isn't as great as some believe and it might be higher at the deadline. Besides the roster is unbalanced with RH bats and it's unlikely Lind will bring back an A list prospect especially if you narrow it down to one position.

3. Explore landing a true top of the rotation starter in FA, either Price or Zimmermann. No matter how good the everyday prospects are, they won't be able to compete without a top of the rotation stud and nobody is going to trade a prospect that projects as one. Signing the C level guys doesn't work. Step up with the big boys. This move is not so much for 2016 but for 2017-2020.

4. Extend Lucroy. There's no heir apparent anywhere in the system and having a veteran backstop is invaluable when you are likely to see an influx of young pitchers. Besides getting offense from that position gives them an edge and they'll need edges anywhere they can get them.

5. Short leash for Garza. I'd give him 8 starts. If he struggles like he did in 2015, adios. Cubs dumped Jackson and ate his salary. This is similar.

6. Keep Davis for now. Getting that kind of production at pre-arby prices is just too valuable. Once Phillips is ready to take over CF, then decide who can you deal, Braun or Davis.

7. Explore the market for K-Rod. Deal him if you get your price. Unlike all the other trade possibilities, K-Rod's value will never be higher and until they get to the point where they take more leads into the 9th, they can do without a high priced closer.

This team is not bad as it is or it's record indicates and it will get better the moment Arcia and later Phillips step on the field. But the difference between the Brewers and the playoff teams in the NL lies at the top of the rotation. I don't see that stud ace in the Brewer system unless Nelson takes another big step. I sense a lot of fans on here actually are afraid of this team looking decent out of the gate next year and that somehow would derail long term building and that's why they want Lind and Lucroy dealt. Fear not. Winning is good anytime but I don't think you'd see the new GM sacrificing key prospects to add talent if they happen to be close in July. Maybe from a position of some depth sure. They could use Sardinas as a chip, or Roache perhaps, but losing them wouldn't cripple the organization. The minor league system is strong and will get stronger after next season's draft. Reflexively dealing players just because they can get even more prospects should be done only with a specific plan in mind.

I would also add Lucroy to the "should trade" list this offseason. Having had some concussions, I am sympathetic, but that showed how easily Lucroy's value could go from getting a return similar to what we got for Gomez to having zero value. Having him on the roster next year will not make us a playoff team, and he's not going to raise his trade value any higher than it is, so we should trade him rather than take the risk that something bad happens.

I don't think it will be possible to trade Braun this offseason with his back surgery putting up a big black cloud for anyone who may have been interested in trading for him. That leaves us with a logjam of corner OF, and probably means Santana will start the year in CF. This isn't the end of the world, but Phillips is a potential star, and should be MLB ready soon. It will be interesting to see what the Brewers do with him, as none of Davis, Santana, Braun or Phillips should sit on the bench. This will probably work itself out with an injury, or a mid-season trade of Davis or Braun.

This situation is mirrored with Segura. I don't know what value he'd have in trade, but for the Brewers he is now a placeholder until Arcia is ready. I would like to see Segura moved for something of value, but if that isn't possible, I guess he'll be a utility player by the end of next season.

All in all, it should be a big offseason, and the potential trades of Lucroy, Lind and K-Rod could set us up nicely for the years ahead. Hopefully Attanasio did his homework and Stearns makes the most of this opportunity.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I completely disagree beyond belief about even looking into the price tag of an Ace in FA. You absolutely do not even consider a move like that until you are truly ready to compete. We are going to pay 20-30 million for a guy to lose for 2-3 seasons? When our new young core settles in & starts to produce and compete maybe but no sooner than that. Off season after 2018 if all goes to plan, possibly. Just cause we call up a bunch of 21-22 year olds like Phillips & Arcia, doesn't mean they will light the world on fire from day one and help lead team to greatness in 1st season or 2

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Agree with Geezy, no way that should be in play.

I also disagree with an extension on Lucroy unless it's very team friendly. I don't want anything resembling Molina's deal. However, I wouldn't say you have to trade him this offseason. I think his value can greatly be increased if he comes back healthy and hitting next year. He had a horrible season, if he's hitting like he did the previous couple seasons around the ASB they could get a big return.

I also disagree to keep Lind because his value will increase by ASB? By then the potential suitors will be limited and the team won't be able to give a QO when he's a FA. Moreover, it risks injury for an injury prone player. Not worth the risk, trade him now.

Paying catchers bigger money past the age of 30 is insane. Paying a catcher who has head issues past the age of 30 is ludicrous. I would move him this offseason if the right package was there for the taking but I would be inclined to having him start next year on our team hoping he gets back to his regular form and them trade him for another set of prospects that will help this team in the next 2-3 years.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Major thing is we need to move away from this Herb Kohl, old Mark A type approach to building a team. If you are going to rebuild/retool do it! Don't sign an Ace lock up Lucroy, keep Lind just to keep us sort of competitive over the next few years. Figure out who the core for your future is and trade from there. If Stearns isn't sure yet about Davis, Gennett, Segura, give them another year to prove their worth.

I'm 100% committed to Braun in this retooling/rebuild however. I think you find a place for him. He is the first star player since Robin Yount to say and show he wanted to be a Brewer for life. Even through a rebuild I think that is important to have that constant. He is well worth the money in my opinion. I see him staying at least a .280 hitter with a high OBP hitting 25hrs & 90 rbis a season guy

It's is important to remember that hardy hart weeks fielder didn't just come up and we took the league by storm. Took time to adjust and grow. Then Braun and Yo came up and sparked them to push them over top. Pirates, Cubs, and other top rebuilds the same way. Some think Arcia will come and the franchise will be saved Right way. Thing is, Arcia is not Braun and will not have the huge offensive impact as him or a Kris Bryant did right away. He will probably be closer to Frankie Lindor type impact. Good but not going turn around a team right away. Give him, 2-3 years to grow and improve.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

There is no scenario where the Brewers should extend Lucroy. They should trade him while he is still young and has significant value.

Lind will probably stay because of the incomprehensible lack of 1b in the game today and the Brewers not having much in the farm to realistically say can be be the guy. Moving Braun to 1B makes the most sense given his very expensive glass body and Davis being in LF. But I dont see where the Brewers are considering this? Lind becomes a nice trade piece if Braun is moved to 1B.

There doesn't seem to be much a market for KRod so he should stay given a relatively low cost.

Arcia should be the SS as soon as the clock can start on him and Segura or Scooter can be traded.

I see the pitching being what it is depending on the Lucroy trade.

I have no interest in the FA market at this point until we see what we have with the young guys and the team is ready to compete.

1) Trade Davis, Lucroy, Lind while values are near-peak. (Braun moves back to LF; Santana to RF; Rogers to 1b...80/20 platoon with a LH power bat)

2) Offer Parra a 1-year deal to play CF. Barring that, find a veteran willing to mentor our CF of the future or suck it up and go with the in-house options for the better part of a year.

3) Implement a plan to scale back on Will Smith's usage during the season, so he's not limping to the finish line for a 3rd season in a row.

4) Listen to trade offers on Garza; move him if you can get decent value, but expect to have to cut him loose during the season (if he struggles) or deal him at the deadline (if he bounces back).

1. Aggressively shop Lind, Segura, and Rodriguez. Be very open to trading Gennett if anyone wants him; he's a stopgap, easily replaceable.

2. Trade Lucroy only for a premium offer, a major overpay. I'm not averse to keeping him. He's a good enough catcher to help substantially in the young pitchers' development.

3. Move Braun to 1b. Enough already. It's where he belongs now. Play Santana every day in RF. I like Rogers as a bench bat, but he's too old and limited to prioritize making space for.

4. Strongly consider trading Davis. This pains me, because he's my favorite player on the team, but my other favorite was Fiers. If we move Braun to 1b, we can still use Davis in lf, and I don't think he's going to lose value over the next year. But if someone wants to overpay now for a RH power bat, great.

5. In trades, always look to get back BPA (best prospects available), but put a thumb on the scale in favor of infielders. We'll soon have a potential star at ss, but we don't have a single player in the organization who is, or projects as, a quality starter at any other infield position (which isn't to say some of our minor leaguers won't develop further). (I'm not counting Lind because I want him traded.)

6. Decide on a closer -- my money is on Jeffress -- and be willing to trade another bullpen vet (Smith, Blazek) who brings back something we need more than another bullpen vet.

7. Try very hard to trade Garza. If no one bites, release him. If he throws another pitch for this team, it's a slap in the face to everyone in the organization who works hard, conducts himself professionally, and takes responsibility for his actions. This would be a great way for Stearns to assert himself.

8. Do not sign any premium free agents. Sign or trade for guys who you control for one or two years, who fill gaps, and who won't block anybody important (i.e., look for infielders and maybe a cf). But if you have a prospect who projects to produce almost as well as whatever Johnny Someguy free agent is available, just play the prospect. (I'm thinking here of Michael Reed.)

9. Figure out the rotation. Peralta, Nelson, and Jungmann are locks at this point. Davies seems like a near lock. Evaluate Thornburg, Pena, and Cravy. In a sense, everyone is auditioning next year, because we'll also have a AAA rotation full of young potential MLB guys. No one's a lock for 2017.

10. I won't do all the details, because this is in another thread, but aggressively clear the dead wood out of the 40-man roster to make room for the young guys we'll need to protect from Rule 5.

Find 8 guys that give them constant good at bats. Meaning the Segura, Gennetts of this team, say good bye.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

In general, Greg's post mirrors what I'd like to see Milwaukee do. There are two items which I'd tweak ever so slightly.

I'd be inclined to be more aggressive trying to move Lucroy due to his age and injury history. I think his value will only go down from this point forward, and I think he may only be one more errant foul-tip from being an ex-catcher, which would cause his value to dip further. I wouldn't give him away to be sure, but I don't think I'd need to be bowled over to move him.

The other thing I'd consider is including Smith in the mix for the 2016 rotation. As a hard-throwing lefty with good stuff, I think his ceiling as a starter may be higher than Thornberg et al. Plus, if he fails, he's a known quantity as a reliever who can still be moved for prospects.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

First post here, so be easy on me!

I would aggressively shop everyone on the team to try and fill our 3B dilemma and bolster our pitching depth with a few exceptions:

1. Hold onto Braun. He had a great bounce back season and for the most part the thumb procedure seemed to work. This off season surgery should be fairly minor and I fully expect Braun to have a better season next year if he can stay healthy. His contract is not as terrible as made out to be with the way FA are getting money thrown at them left and right. I think he can be a key piece in this rebuild on the field and in the club house.

2. Only trade Lucroy if we are totally blown away. Lucroy is very important to developing these young pitchers. Even though he may not be a factor in the total rebuild, he will be key in getting us there. I would see if he has a bounce back year, mentor the young guys, and hope his stock bounces back though out 2016. He can also provide relief at 1B since I fully expect Lind to be moved in the off season.

I would also like to see a lot of different pitchers take the mound in 2016. Use 2016 as a total rebuild year and see what we have to work with. The only 3 I would like to see with a constant spot is Peralta, Nelson, and Garza (Until the trade deadline). Hopefully Garza will bounce back and can be moved at that time.

FYI - I have been watching you guys communicate on here for a couple weeks and really enjoy the constructive baseball chatter. I was posting on MLB.com for some time and that place is a complete dumpster fire. Zero moderators and all name calling. I really look forward to the discussion on here!

First post here, so be easy on me!

Get out!... while you still can! (First lesson; if you see something in blue, it is said sarcastically or joking.

This place is addicting because of the great people who post her and everyones love for the Brewers.

Welcome!

Put every player on the trade block. This team from top to bottom isn't talented enough to not listen to offers on every player.

This. They need to be open to any deal at any time. None of this "wait to trade Lind when his value is higher" or "Braun is a team guy, he can't be traded."

They have no obvious long term solution at C,1B,2B, or 3B. More young depth for starting pitching than they've had in well...maybe forever. But no guarantees they're all set there, by a long-shot. Plus, this entire team is incredibly right handed.

So what does that mean? Be open to absolutely anything if it makes sense for a team to start competing (for real) in 2018. That means no Segura, Lucroy, Lind, Garza, KRod, Gennett and probably no Braun. Even Peralta can be dealt if the price is right.

I really do get they need to consider selling tickets, future TV contracts, etc. But a few years in a row of 75-87 won't exactly make people rush to buy season tickets. And that's exactly what will happen if they try to keep the team "competitive" instead of rebuilding.

I really do get they need to consider selling tickets, future TV contracts, etc. But a few years in a row of 75-87 won't exactly make people rush to buy season tickets. And that's exactly what will happen if they try to keep the team "competitive" instead of rebuilding.

Makes me think of the saying "You win 60 and lose 60. It's what you do with the other 42 that makes the difference." Even in a rebuild, we're going to win 60-70 games, so I don't think the extra few wins we'll get from putting on a PR show of competitiveness will make that much difference in ticket sales. I think Wisconsin fans are great fans, and if the team is honest with them about their rebuilding strategy, they will embrace it. I actually think the fanbase will be more energized with good young players than they will with another 30-something, B-level free agent signing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I guess I'd start from a philosophy, and build from there. My philosophy would be young pitching (with an emphasis on ground balls), defense (with a corresponding emphasis on infield defense), and getting runners on base and hitting extra base hits. I wouldn't necessarily value batting average or steals, would tolerate lesser defense at first base and outfield corners, and might in the short term accept, as an example, a third baseman who doesn't hit for average but has a bit of pop, draws some walks, and plays great defense. (Not that we have that guy...) None of that is radical, but it leverages some existing strengths (young GB pitchers, Arcia coming up), plays to the park, and gives you a way forward. I'd tape it up on the front office walls. Counsell should be able to but in...that was him as a player, really.

Then you decide from there, considering contract status, who fits the plan, and consider where upgrades might come. A mediocre to bad defensive infielder who never walks? Goodbye...we can find good defensive infielders who never walk and at least have good defense for our young pitchers. An mediocre flyball starter with a bad contract and attitude? See ya.

3 teams in this division are going to finish the season winning at least 91+ games and making the playoffs. I see no reason to believe that the Cubs or Cardinals will regress any time soon, and definitely not in the next 2 years barring crazy unforeseen injuries. While I believe that the Pirates will continue to be very solid, perhaps one could make a case that they might be the team we could catch in the future, but if I'm being honest with myself, I see zero line of sight for Milwaukee competing for a playoff spot anytime in the next 2 years. Minimum

While I'm not advocating a salary dump for players like Luc or Nelson, there should be no person on this roster off limits. Dump salary for some, get what you can for most guys, and hold out for a great return with others. But there shouldn't be anyone that is "off limits". Likewise, I would hope that they don't entertain any significant FA moves, beyond filling positions cheaply. Going out and "making a splash" to try to keep fans happy is lunacy, IMP as I don't see any possible way we compete for a playoff spot next year. Focus on scouting and the draft, dump as much salary as possible for offseason 2016+ while stock up on as much young talent as possible, and build a plan to compete in 2018. Perhaps 2017, but probably 2018.

1. Sign Austin Jackson to play CF next year on a 1-year deal.

2. Trade Lind, Segura, Gennett, and Lucroy.

3. Have Perez, Rivera, and Sardinas play 2B/SS/3B.

4. Garza to the Dodgers for Crawford, Barnes, and Holmes with the Brewers taking on 90% of Crawford's salary or Garza for Ethier and Barnes with the Brewers taking on all of Ethier's salary.

4. Garza to the Dodgers for Crawford, Barnes, and Holmes with the Brewers taking on 90% of Crawford's salary or Garza for Ethier and Barnes with the Brewers taking on all of Ethier's salary.

I find it really hard to believe that the Dodgers would take the worst pitcher in the league with a terrible salary for Ethier or Crawford. Those two are quite serviceable and I am sure they could find a much better deal elsewhere.

1. Trade Garza, Lind, Khris Davis and K-Rod. Get prospects, competitive balance picks, and international signing slots. Extend Lucroy to develop the pitchers.

2. Move Bruan to third, let an outfield combo emerge from Santana, Peterson, Reed, and other young OFs on the roster. Stick with Gennett and Segura for a year, and let Rogers play first for 2016.

3. Sort the rotation after Nelson, Peralta, and Jungmann from the group of Thornburg, Cravy, Lopez, Ortega, Brent Suter, Davies, and Wang.

4. Piece together a bullpen.

Archived